If you could only have one??

SanJoseDale

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I recently retired and we bought an RV. I'm already trying to figure out what I can BBQ while on the road and camping. I need to keep it fairly small and want something that will do well for all around cooking.

I'm thinking a table top pellet cooker, both Treager and Green Mountain make one that look good. I've never used a pellet, I use charcoal at home, but I'm sure it won't sear very well (if at all), and steaks and burgers are a regular part of our diet, LOL

Worst case, I could carry an additional small propane grill for searing, but I sure would like to have something all in one.

Any other ideas?

Weber kettle

WSM 14.5"

I like my 14.5" WSM and it's what I like to compete with too.

It can do almost anything.

The green Mountain DC is a very versatile little smoker grill. One common issue seems to be temp variance from side to side when smoking, but you can work around that. It's no charcoal grill when it comes to searing, but it's no joke either. It's got a sliding heat diffuser for open flame cooking. Pellets are so easy it's stupid, and although I don't do the RV thing it definitely seems like it would be a perfect fit. I use my pellet pits all the time for convenience, and they really do put out some fantastic food if you aren't looking for heavy smoke flavor. I actually prefer them for things like ribs, roasts, some chicken applications, and any sort of baking. Big stuff like butts and briskets I prefer non pellet, but they really can do it all. Pretty much doubles as oven too so that's kind of an added bonus if you are short on oven space.

I can see where a pellet grill and pellets would make for a nice, easy and convenient cooler for travel. You can always buy a Searzall for a propane torch if you need that char.

Do you want to go the pellet route for ease of long cooks? Transport? I see you said that you use charcoal at home. Why not just use a Weber kettle on the road? I keep one in my 5th wheel. You can make a ring and cook for hours with ease. Just curious.

Drum w a diffuser. Gateway sells a 55 g and a 30 g size if you want to pony up the $$$ for one already built. Holds rock solid temps for smoking. Doesn't need electronic aids either. Remove the diffuser and you can grill directly over the coals. Second option would be a akorn.

Do you want to go the pellet route for ease of long cooks? Transport? I see you said that you use charcoal at home. Why not just use a Weber kettle on the road? I keep one in my 5th wheel. You can make a ring and cook for hours with ease. Just curious.

I to have a WSM that I use for competition but mostly a BGE at home. Never used the kettle for smoking, but I know it can be done. Is a bit big for the RV, I would have to remove legs for transport, but perhaps for only one all rounder, that may be the best choice.

What do you mean by make a ring?

Also thinking about fuel, carrying pellets take up a lot less space than bags of charcoal, also I will always have LP on the RV.....

Yep, GMG Davy Crockett is perfect for just that. I keep mine in the travel trailer, it can run off a battery, plugin or the truck. Perfect setup for ease of use.

I to have a WSM that I use for competition but mostly a BGE at home. Never used the kettle for smoking, but I know it can be done. Is a bit big for the RV, I would have to remove legs for transport, but perhaps for only one all rounder, that may be the best choice.

What do you mean by make a ring?

Also thinking about fuel, carrying pellets take up a lot less space than bags of charcoal, also I will always have LP on the RV.....
When I put my kettle together the legs went in so tight I can't imagine taking it apart and putting it back together every time I setup.

I carry my charcoal in plastic containers (with tight fitting lids) that hold just the right amount to fill my Weber chimney. We plan how many meals we're going to grill and that's how many container I carry when we pull the trailer.

How many people is the cook for? Seems like it's more for grilling vs low and slow. Plus, you like searing. So, how about BGE mini max? It's portable, using charcoal, easy clean up, doesnt take much space, can use it for grilling or low and slow and pretty much anything (very versatile).

I am thinking of a weber smokey joe to go with my trailer. I have taken my regular sized weber in the back of the truck but I am thinking of something smaller that I can store in the trailer. It's only the two of us that I would be cooking for and I hold off on using a smoker until I get back home.

-Alden

Take a look at the Weber "Go-Anywhere: charcoal. The size and shape make it a natural for camping. It has incredible air control and the charcoal taste your used to.

It's limited by size by it's more than enough for 2.

How many people is the cook for? Seems like it's more for grilling vs low and slow. Plus, you like searing. So, how about BGE mini max? It's portable, using charcoal, easy clean up, doesnt take much space, can use it for grilling or low and slow and pretty much anything (very versatile).

I had not seen the BGE Mini max until now, looks great! But 90 Lbs!

Will be just my wife and I, in most cases I know we will be doing a lot of grilling, but can't imagine sitting in a campground without smelling up the place with some BBQ all day, particularly here in CA where campfires are many times not even allowed.

Back