New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

You like that more than the Wrangler, right? Since it has thicker walls?

Wrangler is thicker (11 gauge with 3/16" Doors.) but smaller-- smaller than I like. Pecos is 14 gauge with 11 gauge doors but I like the size of it.
Over n Under is same as Pecos - 14 gauge with 11 gauge doors and it has more room than Pecos.

Don't let yourself fall into the trap of pit envy- it can be an expensive trip. That UDS can turn an ordinary guy into a cooking fool. Don't get hung up on the Holy Smoke Ring. The UDS is a fine cooker - buying something else won't necessarily step up your game.

good luck though.
I do understand that... I do need more room to cook aswell. That is another reason why i need a smoker. I would need atleast a total of 3 uds smokers to accomidate my needs from time to time. By time i buy 2 more SS barrells, 2 used weber grills for the lid and grates and 2 extra grates from HD, ball valves , etc i might aswell invest in a smoker is my thinking...

Ive had meat from some of the "cheaper"($250 not 3k) off set smokers as well and really like the flavor and ring.. Although i could care less about the ring. The stick burner gives a better flavor in my opion

No but I preheat my splits in there

IMG_20160113_132238.jpg

IMG_20160113_133407.jpg

IMG_20160113_141042.jpg

IMG_20160113_153527_1.jpg

I went to Academy on Friday, and found that the O/U has a little brother, called the Flowmaster Smoker. It didn't have a price tag on it, so I don't know how much they're asking.

I also took some photos of the new door design (I like it) and the weld quality seems to have improved on the sample that I saw over the one I bought 3 years ago.

EDIT - It seems that I can't or don't know how to embed photos.
The album is public and can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/L8vwP

Not trying to break any rules, just my ignorance showing again. :doh:

EDIT #2 - Photos are now set as attachments. I'm learning, slowly.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Weld 03.jpg
    Weld 03.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 295
  • Weld 01.jpg
    Weld 01.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Door 03.jpg
    Door 03.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Door 02.jpg
    Door 02.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Door 01.jpg
    Door 01.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
i went to academy on friday, and found that the o/u has a little brother, called the flowmaster smoker. It didn't have a price tag on it, so i don't know how much they're asking.

I also took some photos of the new door design (i like it) and the weld quality seems to have improved on the sample that i saw over the one i bought 3 years ago.

lummxap

yjqtrzx

it seems that i can't or don't know how to embed photos.
The album is public and can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/l8vwp

not trying to break any rules, just my ignorance showing again. :doh:

$499

I went to Academy on Friday, and found that the O/U has a little brother, called the Flowmaster Smoker. It didn't have a price tag on it, so I don't know how much they're asking.

I also took some photos of the new door design (I like it) and the weld quality seems to have improved on the sample that I saw over the one I bought 3 years ago.

LumMXaP

YjqtRzx

It seems that I can't or don't know how to embed photos.
The album is public and can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/L8vwP

Not trying to break any rules, just my ignorance showing again. :doh:

Didnt happen to get the measurments of the CC did you ? Thanks !!

Custom Over Under

I have a few qstns for u guys , would love some feed back

I got a quote on having the over under smoker built....
Built exactly the same design with tje exception to a square top not hex.. Completely built out of 1/4" , 40" depth and heighth... $1,900
I am scheduled to make a deposit on Wed .. He is about 1 hr drive from me..

For 2k i know i can get a shirley but that would be 7+ months out plus shipping ora 40hr round trip drive to pick up..

Fair price ?
Any comments suggestion on build would be appreciated.

I would have started a new post but i dont know how to lol..

Again any positive ,comments, suggest or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Sounds like a fair price to me if quality work. I've priced/ got quotes for several pit builds in 3/16" and always comes in at $1200-$1600.

There is a blue tab says new thread at top left of section below the banners - you have to be in Q talk general not in a thread.

Has anyone thought of or tried using a water pan on the cooking chamber? Or is it not at all necessary?

[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

I just picked up one of these bad boys at the Mesquite, Tx Academy to replace my old cheapo offset. I was considering the Pecos, but saw the O/U and started reading the reviews - and was sold! Had it delivered (for $75) because a) I don't currently have a pickup, and b) even if I did, I wouldn't be able to get it out of the bed in one piece... [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] Some reviewers mentioned problems with welds, so I looked it over carefully and everything looked good, including the doors sitting flush against the smoker. Once heated, the only minor issue is that the firebox door pinches a little bit when you open it fully.

I scavenged two cheapo thermometers from my old offset, and mounted a 3" Tel-Tru about 1.5" above the main grate. Don't really trust the cheapo thermometers, and they're really at the right level for the upper grate.

Got it seasoned nicely and had a successful first run with a rack of Beef Ribs and a whole chicken. Kept a log and found that I need to add a 1/2 log (I used oak) every half hour or so to keep the temp at 230F with nice pale blue smoke. So far so good!

I do have a couple of questions for the experts here:

1) For grilling, how do you use the O/U? Fire and meat in the firebox, in the cooking chamber, or like when you smoke but with the fire cranked up? I can see pros and cons to all the options.

2) Do you treat the outside with anything to protect the paint and prevent rust?

Thanks, dave

[/FONT]

Attachments

• OU_1.JPG
    OU_1.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 288
  • OU_3.JPG
    OU_3.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 284
[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

I just picked up one of these bad boys at the Mesquite, Tx Academy to replace my old cheapo offset. I was considering the Pecos, but saw the O/U and started reading the reviews - and was sold! Had it delivered (for $75) because a) I don't currently have a pickup, and b) even if I did, I wouldn't be able to get it out of the bed in one piece... [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] Some reviewers mentioned problems with welds, so I looked it over carefully and everything looked good, including the doors sitting flush against the smoker. Once heated, the only minor issue is that the firebox door pinches a little bit when you open it fully.

I scavenged two cheapo thermometers from my old offset, and mounted a 3" Tel-Tru about 1.5" above the main grate. Don't really trust the cheapo thermometers, and they're really at the right level for the upper grate.

Got it seasoned nicely and had a successful first run with a rack of Beef Ribs and a whole chicken. Kept a log and found that I need to add a 1/2 log (I used oak) every half hour or so to keep the temp at 230F with nice pale blue smoke. So far so good!

I do have a couple of questions for the experts here:

1) For grilling, how do you use the O/U? Fire and meat in the firebox, in the cooking chamber, or like when you smoke but with the fire cranked up? I can see pros and cons to all the options.

2) Do you treat the outside with anything to protect the paint and prevent rust?

Thanks, dave

[/FONT]

You will just have to repaint periodically. Once it gets a little Rusty, wire brush it, put some rust conveter on it (outisde only) then repaint. keep the inside oiled with cooking oil. You will need to upgrade or modify the fire grate. it needs braced and more slots cut in it or braced and cut out the center and put expanded metal on it.

grilling would be done in firebox. the top cooking grate is designed to go over the fire for grilling. Did it come with an upper grate that can be moved to firebox or in firebox than can be moved to cook chamber? it should have.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Skyco-Ospho-Surface-Prep-Bottle/dp/B000C02CDG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460660858&sr=8-3&keywords=rust+converter+ospho"]Amazon.com: Skyco Ospho Surface Prep Bottle 1 Qt: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31pYwvpI4zL.@@AMEPARAM@@31pYwvpI4zL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81773-Rust-Treatment-oz/dp/B000HBNX38/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460660895&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=rust+convetor"]Amazon.com: Permatex 81773 Rust Treatment , 16 oz.: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DWD34ZGXL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DWD34ZGXL[/ame]

Back