Is it safe to assemble BBQ pork & beans ahead of time?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey everyone,

I'm preparing for a big BBQ we're hosting for my local hood. My wife is injured and incapacitated so I'm a one man show. The event is Sunday afternoon and I want to prepare as much ahead of time as possible.

I'm making Malum Reed's BBQ Baked Beans recipe which includes canned baked beans, added condiments, spices, onions, peppers and garlic, and left over smoked pulled pork.

Can I assemble this today (i.e. Friday), and safely store covered in fridge until I put it in the oven late Sunday morning?

Are there any food safety risks?

Thanks in advance.
JD

I'm no food safety expert, but in my experience, most foods stay good in a properly sealed container in the fridge from 3 to 5 days without issues. Anything more than 5 days should be frozen or thrown out. Just make sure to bring it up to temp to kill any nasties before serving and you should be OK.

I'm no food safety expert, but in my experience, most foods stay good in a properly sealed container in the fridge from 3 to 5 days without issues. Anything more than 5 days should be frozen or thrown out. Just make sure to bring it up to temp to kill any nasties before serving and you should be OK.

Thanks much folks!
JD

That is exactly what I did with my beans for Super Bowl. I made them Saturday, and did everything except heat them in oven, put a lid on and heated them up Sunday. Worked great!

Yep, agreeing with the crew. To me a good bean recipe is like a chili or stew and tends to be better the next day anyways. Even if I have the time, I prefer to cook it in advance and let everything co-mingle for a night. It also gives you flexibility the next day-if you want more smoke, just threw the opened in the smoker to reheat. If it's good and how you want, then the oven is perfect.

Yep, agreeing with the crew. To me a good bean recipe is like a chili or stew and tends to be better the next day anyways. Even if I have the time, I prefer to cook it in advance and let everything co-mingle for a night. It also gives you flexibility the next day-if you want more smoke, just threw the opened in the smoker to reheat. If it's good and how you want, then the oven is perfect.

Thanks!
JD

Back