Local BBQ Joints.... thumbs Down!!

MakeItHappenBBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the Hampton roads area but the local BBQ joints just aren't very good... I've been hitting them all just to test out everyone's Q (using Yelp and seeing the highly rated spots) but they all have been very short of impressive..

Really makes me wonder how they get such high ratings... I've never owned a restaurant myself so I don't mean to down talk anyone.. But the food seems uninspired..

Sorry for the random rant lol...

'Bout the only one I like (and I've only regularly had their pulled pork) in the area is Rodman's Bar-B-Que... and that's mainly for take-out back to my folks' house.

BBQ restaurants are like steakhouses, you will never find one that is as good as what you do at home. I'm from Hampton Roads, Rodman's is good but temper your expectations and enjoy someone else cooking for you. :-D

Yeah, I really don't like local BBQ joints. The ones I have visited appear to boil there meat before cooking. Not much "meat" flavor.

I've even at several really highly rated bbq places, they're rarely above okay to good. In their defense, I'm cooking to feed a small family, I think my quality would suffer a lot too if I had to cook to feed a restaurant, hold it for all day service, and train a variety of other people to run my cooker.

It's like comp BBQ. Hard to please everyone, yet their income depends on volume, so they have to aim in that direction. I always order the pulled pork, it's hard to mess that up'

Maybe it's just the Hampton roads area but the local BBQ joints just aren't very good... I've been hitting them all just to test out everyone's Q (using Yelp and seeing the highly rated spots) but they all have been very short of impressive..

Really makes me wonder how they get such high ratings... I've never owned a restaurant myself so I don't mean to down talk anyone.. But the food seems uninspired..

Sorry for the random rant lol...

BBQ is difficult to cook at such a high capacity and make it all perfectly fresh for every diner. People just don't get it isn't as easy as the home experience of straight off the pit onto your plate. I guess folks think it is for whatever reason.

I always say if you think your bbq and bbq skills are good then scale that to feed hundreds every day along with maintaining a staff, health code standards and all the other chaos that comes with running a restaurant and maintain a positive internet rating. Then you will fully appreciate what the good bbq joints do.

Most of those ratings come from people that are not folks like you find here on this forum.

The problem is that our definition of BBQ, and what the average consumer considers BBQ, are vastly different.

While we enjoy smoked meats with the ability to stand on it's own merit, the average consumer considers good BBQ to be in the sauce.

I've been to many BBQ restaurants only to be disappointed time after time and never return due to the disappointment. I've eaten at close to 70 different BBQ Restaurants, but can count the good ones on one hand with extra digits remaining. Truly good BBQ is somewhere between rare and non-existent.

Even the rubbish served by the national or chain restaurants is deplorable at best. Soaked in sauce to mask the true flavor of the meat which is mush because it's overcooked and it lacks any type of texture. Most of the BBQ we find is a form of the Kansas City style of BBQ. The thick, sweet, and sometimes spicy, tomato & molasses based sauce. This is what most people associate with the idea of "BBQ". This is because most commercial producers have pushed this cheap sauce on consumers. Sadly, consumers who have never had anything else, associate the sauce as "BBQ" because that is what the purveyors produce. This is especially true in areas where real BBQ is scarce or non existent. Seems like it would be really tough sell real BBQ to the multitude of consumers simply because of what they have been programed to expect by the retail markets.

Sadly the only BBQ that seems worthwhile is from the guy who sets up in a parking lot, selling from their smoker, and wrapping it in butcher paper. This type of vendor seems to be the only one who appears to take pride in their cooking and their end products. But these guys are far and few in between making them almost impossible to find.

The best BBQ that one will ever find is what is cooked in their own back yard. The cook takes pride in their craft and cooks to their own taste, it really hard to top that simple concept.

The problem is that our definition of BBQ, and what the average consumer considers BBQ, are vastly different.

While we enjoy smoked meats with the ability to stand on it's own merit, the average consumer considers good BBQ to be in the sauce.

I've been to many BBQ restaurants only to be disappointed time after time and never return due to the disappointment. I've eaten at close to 70 different BBQ Restaurants, but can count the good ones on one hand with extra digits remaining. Truly good BBQ is somewhere between rare and non-existent.

Even the rubbish served by the national or chain restaurants is deplorable at best. Soaked in sauce to mask the true flavor of the meat which is mush because it's overcooked and it lacks any type of texture. Most of the BBQ we find is a form of the Kansas City style of BBQ. The thick, sweet, and sometimes spicy, tomato & molasses based sauce. This is what most people associate with the idea of "BBQ". This is because most commercial producers have pushed this cheap sauce on consumers. Sadly, consumers who have never had anything else, associate the sauce as "BBQ" because that is what the purveyors produce. This is especially true in areas where real BBQ is scarce or non existent. Seems like it would be really tough sell real BBQ to the multitude of consumers simply because of what they have been programed to expect by the retail markets.

Sadly the only BBQ that seems worthwhile is from the guy who sets up in a parking lot, selling from their smoker, and wrapping it in butcher paper. This type of vendor seems to be the only one who appears to take pride in their cooking and their end products. But these guys are far and few in between making them almost impossible to find.

The best BBQ that one will ever find is what is cooked in their own back yard. The cook takes pride in their craft and cooks to their own taste, it really hard to top that simple concept.

Very well said my friend... I totally agree.

I loved going to BBQ restaurants long before I ever considered making it myself and I realized as my backyard skills improved that what I once considered to be good restaurant BBQ had become average at best. I try not to be a snob, but if I don't see a smokestack connected to the place I automatically assume it won't be very good.

