Looking for a nice rib rub - what is your favorite?

Devil_Inside

Reaction score
I am throwing a small party at my house this weekend and I am planning on smoking some SLC ribs on my Pit Barrel Cooker. I usually make my own rubs, because the supermarkets in my area do not carry anything good, and ordering online can be expensive for 1-2 jars. Anyhow, my favorite rub recipe thus far is by Harry Soo, and it is a spin off of his SYD rub:

Ingredients

• 4 tbsp Kosher Salt
  • 2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
  • 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
  • 2 tbsp Paprika
  • 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
  • 1 tbsp Black Pepper
  • ½ TSP Cayenne Pepper
It is an excellent rub and I highly recommended, but I have been craving something more Texas-style (more pepper, less or no sugar) lately. Can you share some of your favorite rib rub recipes?

1 Part Salt to 2 Parts Pepper.......my favorite rib rub so far in my travels and I'm in SC! :shock:

I use commercial rubs mostly for ribs, but, like this

Base Layer: Dizzy Pig Salt-free Dizzy Dust
Second Layer: Simply Marvelous Pecan or Cherry
Third Layer: Landarc's Santa Maria rub

Layer three thin coats of each rub, about 10 minutes apart, 30 minutes before adding to cooker

Prior to the last hour, I dust on a layer of maple sugar and finish, if I am wrapping the maple sugar goes on when wrapping

Sin City Chefs _ Peppeureka
Sin City Chefs- Pot-Belly pork
Oakridge BBQ- Dominator

Unfortunately I cannot find any commercial rubs in my area so my only option is online order, which wont get here on time.

1 Part Salt to 2 Parts Pepper.......my favorite rib rub so far in my travels and I'm in SC! :shock:

It is amazing what flavor you can get with just salt and pepper and if I was making brisket I'd be all about it, but for ribs you need a little bit more. At the very least salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder I would think.

Mine is similar to the first recipe except for the salt and sugars. I use seasoned salt and turbinado sugar.

-Alden

If I am not using my own pork rub, I like these rubs for spare ribs:

Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
Williams Rib Tickler
Bone Sucking Sauce Seasoning and Rub
Butcher BBQ Honey Rub
Smoking Guns Sweet Heat

I use two
a combination of Slap Ya Mamma white sugar& Balck pepper with a slater of Valentina's
OR
Adams Texas BBQ Seasoning
And sometimes I just use salt & maybe pepper

Last edited:
Killer Hogs (usually alone)

Seasoned salt (light base)
Oakridge Comp. Pork & Beef
Oakridge Dominator
Oakridge HDD (for added kick if desired)

Or some combination of the above.

Ive been doing more S&P on my ribs with sauce at the end lately. 2:1 coarse pepper to kosher salt.

I guess it's because I'm in Texas but every single grocery store has rubs

The McCormick rubs ain't Bad.

I've been using OakRidge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub

Dominator_Rib_Rub.jpg

While I appreciate all the suggestions for commercial rubs, I was really hoping for some homemade recipes. I like to make my own because it is cheaper, but most importantly, I do not add any salt to any of my rubs. Don't get me wrong, salt is extremely important, but I like to go heavy on the rub (seasoning) and add just the right amount of salt.

While I appreciate all the suggestions for commercial rubs, I was really hoping for some homemade recipes. I like to make my own because it is cheaper, but most importantly, I do not add any salt to any of my rubs. Don't get me wrong, salt is extremely important, but I like to go heavy on the rub (seasoning) and add just the right amount of salt.

A lot of folks closely guard their favorite homemade rubs, so don't be offended at the lack of responses. Me? I don't compete, but I try to cook competition BBQ. If you are familiar with Joe Pearce of Squeal Like a Pig BBQ, you know he is a very good cook. His pork rub is the best I have ever made. Here is his recipe minus the jalapeno powder:

Pork Rub:
  • ½ cup of white sugar
  • ½ cup of packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup kosher salt
  • ½ cup coarse ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup medium chili powder
  • ¼ cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ tablespoon dry mustard
  • ½ tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ tablespoon onion powder
  • ½ tablespoon jalapeno powder
Mix well and store in an air tight container.

A lot of folks closely guard their favorite homemade rubs, so don't be offended at the lack of responses. Me? I don't compete, but I try to cook competition BBQ. If you are familiar with Joe Pearce of Squeal Like a Pig BBQ, you know he is a very good cook. His pork rub is the best I have ever made. Here is his recipe minus the jalapeno powder:

Pork Rub:
  • ½ cup of white sugar
  • ½ cup of packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup kosher salt
  • ½ cup coarse ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup medium chili powder
  • ¼ cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ tablespoon dry mustard
  • ½ tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ tablespoon onion powder
  • ½ tablespoon jalapeno powder
Mix well and store in an air tight container.

Now that sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try it.

PatioDaddio's All Purpose Rub

1 cup Sea salt, medium fine (no table salt, please)
1/2 cup Unrefined evaporated cane sugar (no table sugar, please)
1/2 cup Brown sugar, golden/light
2 Tbs Sweet Hungarian paprika
2 Tbs Chili powder, medium heat (I use New Mexico)
2 Tbs Granulated onion (not onion "powder")
2 Tbs Dry mustard, Colemans
1 Tbs Granulated garlic (not garlic "powder")
2 tsp Dry thyme
2 tsp Dry oregano
2 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
2 tsp Celery salt
2 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground coriander
1 tsp Ground cayenne (optional, but recommended)

Combine all of the rub ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with a
whisk or stand mixer.

Back