New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

How often are you adding to this unit to keep temps pretty constant? This size / configuration is great, but just wondering if a heavier using would mean less fire tending.

This unit is pretty efficient looking

Bludawg has the most experience on one but he ain't been on much lately. I'd think 50 minutes to 1 hour.

I just made my first few racks of ribs on the O/U, and it was a champ. It was my first time using a stick burner (I have a pellet pooper and a UDS), and it was pretty straightforward. Light a chimney full of charcoal, put into the firebox, leave everything open and put two splits on, and then close it all up when you get a good fire and thin blue. Leave the 3 back vents open, and I was using 1-2 smaller splits every 45 minutes at 275 degrees. Towards the end when the coal base got built up, I was able to run at 250 on one split every hour or so. It was a windy day as well (30+ MPH winds). So far, I love the unit.
I didnt notice any hot spots, and the left/right temps were spot on.

Adjustable damper

Just purchased an O/U and half way through a 3 hour seasoning as I type this. Holding nicely at 350. The adjustable damper I have propped open with a chunk of wood for a 1 inch clearance. What is the pourpose of this as it's really not adjustable and will the smoker work better if left in the closed position. Would be nice if Old Country got off there ass and publish some best practice operating info on their product.

Purpose is to close cook chamber off (mostly) when just grilling in firebox and if one want to snuff a fire ( not sure it it'd snuff a fire or not). And for access to clean that area. I had thought they made it with 3 catches - closed, half and full. ? For smoking should be best in full open. Half -for smoking at low temps......

Last edited:
Catches would have been nice. As it is, the only way is to prop it open is from inside the cook chamber.

It's been a long time, but I'm back! (Please share your wisdom!)

Warning, I typed a book :-D ->

Several years back I was on this site daily. I got into BBQing because my neighbor gave me a Brinkman Smoke 'n Grill. (big ol' Haus :heh:) I caught the fever. I was on a very tight budget at the time. After a few months of browsing forums on here, I decided to build a UDS. Since then I've been cooking on that thing all of the time. I've made quite the name for myself among my friends to the point where I can't host a party unless there is BBQ... I've now reached the point where I would like to be able to cook more at one time. I have also reached the limit of my grill. I've always cooked with a 22" weber kettle. I'm to the point where every cook I'm putting 3-4 rounds of food on. Truth be told, when I found the Over and Under, I had set out to find a bigger "grill" not smoker. But, I decided if I could kill two birds with one stone (upgrade both), then why not?? So, I've read all 25 pages of this thread and the other threads you guys have linked. I will say I was very surprised to hear the drastic difference in level of effort of a stick burner vs a UDS, but I understand its a whole different beast. I run a thermostat/fan on my UDS which pretty much makes it set and forget. I am curious if anyone has tried a fan thermostat (like the IQ120 or the BBQ Guru) on a rig like this. I'm sure it wouldn't be set and forget but was curious if it could turn a stick an hour into 2-3 sticks every 3 hours or so???

I read Bludawg's threads on his mods and then his first brisket cook. I was shocked to see how quick he cooked that brisket. I guess I'm used to going low and slow for everything except poultry. But, if I had to add fuel every hour, I'd do all I could to speed that up. My question is - do you find that the food tastes as good or better cooked fast on a stick burner than low and slow on a UDS running lump and chunks? I'm used to a brisket taking about an hour a pound and that 14 pounder in the thread was done in under 7! (but it still looked tender in the pics). Also, are you cooking fat cap up or down when cooking that hot? (guessing this may not be as important since this is more offset than cooking on a UDS...)

Another question that was asked but only kind of addressed - grilling on the O/U. I am planning on ditching my rusted out Weber Kettle and I've justified this new grill/smoker purchase to my wife by the fact that my GRILL is bad, not my smoker. So, those of you with the O/U, have you done any grilling on the fire box? How is it?

