My attempt at Big Bob Gibson's Alabama white sauce chicken

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I caught an episode of Man Fire Food where they visited some Alabama BBQ joints, including Big Bob Gibson's. Chris Lilly and the host of the show walked through the chicken cooking process for the famous "Alabama white sauce chicken". I'd done this recipe quite a few years ago and remember liking it, but after seeing it in action I got a hankering for it again.

I started off by spatchcocking one of Costco's new "air chilled" whole chickens. I've been pretty happy cooking these birds since they started carrying them, it seems like they're targeting the "Smart Chicken" fresh never frozen buyer. The price is right too - I think they're like $1/lb or so? I deviated from the Big Bob Gibson's recipe by dry brining in advance using coarse sea salt, then I popped it into the chamber vac and sealed it for what ended up being several days.

I setup my Primo XL with the charcoal divider for an indirect cook running at 300*. B&B lump charcoal and a regular application of pecan wood chips. At Big Bob Gibson's they salt the chickens right before they hit the cooker, but since I dry brined mine I just patted it dry and put it on the grate breast up, legs towards the heat.

About 2/3's the way through the cook, I brushed on a healthy application of vegetable oil all over the skin, flipped the bird over, and then did the same to the underside. Big Bob's gives theirs a dunk in some sort of oil...they didn't say in the show, my WAG would be peanut oil or something like that, but I didn't feel like lugging my big ol jug of it out of the basement to brush one chicken so I stuck with vegetable oil. After the oil was applied, I gave it a generous sprinkling of coarse black pepper.

Once the internal temp was closing in on my target I flipped it breast side up, applied some more black pepper to the skin, and cooked for about 15 more minutes. The skin was nice and crispy at this point. I pulled the bird off the grill and put it on a cooling rack on top of a pan, let it cool for a few minutes, and then mopped on a couple coatings of the white sauce.

Turned out pretty tasty :thumb: basting the bird in oil on the last leg of the cook did seem to have a good effect. The white sauce is basically mayonnaise, white vinegar, apple juice, horseradish, lemon juice, and salt/pepper/cayenne. It was a nice change of pace. Someday I'd like to try the real thing to see how mine stacked up. :clap2:

Last edited:
Looks good, I have his book at home,it's a great read.
That sauce is very good on lamb, corn etc as well

That’s some good lookin’ chicken right there !!!!
I am a fan of the the white sauce also.
Anybody I serve it to always gives it a thumbs up,,

You sure did a fine job on that chicken! Everything looks fantastic, you may have Chris Lilly calling you:wink:

Looks fantastic! I just bought the ingredients to make some white sauce today since no one carries a pre made around here. I think I may order some online to compare to what I make. We actually have a recipe for a similar marinade. mayonnaise, zesty Italian, cayenne, garlic powder. That we have used on chicken before grilling. Pretty good and very similar

Your chicken looks simply fantastic. I love chicken with white sauce.

On another note, I cant remember who is was that recently posted Chris Lilly's recipe but it's now my go too for white sauce. I always bought the original BBG sauce from the source and it's good but rather strong with the vinegar.
Lilly's recipe.
2 cups mayo
1/2 cup white vinegar (I use 1/4 cup...perfect)
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsp prepared horseradish
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.

That sure looks good bud. That is about the only way I will eat chicken anymore. Alabama white sauce is so versatile, you can tweak it countless ways and it is still good.

It did seem a bit on the runny side, that’s an interesting idea. I gather it’s not supposed to be a thick caked on sauce anyway but when the meat is hot it seems to liquify it and much of it slides off.

Now that's some mouth watering chicken. Wife has been hankerin for a whole chicken cook. Might have to finally give the white sauce a whirl. Also thanks for the Costco tip

Turned out pretty tasty :thumb: basting the bird in oil on the last leg of the cook did seem to have a good effect. The white sauce is basically mayonnaise, white vinegar, apple juice, horseradish, lemon juice, and salt/pepper/cayenne. It was a nice change of pace. Someday I'd like to try the real thing to see how mine stacked up. :clap2:

Looks like a great meal!

Do we not have the sauce locally? I know I've seen it in stores...but I can't remember if it was in town or during travels.

Hmm...not sure I’ve seen it locally, but I never made an effort to look for it either. I’d pick up a bottle to compare what I made to “the real deal”.

Back