Insulated firebox question

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have a commission for a custom pit, a small (24' diameter X 36" long) RF offset with an insulated firebox that I'm trying to spec out. The client's desire is to minimize weight, cost and footprint for their patio (I've already suggested a vertical but the client doesn't think verticals "look right":rolleyes:).

Here is my question: Do you think I can get away with 10-11 gauge (1/8 inch) for the inner box of a fully insulated (2" ceramic fiber) firebox? The outer shell will be the same 10-11 gauge (1/8" thickness).

Normally I would try to go with 1/4" for the inner box, but it is quite expensive in comparison to 10-11 gauge cut on a shear and I've started having really good success with 10-11 gauge on my verticals with an integral ash pan and fire basket like this one that keeps the really hot stuff away from the firebox walls by at least 1-1/2 inches:

1939bd98-8433-4f39-ac44-9aa5fffcb49f_zps5eec7110.jpg

Of course, the firebox would be designed for good airflow so they can use charcoal or splits; I usually try to hit about 115% of pit calculator recommendations after taking into account the fact that the lower portion of the firebox is taken up by the ash pan.

Any and all comments welcome. What say y'all?

Last edited:
I would think you would be just fine using that plate, I would probably weld some cross braces in the frame of the firebox to keep the internal panel from warping from the heat. JMO, other than that I think that would work great!!

Either bracket it like mentioned ( but that is added weight). Or using a X cross rib will work. I don't know if you have a bead roller or puilmax. A Jenny typically isn't strong enough to do that on 1/8 inch. Maybe the shop you use has a pullmax or heavy duty bead roller.
Just a thought.

If your goal is to minimize weight and cost, you don't have much of a choice do you? Weight adds girth and retains heat and makes for a better pit. Don't you love building for those that don't have a clue.

If your goal is to minimize weight and cost, you don't have much of a choice do you? Weight adds girth and retains heat and makes for a better pit. Don't you love building for those that don't have a clue.

Yea, but like every custom builder I know I still want to give them the best pit I can for what they want to spend. I'm thinkin I'll give them a cost for 1/8" and another for 1/4" and my best "if it was me" speach.

Yea, but like every custom builder I know I still want to give them the best pit I can for what they want to spend. I'm thinkin I'll give them a cost for 1/8" and another for 1/4" and my best "if it was me" speach.

Yup Yup Yup - Explain it to Him then its on Him, not you. :mrgreen:

Back