In regards to grilling, I really like the huge surface (pushing twice the size of the weber). I would only use if for fast sear style grilling (most of my grilling is done at very high temps, practically flame broiling)... If I want something slow/indirect, I smoke it.

My next question is about protecting the exterior. I see some people using WD-40. I realize its on the outside, but with all the heat involved and the way metal absorbs oil when it cools, this feels very wrong to me. Has anyone had decent luck with a food safe product on the exterior of the smoker?? (without it getting sticky)

Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

- lehdeman

Warning, I typed a book :-D ->

Several years back I was on this site daily. I got into BBQing because my neighbor gave me a Brinkman Smoke 'n Grill. (big ol' Haus :heh:) I caught the fever. I was on a very tight budget at the time. After a few months of browsing forums on here, I decided to build a UDS. Since then I've been cooking on that thing all of the time. I've made quite the name for myself among my friends to the point where I can't host a party unless there is BBQ... I've now reached the point where I would like to be able to cook more at one time. I have also reached the limit of my grill. I've always cooked with a 22" weber kettle. I'm to the point where every cook I'm putting 3-4 rounds of food on. Truth be told, when I found the Over and Under, I had set out to find a bigger "grill" not smoker. But, I decided if I could kill two birds with one stone (upgrade both), then why not?? So, I've read all 25 pages of this thread and the other threads you guys have linked. I will say I was very surprised to hear the drastic difference in level of effort of a stick burner vs a UDS, but I understand its a whole different beast. I run a thermostat/fan on my UDS which pretty much makes it set and forget. I am curious if anyone has tried a fan thermostat (like the IQ120 or the BBQ Guru) on a rig like this. I'm sure it wouldn't be set and forget but was curious if it could turn a stick an hour into 2-3 sticks every 3 hours or so???

I read Bludawg's threads on his mods and then his first brisket cook. I was shocked to see how quick he cooked that brisket. I guess I'm used to going low and slow for everything except poultry. But, if I had to add fuel every hour, I'd do all I could to speed that up. My question is - do you find that the food tastes as good or better cooked fast on a stick burner than low and slow on a UDS running lump and chunks? I'm used to a brisket taking about an hour a pound and that 14 pounder in the thread was done in under 7! (but it still looked tender in the pics). Also, are you cooking fat cap up or down when cooking that hot? (guessing this may not be as important since this is more offset than cooking on a UDS...)

Another question that was asked but only kind of addressed - grilling on the O/U. I am planning on ditching my rusted out Weber Kettle and I've justified this new grill/smoker purchase to my wife by the fact that my GRILL is bad, not my smoker. So, those of you with the O/U, have you done any grilling on the fire box? How is it?

In regards to grilling, I really like the huge surface (pushing twice the size of the weber). I would only use if for fast sear style grilling (most of my grilling is done at very high temps, practically flame broiling)... If I want something slow/indirect, I smoke it.

My next question is about protecting the exterior. I see some people using WD-40. I realize its on the outside, but with all the heat involved and the way metal absorbs oil when it cools, this feels very wrong to me. Has anyone had decent luck with a food safe product on the exterior of the smoker?? (without it getting sticky)

Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

- lehdeman

Get an Assassin Grill / grill or smoke - can run on guru. Standard is 36" but optional 48" - maybe even 60".
O/U is not airtight to run a guru and would Eat Up charcoal for smoking.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212864

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247458

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3ex_Dki_A[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu11hmNyAg[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra6XVlnPg6k[/ame]

Last edited:
Or buy an Old Country Cantina grill........you could smoke on it too by building a shielded charcoal basket for the right side but you may need to get the End door to seal better.....

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits™-cantina-xxl-charcoal-grill

As far as the exterior - when you get some rust - sand it and hit it with a metal treatment like: then repaint, keep spray cans of BBQ paint and spot paint as needed on reg basis.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C02CDG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497288962&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ospho+metal+treatment&dpPl=1&dpID=31pYwvpI4zL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

My question is - do you find that the food tastes as good or better cooked fast on a stick burner than low and slow on a UDS running lump and chunks?
Hot & fast on a stick burner tastes better than low & slow on charcoal (or hot & fast on charcoal for that matter).

