On-Going - Corned/Pastrami'd Shenanigans in the 505

giphy.gif

Into the fridge she goes for..... Oh, 4-5-7-ish days.

I'll probably end up vac-sealing some and cooking over the Holidays.

I put it in the brine and into the fridge on Saturday, 21 Nov 20.

I'll probably cook something from the batch during the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend, and save others for later.

The pork belly half and rack of ribs cuddle for warmth after I removed them from their weeklong brine bath.

S1VifVql.jpg

It's often very difficult to find juniper berries in the US. That said, I was blown away that they were readily available last weekend in the Rio Rancho Albertson's by the Cottonwood Mall!

I whipped up a batch of Bobberqer's pastrami rub from Thirdeye's Beef Pastrami Blog Post

I cut the black pepper by 1/3 in deference to my daughter's somewhat tender palate. I've missed making this... smells ridiculously good.

aBW1Ujnl.jpg

Starting to get a bit late with regards to starting a rack of ribs... so I pulled the pork belly.

Ribs on!

RAn1cYvl.jpg

I'm in complete MSU mode with half of this half a belly. I've seen a few other posts about pastrami burnt ends... gotta finish these in the oven...

JRwnZjKl.jpg

This looks good so far!

5fPgzuUl.jpg

Cut it up into cubes, hit it with a bit more pastrami rub, added in all the juices I could, and into the oven it goes to braise for about an hour while I make some decisions... suggestions always welcome.

ztixFEal.jpg

Meanwhile... for some reason... I need some of Tony & Maribel's Charro Beans!

(No pastrami'd pork was harmed in the making of these beans)

PrQ36TVl.jpg

Great stuff, Marc! I haven't pastrimi-ed anything in a billion years, which is my loss. This all looks great. Another one of yer threads bookmarked!

And as to chicks with colored hair - they can be, uh, passionate and expressive - which at times works out very nicely. At least that's how I remember it being up until about...28 or so years ago, when my research concluded...

I needed a glaze of some sort, so I reached back into the forum and found Joshw's Pastrami Burnt Ends experiment from 2019.

Into the home stretch. Pastrami without mustard seems wrong, so I made a beer and mustard glaze, to go on it. Has beer, cider vinegar, monkfruit sweetener, honey, dijon mustard, spicy brown mustard, crushed yellow and brown mustard seeds, caraway seeds, thyme.

I used dijon mustard, German senf, apple cider vinegar, kraut juice, pickle juice, honey, garlic, mustard seeds, and thyme.

qSRY37Cl.jpg

CINCHOUSE said it reminds her of a reuben sammich. Excellent.

I seem to remember someone doing pastrami bacon before... Jason TQ, perhaps?

I wonder how this'll work if I put it in the fridge overnight and give it my best try at a "thick bacon slice" followed by a fry-up in the cast iron skillet for breakfast.

1lJT4Rdl.jpg

I don't think I ever really bacond it. But it should work?? :twitch:

I don't think I ever really bacond it. But it should work?? :twitch:

It'll buff out. :noidea:

Meanwhile, 2 hours of braising later, I added the glaze to the pan of pork belly. 30 min covered, then I'll roll uncovered until the sauce/glaze tightens up.

edRx3Hdl.jpg

Stole a taste before and after the glaze. Dayum!

Ribs look good, if a little washed-out in the afternoon light. Some crispy crust from the rub sticking hard to the brined meat. Think I'll go w/o the wrap this time around for a change.

27fTOb0l.jpg

S7tTol1l.jpg

Nugfp3Bl.jpg

tdYzZUFl.jpg

Hb2t4q1l.jpg

Partial Fail - To be expected.

Pork belly - Was doubled-over in the brine. Took the seasoning well. Absolutely delicious w/ the glaze. Next Time - 4 Days max in brine for safety.

Spare Ribs - Delicious for the first 3-4 bites, then the brine hit us. Holy Smokes. Next Time - 4 Days max in brine.

With this knowledge, I'm going to pull the picnic tomorrow, and actually soak it in fresh water for 24 hours before I freeze it for future use.

Learning has occurred. Family still fed. Pride took minor ding.

It'll buff out.

Back