Franklin Barbecue A Meat Smoking Manifesto

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
The FB-MSM is on sale Amazon for around $15
Aaron Franklin Smoke- his new book is on pre order. I didn't purchase Franklin Steak, and no current plans to pre order Smoke.
However I promise you Franklin Barbecue- A Meat Smoking Manifesto is worth every penny of $15.

It's worth the $15 as it is fun to read but at the end of the day there is not much in the book that is beneficial to those of us who a) don't have 250-1000 gallon direct flow offset stick burners b) don't have access to Texas post oak and c) don't have access to Franklin's brisket source.
I would even go so far as to say that is more a story about persevering and the pursuit of excellence in the face of no start-up capital and plenty of competition than about how to make great 'Q.

I agree with @Fsonicsmith as I've never found this book to be all that valuable. It's an interesting read and has a good history of how Aaron got started in BBQ and his upbringing. His discussion about fire management is fine but there's amazing videos on YouTube which demonstrate this technique...and these videos provide much more utility than reading about fire management.

The recipes are fine but not all that unique or different from what you would find anywhere else.

I've always been surprised with how coveted this book is by people and for the life of me I can't figure out why. If anything BBQ with Franklin on YouTube / PBS is a much better source of information from Aaron Franklin.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

Had a huge influence on me and I still get the book out occasionally. Best barbecue book I've ever purchased.

I like history, I like cooking, I like biographies and I love books. Usually a couple going at same time.
I stand by my post. Worth every penny.
This is my last post****"

*****Just kidding, no place else I'd rather be, and no place else to go ✌️

I like history, I like cooking, I like biographies and I love books. Usually a couple going at same time.
I stand by my post. Worth every penny.

But you did know, that you make a post here concerning Aaron Franklin and its gonna bring on controversy.

Why ? For the life of me, I can't answer that.

And its been that way for a long time. Go dig back into 2012 and 2013 posts on this site. At one time, he was a dreaded " hipster " :wink:. Franklin has always had his detractors. And a lot of it originates from other Texans.

Apart from the BBQ, this book is a dissertation of "what it takes". There are few others like it. Anyone wanting to start a business in food, or anything for that matter needs to read this and self reflect on whether they have the right stuff to be successful or are they a great back-yarder who's friends and relatives are telling them to open up a BBQ Restaurant.

It will be the best $15.00 you ever spend. Could save your life.

Franklin is a very successful business model. Love him or hate him, as both put coins in his pockets.

-D

I don't see that , not at all.

If he really wanted to cash in, he'd franchised his name. Its a given that many many big restaurant chains have approached him with a deal that would've made him ultra wealthy.

And not only that, he won't even open a second location in Austin.

And he won't even stay open for a dinner service.

The facts just don't support that he's all about a profit, which is no crime either. I would not blame him for cashing in. I got no problem with someone making money. That's how we Americans roll.

I didn't say he was all about profit. I said HE was a successful business model. The definition of success can vary from comfortable ta as ya say "ultra wealthy. He's in there somewhere.

-D

"But you did know, that you make a post here concerning Aaron Franklin and its gonna bring on controversy."

Back