New Mexico Chili Powder

Here in the states, there are, in fact, standards, even if they are not followed. Anything can be in a package labelled Chili Powder, as that does not have an official designation. Chile powder, must be made from ground chiles only and cannot have any other spices. It is the difference between Chili (a dish) and chile (peppers of the Capsicum genus). Hence, Gebhardt, McCormicks and many other Chili powders, versus ground up chiles.

This brings up one of my biggest pet peeves with recipes that call for chili powder. In my mind, there are two kinds of ground dried chili: "Chili Powder", which is a combination of ground mild chile and granulated garlic, cumin, salt, etc. Then there is "Ground Chili", which to me is simply a dried chili that is ground to a powder, with no other ingredients.
So when I see a recipe that calls for "New Mexico Chili Powder", it drives me nuts. Are you talking about a chili powder that includes cumin and garlic, or just plain dried New Mexico chili pepper? Same for "Ancho Chili Powder", etc.
I really wish they would clarify in their recipes what exactly they are looking for.
OK I feel better now.

Outside the USA the word "Chile" means a country.
Chili is the word for the fruit from the capsicum genus, except for Bell Peppers(we call capsicum) and paprika and sweet chilies.
We don't use the archaic "pepper" for any of these.

It's so confusing.

Mild Bills rocks! I use 5 different blends in my competition chili and it all comes from there. They have provided the blends to the last several Terlingua champions. I hope to be that champion in 2014!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

+1!
Boshizzle sent me some absolutely awesome chili powders from Mild Bills.
Changed our lives and I'm not exaggerating!!

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

My chipotle powder is almost gone, we use it that much! :Cry:

No, if it has beans it is NOT chili.

Listen to this man....he knows what he speaks of!!!

I dry Chile Piquines and run them through a spice grinder. The plants grow along almost every fenceline around here....birds sit on fences and sow them. Just get some peppers you like and do the same.

Back