Have you switched from your homemade rub to a commercial rub?

sandiegobbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been an executive chef in Alaska so I make my own rubs and sauces.

However, even though I have helped on some bbq teams I am basically a
backyard bbq cook.

I just can't seem to put my arms around using a commercial rub versus
what I can make.

Anyone that is an experienced cook here willing to tell me your reasons and have you found some that were better than your own concoctions.

It kind of shocked me when I saw in bbq competitions all of the
commercial stuff being used like kraft italian dressing, etc.etc.

Homemade dressing is easy as heck to make and way better than buying it.

My feeling is that commercial rubs are the same.

I will not buy a commercial bbq sauce.

Your thoughts?

There are some great rubs that use small amounts of numerous spices and as a result have great depth and complexity. I can't justify buying all those spices knowing they will sit on the shelf and eventually go bad.

I haven't been doing this long enough to switch from one to the other. I have use a commercial rub once so far and I used it because the ingredients sounded good and it was on sale.

I'll probably stick with home made at least until I have developed 4 or 5 good recipes that I really like. If I really like them I'll probably never switch to commercial stuff.

Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub is something that don't think I can reverse engineer and make as good.

Most rubs I use are my own creations based upon what I like the taste of. Sometimes I'll ask my daughter and my wife to sample of my dry rub and use their freedback to help tweak it towards perfection.

I mostly make my own rubs, but on a regular basis, I buy a rub, just to taste what other people are doing. I also like trying other people's rub recipes.

If you are coking for money, then your rub should be your own, or you should at least give proper credit. But, when you just want good eats for yourself, family and friends, experiment with whatever sounds god, IMO.

CD

Stick with what you know and like. Part of the magic of cooking is being totally you. Consider what would happen if you established your flavor profiles based on a commercial item, and then that company either reformulated or discontinued it.

I agree with you. I'm sure that many find the commercial rubs and sauces to be perfectly satisfactory for their purposes and look no further. For me, I expect the journey to bbq excellence to be a long one and never fully realized. That's why I mix up my own rubs (using freshly ground spices when available) and sauces almost exclusively. To each his own, but for me it is tough to beat freshly made sauces and custom blended rubs.

I really don't think it matters so long as you are happy with whatever rub/sauce you are using. But if you can make your own that you are just as happy with if not more, then more power to you. I will say that it can be expensive buying different rubs that you find just OK or are not very happy with. Reviews from fellow brethren are very valuable, that's for sure.

No. I'd raise the cow, pig, chicken, and all of the other stuff if I could. I like to spend the time and tinker with the rub/sauce. Whats another hour or two screwing around with herbs and spices if we all spend hours prepping, cooking, resting, carving, and eating what we love to cook? I'd rather gather the stuff I need rather than buying a bottle or bag of something I might not like. I will always like salt, pepper, sugar, and paprika. Even though I may not like a certain creation, I'll only make enough for one cook. My buddy keeps a journal. I get using commercial rubs/sauces, I do, and I'm sure they are good, otherwise nobody would buy them. I just prefer to do it myself.

the best commercial rubs and sauces are made by people just like you.

trust their time and effort.

No disrespect to anyone but I stopped reading this post at this point! I couldn't agree more...

That being said... I have an 8oz bottle of Plowboy's Yardbird (IMHO, one of the top commercial rubs) that I've had in the cupboard for about a year and I've used it all of two times! I have designed my bbq rub for ME, and in MY "opinion" I have yet to find a commercial rub that I'd rather use in my cooking [fullstop]......... Fark, I sprinkle my rub on fried eggs... :crazy:

Cheers

We use 90% commercial rubs and about 10% of our own. For us, it's much more economical. We used to make our own rubs and sauces, but not very often nowdays. There's just too much good product out there that has been time-tested and can deliver value and taste.

I don't have the money to sample all the sauces and rubs out there. I like my sauces and rubs, so I quit there. No offense.

I have always made my own. But recently decided to try the commercial route for a while. They get rave reviews here for sure. I don't know what you all spend on your homemade rubs but when I mix them at home its gets pricey quick. Getting a 16oz shaker for $6-10 is not a bad deal and gives me a little variety. Good ingredients don't seem to be very cheap in my area...Will see where I end up...

Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub is something that don't think I can reverse engineer and make as good.

Most rubs I use are my own creations based upon what I like the taste of. Sometimes I'll ask my daughter and my wife to sample of my dry rub and use their freedback to help tweak it towards perfection.

When you "sample" the rub, is that before it is cooked?

I have made my own rubs for over 25 years and got some Simply Marvelous in a trade round and have not made my own rub since. Steph's rubs are stand up and stand alone products. I think it's cheaper to buy them in the long run and they work on an assortment of thing. Great stuff!

I recently started using Brethren commercial rubs, blending for different aspects. When I first learned about this method, I immediately thought of the winemaker who blends different varietals to achieve a certain balance.

This weekend I made my own blend for pulled pork based on a recipe I found online but modified it for my own taste. Then I used a commercial rub for some ABTs I made.

The number of guests we were hosting doubled at the last minute (that's how we roll in our backyard), too late to start another butt, so I has two London broils in the fridge, I used Montreal on one, and then a commercial rub on the other, which I finished with some commercial sauce in my cubbed I have no idea how it got there,

While I think I nailed the Carolina style pulled pork, which was clearly the star of the night. one of my guests (who has a sophisticated pallet) raved about the sandwich he made with the rubbed/sauced London broil.

This reminds me, I want to order some 3 eyes

Back