Fried Grilled Chicken Thighs

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I tried a new technique for indirect grilling on the Goldens' last night. Rather than using the searing plate under the grates, I used one of my extra grates for additional height and protected the thighs from direct flame with a baking tray. It seems to have worked.

The thighs were dry brined and left uncovered in the fridge for two days to help dry out the skin. I dipped them in egg, then into a mix of Lefty's and Old Bay.

Out on the Goldens' with some sausage that needed grilling -

iTC5EaW.jpg

Looking good after about a half hour -

0JOmnF3.jpg

And after 45+ minutes they're looking really good -

rBqwXyF.jpg

Nothing like fried grilled chicken!

cFeBKuv.jpg

Together with the sausage and roasted cauliflower -

dswBDxu.jpg

Definitely a successful experiment. Sometimes the use of the searing plate results in too much of an indirect cooking effect, so this turned out well. The cookie sheet was a bear to clean, I should have covered it in foil. But it's one of my grilling trays rather than one we use in the oven. I would have caught hell for that!

The dry brine and air time in the fridge are key to a crispy fried grilled chicken.

Regards,
-lunchman

Dom, Dom... that chicken looks fantastic. Tell me more about this Lefty's, please.

Lefty's Original Fish & Chicken Mix https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8T6GZR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_H35ZPNK10M0Y3NJBWWGG

I pretty much ignore the package instructions which say to use it wet by mixing with water and use it like I would a bread crumb mixture. Lefty's is great all by itself, their seasoning combo is very flavorful. But for the heck of it I added a few tablespoons of Old Bay.

Gonna try your egg wash gig on some wings tonight. Followed up with Zatarains chicken fry mix. I like it as much as Lefty's.

Look amazing as usual Dom! I love me some grill fried chicken. Fried effect minus all the grease.

Killer bird, Dom!

Need to check out this Lefty's... as you already had me at "Old Bay!"

The baking tray sure seemed to do the trick with high, indirect heat!

Have a great week!

Looks amazing Dom. I heard about lefty's a while ago but, was never able to find it. Looks like I am going to have to break down and order via your link. Thanks!

They look really good. But I think I missed a step in the process. When do they get fried? What I saw looked baked, if anything.

They have the crispiness of fried chicken, except they're grilled. No oil needed. No frying.

I probably should put the fried in fried grilled chicken in quotes. A good number of recipes use this technique for a reasonably crispy fried chicken, referring to it as fried grilled chicken. I've done the same.

Back