Hot and Sour Soup

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I first made this about two months ago, didn't take pics, had no idea how it would turn out. My wife wanted Hot and Sour soup but we weren't in the mood for going out. Actually, it turned out quite decent but I'm more of an Egg Drop soup guy when we go out for Chinese food or buffet. So I wanted to compare mine to that from a Chinese restaurant, just for the heck of it.

This week is Restaurant Week here in town, so we went out for Chinese lunch yesterday. Ordered Hot and Sour soup with the special. It was good, but my wife thought it was lacking and liked mine better. "When are you making that again?" she asked. Today's the day. :becky:

I have two different, supposedly authentic recipes printed. (They're all authentic.) I don't remember which one I actually used and realized I probably just took steps from each. The old MSU Hot and Sour soup!

Some of the ingredients. Four different types of mushrooms, pork, tofu (yes, tofu), carrot, tomato, ginger. Regular Soy, Dark Soy, corn starch, white vinegar, white pepper. Chicken stock. The heat comes from the white pepper, the sour from the vinegar -

iHGCTkw.jpg

I couldn't find some of the usually called for mushrooms in these recipes, so I went with what I could find that was exotic.

I sliced half the pork into thin strips,

gMJ5nrf.jpg

then marinated with Soy and cornstarch for about 15 minutes -

UlEk27m.jpg

Recipes call for cooking the pork in the broth, but I'm somewhat squeamish about that. I prefer searing it first, then adding the chicken stock later -

9qvUUnN.jpg

The mushrooms needed some trimming -

LEkl255.jpg

Veggies prepped and ready -

lopMw3e.jpg

h2DAXa4.jpg

iC0DVWt.jpg

l0hz8Vy.jpg

Once the pork is browned, add chicken stock to the pot and additional water. Then the carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms. Let simmer for a while, then bring to a boil. At that time add a slurry of cornstarch/water/soy to thicken it. Add the tofu very late in the process so as not to break it up too much. I wound up not having enough pork in the soup so seared up the rest of it (1 1/4 lbs total) and added it in.

At the very end, add in the white pepper and the vinegar. These are done near the end so as not to cook out the hot and the sour flavor. I adjusted the amounts to taste.

Finally, two beaten eggs are stirred in just prior to serving.

Ready for serving -

lGxt0lw.jpg

Nothing like a good bowl of Hot and Sour soup -

fAIgZN3.jpg

This turned out excellent. Definitely better than the soup we had in the restaurant yesterday but that's always due to my being able to control what's included in it. It had a sufficient amount of heat from the white pepper and a good amount of that sour tang from the vinegar.

Is it authentic? Hell no.

Do I care? Nope.

What matters in the end is "was it good?" Yep.

Thanks for following along on a recipe where I just did my own thing, but it still turned out great. If you're into Hot and Sour soup, grab a recipe, give it a try. If it's not to your liking, MSU!

Regards,
-lunchman

Last edited:
Dom, that looks amazing! I would eat that all day long.

When I go to certain Asian restaurants, it's always on my table and I've made it many times at home, so if I might a few suggestions?

The pork: Slice it into "shoestring" strips as it really adds to the texture. Stir fry or poach doesn't matter too much.

Add small shrimp, or what I call prawns.

Add black fungus: This gives it a very distinctive flavour. Well worth the effort and common at any Asian store: Rehydrate and slice up like ribbons to match the pork.

The tofu: Use a firm silken tofu. This gives an additional level of mouth feel.

Bamboo shoot strips: These are long and thin, like the pork and the black fungus and these add the crunch for the extra level of texture.

Szechuan Pepper: While white pepper is important, sprinkling this on the top when serving give the dish it's characteristic lift. Once you've had this, you'll be looking for it everywhere. Easy with it however.. numbs your tongue and your lips, but the flavor is unmistakable.

Finally, the vinegar is absolutely critical. I use this one: https://carryitlikeharry.com/shanxi-vintage-vinegar/

Recipe's I'm familiar with don't appear to have tomato? But I might try that. Why not! Sorry I just made you expand your pantry by way too much! :wink:

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Looks good Dom. Hot and sour soup is one of my favorites. To me, a great hot and sour has that certain je ne sais quoi that I can't seem to duplicate at home. Many restaurants miss it as well. Often times, the hot and sour is neither hot nor sour. While it seems all of the players are in the pot, the flavor just doesn't show up.

It's probably the type of vinegar used in the recipes. Every one I have tried calls for white vinegar, but the end product is either too much or not enough and certainly not the flavor I'm searching for. I finally gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I just have to count on the local restaurant to get my fix.

Thanks,

Robert

Dom, that looks amazing! I would eat that all day long.

When I go to certain Asian restaurants, it's always on my table and I've made it many times at home, so if I might a few suggestions?

The pork: Slice it into "shoestring" strips as it really adds to the texture. Stir fry or poach doesn't matter too much.

Add small shrimp, or what I call prawns.

Add black fungus: This gives it a very distinctive flavour. Well worth the effort and common at any Asian store: Rehydrate and slice up like ribbons to match the pork.

The tofu: Use a firm silken tofu. This gives an additional level of mouth feel.

Bamboo shoot strips: These are long and thin, like the pork and the black fungus and these add the crunch for the extra level of texture.

Szechuan Pepper: While white pepper is important, sprinkling this on the top when serving give the dish it's characteristic lift. Once you've had this, you'll be looking for it everywhere. Easy with it however.. numbs your tongue and your lips, but the flavor is unmistakable.

Finally, the vinegar is absolutely critical. I use this one: https://carryitlikeharry.com/shanxi-vintage-vinegar/

Recipe's I'm familiar with don't appear to have tomato? But I might try that. Why not! Sorry I just made you expand your pantry by way too much! :wink:

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks Bill. Both of the recipes I used included the mushrooms you've mentioned. My market sometimes has them but not yesterday. I'll have to check for Asian markets in my area. Totally forgot to buy bean sprouts.

The pork was definitely too large, my wife addressed that prior to my adding the stock. As for the tomato, one recipe had it, the other did not. I had them on hand, so why not? And one called for black vinegar.

My limitation here is it isn't a soup I ever order so I can't make a good comparison. I spent some time looking at recipes and watching videos and finally said "Enough! Just get in the kitchen and make it. " :-D

Time to find an Asian market in my area.

Nothing quite like a bowl of Hot & Sour soup, and yours looks great, Dom!
not often that I follow recipes exactly as written, with the exception of certain types - dough being one of them.

That looks like it will warm up a cold, New England night!

Yes it did! I had a bowl after clearing the driveway with the snow blower, about 6 to 8 inches of snow this morning. Grrr! And to think we were down to bare grass yesterday.

Anyway, the flavors seemed to intensify after sitting in the fridge overnight so it was even better than yesterday.

lunchman and Smokin Aussie. Either of you guys want to share the recipe you use. Like Dom, I've been looking for a good recipe and the variations are mind blowing.

Thanks guys!!

Back