I like many kinds of BBQ and am not overly picky when it comes to eating at BBQ restaurants. There is a BBQ chain restaurant in St. Louis called Bandanas. It's one of my favorite casual dining spots. The staff is super friendly, the food is delivered quickly, the prices are fair and the food is pretty tasty.

I agree with Mad Man. I see a roadside stand I just have to stop. I speed up going by Dallas's $$$ Pine Lodge. Another biggy for me is if I smell smoke I stop.

I've been to a few in the Hampton area and agree. The best I had was at County BBQ. Only been once, so not much of a set of data. The brisket wasn't cooked quite to doneness (despite being cooked for 16 hours supposedly) and as I recall the sauces and seasoning weren't really inspiring, but it was good overall as far as restaurant BBQ goes, and you could get a meat-fix. This is their Pitmaster sandwich.

IMG_7812.jpg

There's a lot more to getting good food when you go out to eat. If it's only food quality I'm interested in, I would never go out. If I were going out with some friends or for a business lunch, I wouldn't have an issue going back here.

I don't eat out at bbq places anymore ever... There are not any good places in western PA I have found. My wife dragged me to a bunch of bad local places. I had told her I would like to someday open a bbq place when we have the means to do so. Which was a mistake because she dragged me out to see what others serve. Two things I learned don't tell my wife that I want to open a restaurant some day and what passes for bbq in this area is nasty. Some of these places have been around for years and are very successful. They make crock pot bbq for sure and it is bland at best. Some is just gross. Its what most people grew up with and expect in my area. Makes me wonder if they would accept bbq from a smoker or if it would flop in my area to someday open a real bbq place.

I can't enjoy restaurant bbq anymore because of the brethren and it has made me a bbq snob. Better an enlightened snob than another oblivious person thinking if it's boiled in bbq sauce it's bbq.

I like many kinds of BBQ and am not overly picky when it comes to eating at BBQ restaurants. There is a BBQ chain restaurant in St. Louis called Bandanas. It's one of my favorite casual dining spots. The staff is super friendly, the food is delivered quickly, the prices are fair and the food is pretty tasty.

The bandanas out in fenton used to be really good. Haven't been in years though. I like their sauces too.

I have been to most of the bbq joints around the Hampton Roads area. Here is my break down of the bbq restaurants.

Best overall - County Grill in Yorktown, VA (This one is more consistent than the one in Hampton, VA) The owners of County Grill are the competition team Serial Grillers. They know how to cook the meats and also have great sides. You can't go wrong with this.

Best Sausage - Smoke From Above in VA Beach, VA. The sausage they make is very good and pair it with the mustard sauce it is down right tastey

Best Smoked Turkey - Whitners VA Beach, VA. The Smoked Turkey is great the rest not so much.

Best Jerked Chicken/Pork - Cutlass Grill in Chesapeake, VA. This is a Jamaican restaurant that also serves bbq. Their Jamaican dishes and sides are great. Their regular bbq fair is meh to decent.

Best Ribs - County Grill

Best Brisket - County Grill

Best Pulled Pork - Malbon Brothers VA Beach, VA. They have been around for a while and serve Carolina style bbq.

Honorable Mention for having decent bbq -

Smoke in Hampton/Newport News, VA. Their offerings are pretty good and I didn't feel like I wasted my money when I ate there.

Bobby's in Chesapeake, VA off Battlefield Blvd - They have decent fair. I do enjoy their brisket sandwich, but they aren't at the very top of the lists.

Now if you are looking for a bbq company that produces damn good bbq, but doesn't have a brick and mortar store. Find out where 412Q is during the week. Mike posts up at Commonwealth brewery pretty regularly. He also setups in Virginia Beach along the parking lot to his catering company's kitchen. His brisket and pork are damn good. He cooks on his Lang cooker and has probably the best bbq in the area that is sold.

I grew up with Eastern NC BBQ (Vinegar based sauce). BBQ preference depends on what you like. Different regions cook and sauce in totally different ways. Example given would be North Carolina styles of BBQ. Eastern NC cooks whole hogs with a vinegar and red pepper sauce, where west of Raleigh, NC people cook "Lexington" style BBQ. That would be shoulders and hams only with a thin tomato based sauce. Both are good but I like Eastern style better. I know it would be a couple hours drive but some of the best Eastern NC style BBQ joints that I would recommend down here is Skylight Inn BBQ (Pete/Sam Jones}, Bums BBQ both in Ayden, NC. Also Parkers BBQ in Greenville and Wilson, NC., and B's BBQ in Greenville, NC. These would be my favorites. All of these are on the North Carolina BBQ Trail.

Nc bbq

I grew up with Eastern NC BBQ (Vinegar based sauce). BBQ preference depends on what you like. Different regions cook and sauce in totally different ways. Example given would be North Carolina styles of BBQ. Eastern NC cooks whole hogs with a vinegar and red pepper sauce, where west of Raleigh, NC people cook "Lexington" style BBQ. That would be shoulders and hams only with a thin tomato based sauce. Both are good but I like Eastern style better. I know it would be a couple hours drive but some of the best Eastern NC style BBQ joints that I would recommend down here is Skylight Inn BBQ (Pete/Sam Jones}, Bums BBQ both in Ayden, NC. Also Parkers BBQ in Greenville and Wilson, NC., and B's BBQ in Greenville, NC. These would be my favorites. All of these are on the North Carolina BBQ Trail.

Wink's in Salisbury is good haven't been in years though

Back