Sous Vide Devices?

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Which Sous Vide Devices are you using and why?

I've been looking at the Anova and was wondering if there is any major difference between the Anova One at $199 or the Anova Precision Cooker at $179. The Anova One specs show that it is more powerful and moves more water, but is that necessary? I really don't care about the WIFI connectivity of the Precision Cooker but my wife does.

We cook for my family of 7 and its usually substantial quantities. I certainly don't want to get an undersized device and don't need the Pro model.

I want to get one of these toys so your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

I have the Anova One for the past year or so and it is great for what I need it to do. Moving sufficient water to keep a temp within .01 of the set point. I have heard but have no first hand knowledge that the new one is somewhat under powered. I really don't see the need for the wi fi stuff, but it is a cool toy I guess.

The anova one is quite enough that it does not bother me, but I can hear it working. We have an open kitchen and the tv area is in the same room. I can hear it on, but that is it for me. The display does turn off but a quick tap on the screen brings it back. Maybe that is where the wi fi and app comes in handy if you want to check the temps. I will take a stronger motor over cool bells.

TailGateJoe posted about his and he has the anova. I'm sure he will chime in with some valuable advice.

Model_10_nickel_350-300x209.jpg

I have the Sansaire.. Either it or the Anova will work for u an ur family ... I did a 12 lb brisket with mine no problem ..Used a small ice chest to cook it in for 72 hrs ... Then smoked for a lil over 3 hours ... Here is a pic of the point ...best brisket I've ever made.. Fork tender an juices running everywhere...

2AE03BB7-1B10-40F2-A58D-1793A7696CA7_zpsnyzkum03.jpg

More water movement does matter, as does using an insulated container. The more the water moves, the easier and more consistent the cook will be. The Wi-fi is a whole lot less important, as it really only serves as a check point (admittedly, 7 kids means any time savings is good) for whether the unit is working. Which you can also check by peeking in on it.

Water ovens work by using a highly controlled water temperature that circulates around the food, both of those elements are important to proper function, I would opt for more flow all the time. I've been playing around with a Polyscience Professional, but, it wasn't my money that bought it. Now that thing circulates some water.

The anova is outstanding. I have been using it for a couple months and best steaks I have ever cooked. I love BBQ, but I love cooking over all and this in my arsenal has stepped up my end product DRASTICALLY!!! Search for coupon codes online, have been up to $50 off recently.

I think the Anova Precision has a more adjustable mounting bracket, up and down, which increases your options for containers to use.
I just ordered the Anova one a couple of days ago; decided the more powerful motor was best option, and the Smart Phone was not important to me.

More water movement does matter, as does using an insulated container. The more the water moves, the easier and more consistent the cook will be. The Wi-fi is a whole lot less important, as it really only serves as a check point (admittedly, 7 kids means any time savings is good) for whether the unit is working. Which you can also check by peeking in on it.

Water ovens work by using a highly controlled water temperature that circulates around the food, both of those elements are important to proper function, I would opt for more flow all the time. I've been playing around with a Polyscience Professional, but, it wasn't my money that bought it. Now that thing circulates some water.
A question: Speaking of highly controlled temps; The Anova site says the water is controlled within one-tenth of a degree.
However they [and everybody else, it seems] writes it as 0.01. Now to me that is one one-hundredth of a degree. Am I missing something?

I put my glasses on.... "Sous Vide" The Anova sounds like a really hot Russian hooker or stripper.... so.... the choice is clear.

Now that's the only sous vide machine you should ever own!! But good luck on your quest BBQ Mafia.

Last edited:
Iam cheap so I would get this
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=471
and a bucket heater around $40.. Plug it in the controller,start with hot water in a cooler and your good. Add a aquarium air pump if your worried about water circulation
If your confident in wiring and electricity then their even cheaper ways.I built a 5000W electric brewery in my basement all from info online.

A couple years back, I decided I wanted to play with this new "Sous Vide" technique. I didn't want to buy a big kit as at the time they were still fairly new for "residential" use and quite expensive, close to $1K. I read a lot of DIY web pages and thought I could do all of it but the controller itself. I ended up buying the following PID controller:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=44

For a heat source, I opted for a single electric burner like the following:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24183268?...45864472&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78311197832&veh=sem

For a "tank", I used a large tamale steamer pot. To "circulate" the water, I bought a fish tank aerator (Pro Tip: I used a couple heavy duty paper clips on the tubing to weigh it down.) :

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whisper-Air-Pump-10-30-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10291813

Oh, and I bought a FoodSaver sealer for the bagging.

All total, I spent less than $200 and played with this set up several times and it worked well. Still have a the pieces parts in a bag in the pantry. Haven't "played" with it in over a year.

just got the anova , haven't cooked with it yet

wondering what a proven source( web page )for recipes is? i have modernist cuisine but was hoping you guys knew of others.

thanks guys

I have the Sansaire.. Either it or the Anova will work for u an ur family ... I did a 12 lb brisket with mine no problem ..Used a small ice chest to cook it in for 72 hrs ... Then smoked for a lil over 3 hours ... Here is a pic of the point ...best brisket I've ever made.. Fork tender an juices running everywhere...

2AE03BB7-1B10-40F2-A58D-1793A7696CA7_zpsnyzkum03.jpg

What temp did you keep it at for 72 hrs?

Now that's the only sous vide machine you should ever own!! But good luck on your quest BBQ Mafia.

The instructions on the one I got for Christmas had a safety note saying it was not to be used to heat a hot tub.

Back