Also, are you cooking fat cap up or down when cooking that hot? (guessing this may not be as important since this is more offset than cooking on a UDS...)
Fat cap goes toward the heat, no matter the cooker. I'm not sure if the O/U has top-down or bottom-up airflow, but whatever it is use the fat cap as a heat shield.

Doesn't matter when it's on the outside. Paint isn't food safe but every smoker is painted.

Great.

Freaking great.

I was all set to pull the trigger on an o/u, now it looks like I need to investigate the Assassin grill/smoker.

For what I cook, it might be a better fit.

Thanks for bringing this up, Smitty.

Or buy an Old Country Cantina grill........you could smoke on it too by building a shielded charcoal basket for the right side but you may need to get the End door to seal better.....

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits™-cantina-xxl-charcoal-grill

As far as the exterior - when you get some rust - sand it and hit it with a metal treatment like: then repaint, keep spray cans of BBQ paint and spot paint as needed on reg basis.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...+treatment&dpPl=1&dpID=31pYwvpI4zL&ref=plSrch

With this mindset, wouldn't I be better off to buy the Pecos model and weld angle iron on the bottom to throw a charcoal grate? (then I still have a firebox for smoking). This cantina looks like a Pecos - firebox. This was my original plan, but I felt like the O/U looked much more efficient and less likely for hotspots... Also, the Assassin looks awesome, but ceiling of my budget is $500. I was supposed to stick to $400. ;)

If $400 is your Budget - Buy a 26" Weber Kettle for $299. Smoking on a Kettle is Easy and of course Grilling is Great.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246
Or find a local Fab guy to build you a rectangle grill or get a 30" Firepit.......

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/spo/6136279834.html

I just talked to this guy on the phone. he builds them as a side business. He's gonna build me a 30" diameter 12" deep one like whats pictured. :heh: 3 weeks. $350. The one in Craigslist Ad/Pic is 24" x 8" for $250.

If $400 is your Budget - Buy a 26" Weber Kettle for $299. Smoking on a Kettle is Easy and of course Grilling is Great.

HAH! Funny you say that. Smoking aside, a 26" kettle has been my planned purchase for 2 years (had been waiting on my 22" to die). But then I decided I'd love to have a bigger smoker too (been hosting bigger parties and would like to be able to do more than pork butts for the quantity of people). Should I take it from these alternate suggestions that grilling on the O/U is not preferable?

HAH! Funny you say that. Smoking aside, a 26" kettle has been my planned purchase for 2 years (had been waiting on my 22" to die). But then I decided I'd love to have a bigger smoker too (been hosting bigger parties and would like to be able to do more than pork butts for the quantity of people). Should I take it from these alternate suggestions that grilling on the O/U is not preferable?

No, the Set it forget it on charcoal with Guru part........

I'd buy a 26" Kettle then build another UDS.- $450ish total. Or bump up Budget and do an Assassin Grill. How many Butts.? On my 2 rack UDS I could do 8 butts at once......or 4 on bottom grate and 6 racks of St. Louis Spares in rib rack on top Grate......

Hot & fast on a stick burner tastes better than low & slow on charcoal (or hot & fast on charcoal for that matter).

Fat cap goes toward the heat, no matter the cooker. I'm not sure if the O/U has top-down or bottom-up airflow, but whatever it is use the fat cap as a heat shield.

Doesn't matter when it's on the outside. Paint isn't food safe but every smoker is painted.

Thanks for the input Dave. Towards the heat was what I meant. I guess I hadn't considered smokers that could re-route the heat to the top. (you can see I'm speaking through my limited UDS filter) :heh:

Back