Please school me on good grits.

I believe most of the quick grits are made by 2 or 3 companies. I have a buddy that works for ADM here in town. They only make white corn grits. He said they make several different brands as well as unbranded for hospitals and prisons.
The plant used to be owned by Martha White for years. That's the brand of grits and cornmeal that everybody around here always used.
I haven't tried the stone-ground grits. I like to sub a little heavy cream or milk for some of the water and add sharp cheddar at the end.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/baked-cheese-grits
We use a recipe similar to this for bbq side dish. Leave out the worsty sauce and add lots of crushed red pepper.

Had cheese grits last night with supper. We usually have them for breakfast. I like butter and sugar with mine and the wife does butter and salt&pepper.

You can make good grits with quick grits (not instant) but sadly at this time I don't think even most southerners have had 'real' grits. Find someone who sells stone ground grits - they need to be fresh and if they're not refrigerated they can germinate. The difference is amazing. The brand I find locally is Logan Turnpike Mills and you can google and find them online.

The stone ground grits cook up creamy and with a lot of flavor even without the cream/butter/cheese that everyone adds to quick grits to make up for what they've lost.

Check out bradleyscountrystore.com. They grind about the best grits you will ever find. They do both white and yellow and they are delicious. And as stated before it takes 30 - 45 minutes to cook them but it is worth the time. I make them then add some grated cheese at the end. fry a couple eggs up and you have a whole meal. I usually order 6-8 bags at a time and keep them in the freezer.

Bradley's is right here in Tallahassee. Their grits take an hour or more to cook but it is worth it.

Brethren Armor's (Mike's) family mill makes the best grits I've tasted.
The Amherst Milling Company, Amherst VA.

001_zpsc4468cd4.jpg

I'll try these. I usually use Bob Red Mill. One question, 6 cups of water to 1 cup grits??? Every grit recipe that I've ever used called for 3 cups water to 1 cup grits. What is different about these Amherst grits?

War Eagle Grist Mill grits are excellent, too. Their fish fry is worth buying alone. It is incredibly good.

I'll admit to eating more quick grits than real grits over my lifetime (born/raised in TN). Instant grits are out of the question.

Grits are a great way to get butter and salt in your mouth (never got the sugar thing). A breakfast of eggs, country ham, grits, red eye gravy and biscuits is hard to beat. Save uneaten grits, stick in fridge, and fry the next morning - so good!

Bigmista made some grits at the house a whlie back and he threw a little chicken buillion in the water - never seen that before but it sure was good.

Love shrimp & grits and cheesy grits. I don't eat grits much lately 'cause I've been trying to eat a little more healthy, but a couple/few times a year I will absolutely get down on 'em and love love love it.

I won't buy grits that don't say Anson Mills Antebellum grits. I WILL EAT most any grits....but I just won't BUY anything other than Anson Mills. LOL!! Best I've ever had and a taste made in the Carolinas.

Red eye gravy mentioned by GTR is mighty good on grits.

I'll try these. I usually use Bob Red Mill. One question, 6 cups of water to 1 cup grits??? Every grit recipe that I've ever used called for 3 cups water to 1 cup grits. What is different about these Amherst grits?

Yes, 6 cup of liquid to one cup of grits. They come out great. I use about 3 cups of water and 3 cups of cream or half and half. Makes amazing shrimp and cheesy grits too.

And because of this thread I HAD to make some this morning. I Dropped in some butter and a orb of Burrata cheese at the end. Magic....and now I can't move.:heh:

BTW, as was mentioned earlier. Ain't nothing like over easy eggs mixed into grits. Of course runny eggs are awesome on most anything. LOL!

What? No low country staple mentioned yet? Shrimp and grits. No NOLA specialty, grillades and grits?:shock:
Had some mighty tasty ones while we visited there a couple weeks ago. I believe they were at Mr. B's Bistro.

Yes, 6 cup of liquid to one cup of grits. They come out great. I use about 3 cups of water and 3 cups of cream or half and half. Makes amazing shrimp and cheesy grits too.
The brand of grits that I make are 3 cups to a half cup of grits. They come out just fine as well.

Back