Pulled lamb shoulder

That really looks awesome!! Makes a nice change up from the usual table fare...thanks for posting...

Thanks - left over lamb makes the absolute best sandwiches. Get a fresh, crunchy French roll (rather than a bun) cut into 6" lengths, open it up, put some lamb along it, put some thin-sliced tasty cheese on it and grill until the cheese has melted (the reheating of the lamb liquefies the fat/juices in the lamb and they run into the bread - oh my). Then add onion chutney or similar and some green stuff with a dressing... pretty damn good. We had these yesterday to start in on the leftovers.

If you take two slices of regular white bread, butter them, add the lamb (sliced) and top with tomato sauce/ketchup - you will have the school lunch that many Australian children had Monday's most of their school lives.

That cut looks exactly like what i get to work with. I make pulled lamb with just a simple dry-rub and NC style vinegar baste.

I have used a cherry-hickory-apple mixture and didn't find any off taste to the lamb. That said, it would probably be close with just the lump.

Oh--if you cook a pork shoulder above 2-3 lamb shoulders it goes a long way to help keep the lamb well-basted and moist.

I don't know if these are the 'best', but they are two which I visit:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
http://www.aussiepitmasters.com.au/

The smoking/BBQ scene is exploding in Australia it seems. You have to love the charcoal options and prices you blokes have (compared to us in NZ).
I always liked this category at the Aussie BBQ Forum
"Game
Use for Recipes only - Rabbit, Croc, Emu, Wombat, Brown Snakes, Kangaroos etc.
Also include recipes for Galahs, Pigeons and Roadkill"

I'm going to get involved with a smoked lamb shoulder for Australia Day!

Cheers guys, I never would have even thought about trying it!

My lord that's over the top! Love the injection. I've got to hook up with a local farmer. I've never seen shoulder here about but really need to hunt that down! You guys know how to live down there.

That cut looks exactly like what i get to work with. I make pulled lamb with just a simple dry-rub and NC style vinegar baste.

I have used a cherry-hickory-apple mixture and didn't find any off taste to the lamb. That said, it would probably be close with just the lump.

It isn't that the smoke gives it an off taste, I just find it doesn't need much at all, else the food's flavour gets overpowered too easily. Something like what can happen with chicken if over-smoked.

My local favourite market, Superking, has "Premium Australian Lamb Shoulder, steak or roast" on offer this week at $3.49/lb USD.

This cut has a intimidating bone structure, which I have not cooked enough yet to have become comfortable with. After the last one I smoked, I thought maybe I should try smoking a Costco Boneless Lamb Leg (also Australian), ~$5/lb. Yield might be equivalent after carving.

Do any "other hemisphere" Brothers have experience with both cuts, and wish to opine about their relative merits? Thanks, Dave.

My local favourite market, Superking, has "Premium Australian Lamb Shoulder, steak or roast" on offer this week at $3.49/lb USD.

This cut has a intimidating bone structure, which I have not cooked enough yet to have become comfortable with. After the last one I smoked, I thought maybe I should try smoking a Costco Boneless Lamb Leg (also Australian), ~$5/lb. Yield might be equivalent after carving.

Do any "other hemisphere" Brothers have experience with both cuts, and wish to opine about their relative merits? Thanks, Dave.

Dave

These are bargain prices, jeez I wish we could get them at those prices.

With the shoulder - don't worry about the bone structure - the combination of the neck, shoulder joint and first few ribs makes it look complex - but if you smoke for pulled lamb, any concern about that goes away as you just strip it off the bones at the end. If you were cooking to 140 for sliced meat then I can see the challenge - 'where is the meat in all that bone?'.

With the boneless leg - I would recommend you smoke this until about 100-110F and then reverse sear (make sure grill is hot) both sides for a few minutes until 140-ish.

This way, they are two very different cooks, the only similarity is that they are lamb.

Thanks Ralph, it seems to be the same basic treatment as pork cuts. I was not "blown away" by the shoulder, my wife even less. I will try it again.

I do prefer sirloin and rib chops rare, sounds as if you are advocating the cooking of the leg pretty rare as well. I cook beef tri-tip the same way, back when I used to be able to afford them. ALWAYS looking for affordable cuts that I'm not familiar with. Dave

Back