New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

It's in some stores but not available online yet. It needs the same fire grate mods and I added a 4th grate for water pan but that's not a necessity. It runs $699.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am setting a record for smoker pondering, but I am hoping someone gets the OU with the $80 shipping with a positive result. I think if I could drive down the road and buy one that looked good for $500-600 I'd just do it at this point.

The points I'm currently deliberating:
- From a practicality perspective, I already have more cookers than I "need." But this is a hobby of mine, so it's not all about what is practical.
- That said, I could benefit from more space for the relatively rare times I do bigger cooks. Probably a 22 inch WSM or even another 18 incher would be the most practical way to solve for that. I know how to use them, love them, they are inexpensive, portable, the fuel is available everywhere by me, via the web, etc.
- That said, I would love to try this more pure approach of an all wood fire. The Over Under seems to fit the bill, especially with the endorsements in this thread. If it's $600 + $80 shipping + tax + whatever the mods that are needed, that starts getting a little pricey to me. I do worry a little bit about if the quality varies and agree with the person above asking if it's worth the gamble that you get a good one.
- With that, I still ponder just going to what might be the next level and looking at a backyard Meadow Creek or Yoder.
- And with all that said, I still think the basic question I need before all of this - where am I getting the wood? And am I committed to keeping a wood pile vs. picking up KBB at Home Depot or any grocery store and Amazon priming next or even same day smoking wood and lump charcoal?

Wife just bought herself an expensive purse. I will be buying *something* before the summer!!!

I am setting a record for smoker pondering, but I am hoping someone gets the OU with the $80 shipping with a positive result. I think if I could drive down the road and buy one that looked good for $500-600 I'd just do it at this point.

The points I'm currently deliberating:
- From a practicality perspective, I already have more cookers than I "need." But this is a hobby of mine, so it's not all about what is practical.
- That said, I could benefit from more space for the relatively rare times I do bigger cooks. Probably a 22 inch WSM or even another 18 incher would be the most practical way to solve for that. I know how to use them, love them, they are inexpensive, portable, the fuel is available everywhere by me, via the web, etc.
- That said, I would love to try this more pure approach of an all wood fire. The Over Under seems to fit the bill, especially with the endorsements in this thread. If it's $600 + $80 shipping + tax + whatever the mods that are needed, that starts getting a little pricey to me. I do worry a little bit about if the quality varies and agree with the person above asking if it's worth the gamble that you get a good one.
- With that, I still ponder just going to what might be the next level and looking at a backyard Meadow Creek or Yoder.
- And with all that said, I still think the basic question I need before all of this - where am I getting the wood? And am I committed to keeping a wood pile vs. picking up KBB at Home Depot or any grocery store and Amazon priming next or even same day smoking wood and lump charcoal?

Wife just bought herself an expensive purse. I will be buying *something* before the summer!!!

You could get the $399 Pecos and make a convection plate yourself. 1/8" plate cut it with a circular saw with $6 metal blade and drill some holes. All it needs.

Love It. :heh: ( mine is heavier gauge and little smaller than the Academy versions but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Academy version)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223711

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223728

But I'm partial to verticals. :mrgreen: - Nice even Temps with water pans. Small Footprint.

Wow very nice !! Thats what i was actually looking into getting before i read about the O/U... Im looking to step my game up with the smoke rings, smoke flavor which my uds dsnt offer to much of for some reason and this is my main reaon as to wanting a stick burner. Ive heard the same about the verticals, is this true (limited ring and smoke flavor)

I let ya in on a secret, if that UDS aint giving you the flavor it aint the UDS:roll:

I get the flavor for the most part., But very rarley get the smoke ring..I use everything, cheery , peach, oak , hickory, etc....but is in no comparrison (for the most part) to my buddy trailer stick burner and he gets the flavor and the ring all the time

Don't let yourself fall into the trap of pit envy- it can be an expensive trip. That UDS can turn an ordinary guy into a cooking fool. Don't get hung up on the Holy Smoke Ring. The UDS is a fine cooker - buying something else won't necessarily step up your game.

good luck though.

You could get the $399 Pecos and make a convection plate yourself. 1/8" plate cut it with a circular saw with $6 metal blade and drill some holes. All it needs.

You like that more than the Wrangler, right? Since it has thicker walls?

Back