Meadow Creek Smokers : Why so pricey?

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Over the last few months I was scouring the internet vigorously for a new smoker and I was upset that there weren't many custom pit builders in my region (eastern North Carolina). I did, however, come across Meadow Creek smokers quite a few times as they have some dealers not too far away. But the prices of their smokers are dramatically higher than just about anybody else on the market.

Looking at the Meadow Creek TS 120P I saw the base cost with no upgrades is roughly $3500. That's a 20" x 42" offset smoker with 1753 square inches of cooking area. That's the base price for the "patio" style cooker not on a trailer.
Looking at competitors cookers like Yoder, Lang, LSG, and GatorPit, all of those pitbuilders have a very similar size and style cooker for about $1000 less.

Yoder Durango : 22" x 42" with 2242 square inches, base cost : $2670
LoneStarGrills : 24" x 40" with 2066 square inches, base cost : $2050
GatorPits 20" x 40" with ~1600 square inches, base cost : $2450
Lang 48" 22" x 48" with 2330 square inches , base cost : $1895

I recognize that all pits are built differently with different quality, but is there something special about the Meadow Creek offset pits that I'm not recognizing? Just really curious as I can't understand how they are basing their prices.

I know that lonestar grills doesn't have to feed wholesaler and retailer profit .. which could be part of it. I have one ordered .. so perhaps I'm a little partial.

As with anything the price just keeps going up. Amish built, I looked at a 120p and t,settled on the PR60t, I wanted something i could do most anything on, especially higher heat situations. However the main reason was shipping, better than a grand to ship, like most cookers down south, 48 hours round trip non stop to the Shirley Fab Factory is a loooong ride . I picked mine up just across the border Indiana, the unit is a great cooker, if I had one complaint it would be the Paint job, it was thin and discolored fast, a little thicker high heat paint and a clean machine before you paint would be best.

I think that all the racks inside are stainless steel which is an upgrade to most cookers.

As a fellow in the Houston area, I visited both Klose and Gator many times before going with LSG. Just could not see any difference at all in build quality between them so went with Lonestar. No idea why some builders are higher than others. Rich at Gator Pits, for example, builds a really nice product but for the life of me, I cannot understand why he charges so much. Regardless, his business model seems to be working well. Plus, he is a great guy but..so is Chris at LSG.

BQGrills in Elm City has turned out some nice cookers...I moved back to the western half of the state a few years back so can't speak to recent products. Also, a short hop down the coast, you will find Built Rite Cookers...Donnie Boston does good work and has some unbelievably good prices. If you're up to an overnighter and don't mind the wait, you could get yourself a Shirley...Quite possibly the highest quality cooker money can buy.

I'm going to assume because it's a specialty market and they (builders) know and do charge what the market will bear. I'm not sure how builders valuate their hours but I believe the (hours)costs more than the materials. Plus these guys are master craftsmen. Just my two cents.

JMHO 24" is the minimum you want to go.

I guess I should have posted this in the OP but I found and ordered a pit from a custom pit builder in Ennis, Tx called Johnson Smokers. I was looking for a good pit for catering / competition / general use, and I found this and was pretty much sold immediately.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-chargrill-trailer/

It has basically the same dimensions and functionality of a Lang 60" Chargrill Deluxe, but it just kind of "spoke" to me a bit more than the Lang or any of the other pits.

The purpose of this thread was just a general inquiry as to why the Meadow Creek offset smokers are so much more expensive than others of equivalent size and quality. I was wondering if they were doing something above and beyond on their base model which would account for the ~$1000 differential between equivalent pits from other builders.

Someone mentioned stainless steel racks... on the pit that I linked I upgraded to stainless steel racks in the main chamber, the grill, and the vertical grill / warming box for a grand total of $205. So stainless steel racks aren't a huge cost.

I guess it really just all comes down to what they feel they can charge and still make money. It doesn't seem like their cookers are any better / worse than what I listed, just their business strategy I guess.

They are very well built- I use to have a 120 If I was to get one now I would want an insulated firebox

I will also add that most use expanded metal stainless steel racks. Meadow Creeks are very heavy and made from bar stock. As well as very high quality. Hard to beat thier fab work. Unless you look at the Shirley Fabrication. When comparing apples to apples. And quality of Craftsmenship. The Meadowcreeks are comparable in price. I do love mine.

If I were looking at one. These would be what I would be looking for. In no piticular order.
Shirley Fabrication
MeadowCreek
Lone star Grillz

I will also add that most use expanded metal stainless steel racks. Meadow Creeks are very heavy and made from bar stock. As well as very high quality. Hard to beat thier fab work. Unless you look at the Shirley Fabrication. When comparing apples to apples. And quality of Craftsmenship. The Meadowcreeks are comparable in price. I do love mine.

If I were looking at one. These would be what I would be looking for. In no piticular order.
Shirley Fabrication
MeadowCreek
Lone star Grillz

This sounds about right, appreciate the post. I haven't seen one in person so it's tough to tell. Shirely is basically out the equation for most people due to their 14+ month wait time. But even their 24" x 50" barrel model base price is priced at $2785.

Anyways, I appreciate your response and everybody the input from everybody else. Thanks guys!

Well if you weren't so far away I would sell mine. At a decent price.

They're great pits. It's one thing to look at pics and another when you see one in person.

Speaking of pics :becky: This one had the warmer oven too.

3DdVn01h.jpg

7HSFDvgh.jpg

NquGbfPh.jpg

I have this one listed in the forums for sale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 269
Back