New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

Over Under Owners are an Elite Bunch, Welcome to the club :becky: If I where you that Chargriller sittin in the background would be my grillin machine. I do all my grillin on a Performer. While we where in Laredo Alejandro recommended wiping down the exterior while it's warm with WD40 to keep the paint in top shape works fer me.

Over Under Owners are an Elite Bunch.

We sure are! :clap2:

I have found that if I leave both exhausts wide open, heat escapes too quickly. I have better luck maintaining heat if I only open one or both at half. I drilled an extra 12 holes in my fire grate. Its all I could do at the moment.

This is my first stick burner, and what I have learned is that the condition of your wood makes all the difference. Too dry and it burns up fast, too green and it takes for ever to catch, but when it does it burns a long time. It doesn't take much to keep it running, so don't build too big a fire.

Thanks all for the replies!

grilling would be done in firebox. the top cooking grate is designed to go over the fire for grilling. Did it come with an upper grate that can be moved to firebox or in firebox than can be moved to cook chamber?
Yes, it did. Since there's only about 6" from the fire grate to the food grate in the firebox, it seems it'd be difficult to keep food from charring. I suppose I could use the fire grate from my old Chargriller to increase the distance.

Over Under Owners are an Elite Bunch, Welcome to the club :becky: If I where you that Chargriller sittin in the background would be my grillin machine.
Proud to be here! I agree, and that would be my preference. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't want two BBQ machines in the backyard...

Put her shoe collection on craigslist and fill a garbage sack with all the cosmetics lotions & potions. Fair is Fair:biggrin1:

I love my Over/Under for smoking, but kept my Weber Kettle for grilling. I'm very lucky because my wife loves her steaks grilled and her brisket smoked. Now I just need a bigger patio. :shocked:

Thanks all for the replies!

Proud to be here! I agree, and that would be my preference. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't want two BBQ machines in the backyard...

That don't play at my house. :hand: Get rid of the Chargriller and buy a Weber Kettle. Then you have only 1 Smoker and 1 Grill. :thumb:

Nah, split the firebox off patch the footballs build a stand for the FB and have 2 grills.:thumb:

That don't play at my house. :hand: Get rid of the Chargriller and buy a Weber Kettle. Then you have only 1 Smoker and 1 Grill. :thumb:
Fortunately it's not a huge issue because I don't grill that often, and is usually just for two (so I could get something small). For a crowd, I fire up the smoker (O/U - yay!). This Memorial Day I'm planning to cook several racks of Plate Beef Ribs - if I can find a butcher who carries them. Central Market will sell me one rack if I beg, and the butchers I've visited only carry Chuck Ribs. I even had one insist his Chuck Ribs were Plate Ribs. :tsk:

Albertsons cuts meat. Ask at the meat counter for Beef Short Ribs uncut - whole plate.
HEB Plus does too.

Ask at the meat counter for Beef Short Ribs uncut - whole plate.

Thanks Smitty! I was wondering why I couldn't find any dino bones around here. Turns out I was asking for the wrong thing.

Right now, Backdraft (my O/U) is in the garage getting a fresh coat of paint. The Ospho is taking a long time to dry, or maybe I used too much. I'll put it out in the sun if it ever returns to Austin. I'm going to paint the whole thing black, with silver smokestacks, only because they don't have high temperature chrome paint

I love the Smokehouse.! Just like these too. Smokehouse could do 6 Briskets - 2 per grate.
O/U would probally fit 4-5 on main grate with 1-2 on top grate so about the same.

Been reading this thread for about a week and joined a few days ago. Thanks for all the advise on the Old Country O/U...I bought it about a week ago, but because of work couldn't get to cook on it until yesterday. It's an interesting smoker, I will have lots of fun learning it in my journey. Glad there are folks on here that I can talk to specifically about the O/U.

Pulled the trigger on the OC O/U from Academy this morning. The closest Academy Sports is in Terre Haute, IN which is a 4-5 hour drive which is a hell of a lot closer than the 12 hour drive to Little Rock where I saw one this past Monday. Better yet they will ship it for $80 so I don't have to worry about finding a vehicle big enough to handle it!:biggrin: One concern I do have is that the picture on the web page showed the grate for the fire box as a two piece grate as opposed to a one piece grate that could be used in the smoking chamber for a second grate.

http://www.academy.com/shop/Product_10151_10051_1277366_-1_

I also purchased the cover for $29.95. Hopefully the cover will be better than a tarp, if not, I'll go the tarp route after it falls apart!

That's an old picture the grates are 1 piece Welcome to the Club your gonna love it.

Is the O/U or Pecos more efficient on fuel? I keep going back and forth between the two.

Back