Aaron Franklin on Jimmy Kimmel Tonight

Certainly his publicist (I think it may be his wife?) keeps his name out there but his brisket rep is well earned. Cudos from Bon Appetit, Bourdain, Texas Monthly are not just because he runs a good PR campaign.

Absolutely this. The win the accolades you have to perform day in and day out. Bon Appetit knows what world class food is. Daniel Vaughn knows what world class food is. Bourdain and other top critics in the world know what world class food is. If Aaron Franklin didn't produce world class food, he wouldn't be recognized as one of the best BBQ cooks in the world.

Nobody is saying that he is light years ahead of other bbq joint in Texas or even the world. However when you are a world class chef/cook, it takes going over every little detail to determine who is the "better" cook etc. Watch Top Chef and listen to the critiques towards the end of the season and you will hear the judges (all world class chefs and food critics) say that each meal was fantastic and that they literally have to split hairs to decide who is better.

Don't poopoo on Franklin because he is a hipster or a media darling. It is the "Haters gonna hate when you are at the top of the heap" mentality that is borderline disrespectful on the hardwork that Aaron Franklin, his wife, and the rest of his team has done to earn the accolades and still be able to make a great product day and day out.

^^^^ good point Ren. It would be a better one if you didn't have the bouncing cheese burger for an avatar :becky:

Don't poopoo on Franklin because he is a hipster or a media darling. It is the "Haters gonna hate when you are at the top of the heap" mentality that is borderline disrespectful on the hardwork that Aaron Franklin, his wife, and the rest of his team has done to earn the accolades and still be able to make a great product day and day out.

Please, this whole celebrity chef thing is most unsavory. Good Lord, just about anybody can get a damn TV show these days. Look at Rachel Ray for Pete sake. Franklin is a BBQ guy that's not as obnoxious as Myron but that's all I'm gonna give him. I've never ate his food and I'll be damned if I stand in line for an hour and a half just to pay him for the privilege.

This is not hating anybody - it's hating the values that many people hold however. And I think it deserves further thought than "hero bashing."

I'm halfway through the book right now and I'm enjoying it very much. I haven't had the chance to try his food yet even though I've been to Austin since his popularity has spiked. I'm still a huge fan just given to the fact that he wanted something and worked his behind off for it. His Wife plays a huge role in his success as well. He seems like a very humble and likable guy and as many have mentioned, would be cool to sit down and have a few beers with. If his attitude was any less than it is, we probably wouldn't be talking about him as much. That being said, I'm not interested in the celebrity, I could care less about that. I think he'd agree as well. What I am interested in is what he is sharing, that to me is worth buying the book and watching him on TV. I feel that it's also very important, if you care about making good BBQ, you should be on this site as well. Lots of people on here that make great food and share their experiences. I'm still in learning and trying to soak up as much as I can whether it's from Franklin or the members of this site.

Editted: Message could be deemed argumentative, so I edited out to keep the peace.

.... I've never ate his food and I'll be damned if I stand in line for an hour and a half just to pay him for the privilege.

."

By the way, waiting in line for an hour and a half only means you are still about 90 minutes from eating at Franklins - unless you pre-order at least 5# weeks in advance - then you don't wait at all.

Every time I read or watch something with Aaron Franklin in it I REALLY want to cook a brisket after. His videos did convince me to try my first S&P brisket only and it was probably the better brisket I have turned out. He is successful for whatever the reason and if I ever find myself in Austin I'd give it a try. Most folks I know couldn't come close to running the operation he does. He comes across as a very meticulous individual and I'm guessing burnout will set in at some point.

Back