Groundhog/woodchuck recipes

insaneh

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got a groundhog living under my garden.
Anyone have a good recipe for grilling them?

29zybgx.jpg

...no but seriously,Gut/Skin/Clean then I would grill the sectioned pieces with a nice sear on both sides and braise in red wine/tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)/garlic/basil......simmer until fall off the bone tender

Think of it like making a Sunday gravy (Italian gravy that is).

Visited a guy out west that I used to trade my King Salmon for his Chukar that he shot and he cooked groundhog one night haven't had it since but this is how he made it. They're a protected species in Wisconsin (which is ridiculous as they're all over the place).

I usually just chuck them into the hedgerow. let the coyotes eat them.

Can be a real nuisance here in Tennessee. Meat can be greasy so I recommend stewing till tender and then a tour in the oven

that seems odd, you don't even need a hunting license to hunt them here in maryland.

I'll be the first to tell you that a vast majority of state residents do not obey the law though.....

For some reason the DNR classifies them in the same category as Badgers (which are rare)

The big ones are "strong"...and they're all fatty this time of year, the fat is "strong", lol
The best ones are in the late spring when the young leave momma.

IF your gonna eat it, trim off the fat, braise it in beer, or wine, and maybe consider drinking the gravy, :grin:

The big ones are "strong"...and they're all fatty this time of year, the fat is "strong", lol
The best ones are in the late spring when the young leave momma.

IF your gonna eat it, trim off the fat, braise it in beer, or wine, and maybe consider drinking the gravy, :grin:

I've had strong ones. Boil in water with onions and throw the water away. Might have to boil a second time.

I've eaten it battered and fried like a rabbit years ago up in Pa. with my uncle ,it wasn't bad .But I never was to picky an eater anyway.:grin:

I've shot 5 of them this summer, tunneling under my storage shed. Never gave a
thought to cooking them. Just went in a chicken feed bag, tied up and in the garbage can.

Rodenator :becky:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMfir6r1Rc[/ame]

Back