ribs in pressure cooker

ukchefstexandream

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
britishbulldog
Hi guys,

I would like to say hi to all my brothers in arms for flavour out there on my first nervous sortie into the real-deal bbq fraternal discussion forum... bit of background... middle-aged passionate chef from UK recently very interested in bbq having built a bbq from a on old half-oil drum style bbq put on a steel welded frame (pretty basic I know).

I have my own favourite bbq sauces and meat rubs, and my most recent success was pressure cooking racks of ribs and then putting them on the bbq to crisp up. I then found a great coating sauce simply made with finely chopped thyme, garlic, molasses, ketchup, pinch of smoked paprika and freshly brewed coffee, dijon mustard (little bit). probably not at all traditional to you guys but wondered if any of you had road tested this?

Coffee has enzymes in and is supposed to further tenderise the meat...

In due course I'd like to learn from you guys the history of bbq and understand the traditional texan sauces, etc.

because i've been cooking for 40 years I now really make my own stuff up based on what i think'll work

i also got handed this recipe last week and will try it at the weekend which will probably offend you traditionalists:

1L soy sauce
1L teriyaki
5 bulbs garlic
5 star anis
500g honey
1 tin black treacle
300g ginger
500ml red wine vinegar

i'd love your thoughts!

I've done spare ribs in a pressure cooker before, and finished under the oven broiler to set the sauce, as well as in an air fryer. I don't think you'll need extra assistance getting ribs tender with the pressure cooker, assuming that they are cooked sufficiently long. If anything they might get too tender. Obviously, it's not "barbecue", but tender fatty pork covered in a caramelized sauce can be good. That recipe sounds like you might wind up with something similar to Asian/Korean sticky ribs.

Last edited:
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Barbecue has been a part of American culture for 250 years. Before regional barbecue (North Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis, Texas to name a few) became more defined for cuts of meat, spices, sauces etc., the general idea of cooking meat over fire was pretty basic. And the seasonings were too. Salt was inexpensive, but pepper was a prized spice, in fact peppercorns could be used in lieu of money in some parts of the world. Today, many purists often cook with salt and pepper only, (maybe some basting liquid) and let the magic of fire and smoke add flavors.

If you divide barbecue into two periods.... before refrigeration and transportation was common, and after refrigeration and transportation was common, you notice that cooking habits were different. For example, cooking whole hogs or large roasts of pork, beef and wild game for large groups was popular before refrigeration.

Eventually, cooks wanted to add some variety, so seasonings, and sauces became more popular. You will have a lot of fun researching Texas barbecue, things like the popular cuts of meat and sausages, flavor profiles, woods used and even side dishes.

HERE is a summary of sorts of Texas barbecue

And this COOKBOOK has some starter recipes to check out.

Back