Old Country BBQ Pits sold outside Academy

Matto6

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I was under the impression that Old Country (Bravos, etc) was available only at Academy. But the Bravos is currently not available for shipping from Academy so I was looking around. I found two that appear to be available. Does anyone have experience with these places?

1. http://bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm

Scroll to the bottom. It sure looks like a Bravos but with smaller wheels.

The Old Country BBQ Pits. These classic style bbq pits are built with 1/4" thick steel plate. They have an all welded construction. They have an excellent heat retention capacity. They have a big firebox baffle and the smoke stack is placed in the center of the grill section this helps to reduce the cold and hot spots in the grill section. They come with framed slide out grills, stainless steel spring handles, folding table, adjustable air intake and adjustable smoke stack. The fire box has a fire grate designed to promote air flow and sliding cooking grate.

2-OC20X48-closed.jpg

2. And there's also jandjbagging.com https://www.jandjbagging.com/OLD-COUNTRY-OFFSET-SMOKER-20x60-1-4-THICK-PLATE

OLD COUNTRY OFFSET SMOKER - 20X60 - 1/4" THICK PLATE
These classic style bbq pits are built with 1/4" thick steel plate. They have an all welded construction. They have an excellent heat retention capacity. They have a big firebox baffle and the smoke stack is placed in the center of the grill section this helps to reduce the cold and hot spots in the grill section. They come with framed slide out grills, stainless steel spring handles, folding table, adjustable air intake and adjustable smoke stack. The fire box has a fire grate designed to promote air flow and sliding cooking grate.

Both Buccees & Academy sell them for sure. Plenty of people have had experience with them. Check out some youtube videos if you're interested.

Website OP posted Is from before Old Country picked up the Academy account - between Academy and Buccees he doesn’t have time for anything else. He really should take that website down

Last edited:
Website OP posted Is from before Old Country picked up the Academy account - between Academy and Buccees he doesn’t have time for anything else. He really should take that website down

Ahhhhh.

No answer all day. I emailed tonight. We'll see if they reply.

Does Buccees ship?

I wonder how much they sell at Buc-ees. Mind you, I freaking love Buc-ees. It's just that I only go there on big drives. I like to pick up beef jerky and maybe some nuggets. For me, a heavy smoker is more of a planned thing vs. stopping for gas and a pee coming back from vacation :)

That said, yes, when I do stop at Buc-ees, I always stop to admire the smokers...

It's called Brazos, not Bravos, that might help
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-all-american-brazos-smoker

Jeremy Yoder talks about the Brazos
https://youtu.be/0zTuW_gKfYE

I watched Jeremy Yoder talk about his Franklin pit, and he compared it with the Brazos. tl;dr - he loves the Franklin as a great pit, but seems to think that, for most folks, it's probably not 4x better than the Brazos despite being 4x the cost.

I think the Brazos would be a fine choice for someone looking for an offset. I have a Wrangler, FWIW.

Thanks all.

Yeah I've seen lots on the Brazos (thanks for the spelling correction.. geez)

I got a reply from Old Country direct sales and they said that the "Old Country 20x60" is identical to the Brazos. Same smoker.

However, due to demand they are currently not selling it direct until the fulfill their backlog to their retail stores. They offer to put you on a waiting list to be notified when it's back in stock.

Thanks all.

Yeah I've seen lots on the Brazos (thanks for the spelling correction.. geez)

I got a reply from Old Country direct sales and they said that the "Old Country 20x60" is identical to the Brazos. Same smoker.

However, due to demand they are currently not selling it direct until the fulfill their backlog to their retail stores. They offer to put you on a waiting list to be notified when it's back in stock.

Sounds like you’d be better off ordering from Academy. Out of stock now for truck delivery but I wouldn’t be so sure about the factory direct waitlist, I’d think the retail backlog is perpetual!

Sounds like you’d be better off ordering from Academy. Out of stock now for truck delivery but I wouldn’t be so sure about the factory direct waitlist, I’d think the retail backlog is perpetual!

Yep. Might as well just wait for them to come back in stock at Academy. That will happen first anyway.

I actually had my Wrangler shipped to NJ when I lived there. That was also a big differentiator - they shipped at a flat rate (was it $80?).

I remember being scared when they took it off the truck. Two guys without a proper lift. That said, made it down fine, and I wheeled to my back yard.

Of course, few years later, I moved to Austin and had it shipped along with me. Whoops!

Academy flat rate shipping had me tempted for awhile on a Brazos since I’m also in NY but then I saw the gravity fed thread and decided taking the risk on workmanship and shipping damage plus the mods I wanted to make wasn’t worth it to me (and I really wanted off-road tires). Can’t beat that shipping price though, every other offset is like $700 to NY.

Back