Brine for Chicken - please share experience

This thread reminded me that I needed to order some Naturific Harvest brine. Just sent in order for a one lb bag. I love dry brining.

John (Naturific) is one of us.

Dry brined with sea salt for 2 days at 3/4t per lb. No rinse. Great flavor throughout and ridiculously tender.

33011267684_125ce221e4_b.jpg

Dry brined with sea salt for 2 days at 3/4t per lb. No rinse. Great flavor throughout and ridiculously tender.

33011267684_125ce221e4_b.jpg

True dat.

With the proper amount of salt (1%-2% by weight), there is never a need to do a post Brine rinse when you dry brine.

This thread reminded me that I needed to order some Naturific Harvest brine. Just sent in order for a one lb bag. I love dry brining.

John (Naturific) is one of us.

Thanks for the order!

I tossed in a sample pack of our Hot Salt for you to try as well.
It does a great job on wings!

I’m with MadMan.....Cornell is a nice soak....but I still rub stuff under the skin....a lil of both for me......I’m also in the breast temp camp, as long as i pull my birds with breast temp 160-165 I have NEVER ...NEVER had dry chicken OR turkey no matter the brine or rub.....big believer

I’m with MadMan.....Cornell is a nice soak....but I still rub stuff under the skin....a lil of both for me......I’m also in the breast temp camp, as long as i pull my birds with breast temp 160-165 I have NEVER ...NEVER had dry chicken OR turkey no matter the brine or rub.....big believer

Exactly!

One guy said that professional chefs told him the only way to have moist white meat was to brine. That guy needs to talk to "chefs" that know how to cook! It's a shame that you only need to draw a paycheck to be considered a professional. LoL

Seriously though...if you don't overcook it, it'll be moist. That really shouldn't be hard to understand.

Lots of good info on this thread. Here's my 2 cents. Wet and dry brines are both effective. I've had good success with wet brines overnight, then no rub at all if I'm smoking the chicken. Like many have said, don't oversmoke, go first hour only, then just charcoal after that. You could finish on direct heat, but I don't. I've had success with dry brine for 3-6 hours, then a very low sodium rub for whatever flavor you want, same smoking rules. My wet brines all start with 1 tbsp. Kosher salt and 1 tbsp. brown sugar for each cup of water, then add flavors from there. There's a really good wet brine recipe for boneless/skinless chicken breasts in Chris Lilly's first book, that I use almost every time I grill or smoke chicken breasts.

One guy said that professional chefs told him the only way to have moist white meat was to brine.

That was me. In chatting with chefs who work at restaurants and what-not, they all pretty much told me I would need to brine turkey and chicken breast in order to get excellent and moist results. That's the intel/feedback I got and so I began brining and did find it made a difference. Only problem is that sometimes it can make it too salty. Seems it's a matter of salinity & time, sometimes it's hard to get it right.

I've never tried a dry brine, can't see how it would work as, if anything, you'd think the salt would pull moisture from the meat. Here again, I guess I need to give it a try.

This Naturific Harvest Brine sounds interesting...is that a dry brine or what?

That was me. In chatting with chefs who work at restaurants and what-not, they all pretty much told me I would need to brine turkey and chicken breast in order to get excellent and moist results. That's the intel/feedback I got and so I began brining and did find it made a difference. Only problem is that sometimes it can make it too salty. Seems it's a matter of salinity & time, sometimes it's hard to get it right.

I've never tried a dry brine, can't see how it would work as, if anything, you'd think the salt would pull moisture from the meat. Here again, I guess I need to give it a try.

Brining works, with while meat at least, if you have to play it safe for a crowd. If you only have to cook for a few people, I've always gotten better results cooking until it's done, then wrapping it in towels until it's time to serve, if you have to wait. Restaurant service is always a different situation from home service.

when i brine chicken, i use a fairly simple brine of water, kosher salt, brown sugar and garlic powder. brine over night, then prep everything and cook.

Yes, Naturiffic Harvest Brine is a dry brine that has been specifically formulated to help the meat withhold it's own moisture.

No need to soak in a salt water solution, just add to meat like a dry rub. It has won numerous awards, including 1st place in a Turkey Cook-off ran by the local BBQ store.

https://www.naturiffic.com/product2/harvest-brine

Two words.....Oakridge Game Changer. That may be 3 words, not sure. Good stuff though!
Yep! Look no further. This is the way to go. I brine pieces for 2-3 hours. Whole birds 3-4.

I hadn't brined until a few weeks ago. Just my opinion, and my family and friends that ate it. Best spatchcocked chicken I have ever made. I used Oakridge Game Changer(1/2 strength for about 12 hours), and it was AWESOME! A lot of brethren had recommended it "Thank you".. I don't Brine often..... but when I do...... It's Oakridge game changer lol.

Back