Aaron Franklin on Jimmy Kimmel Tonight

Snows, Lamberts, Pecan Lodge, Muellers, Stanleys... I continue to slowly traipse over Texas on my personal Q safari. Hands down, Franklin's brisket is my favorite. But Mueller and Pecan Lodge's beef ribs are its equal and Lamberts jalapeno sausage is superb. IMHO I think my own ribs are on par with anywhere. Aaron is friendly and media savvy with a ready smile. He knows how to mix with his customers who greet him as a 'star' but without any undercurrent of smugness or arrogance. Certainly his publicist (I think it may be his wife?) keeps his name out there but his brisket rep is well earned. Cudos from Bon Appetit, Bourdain, Texas Monthly are not just because he runs a good PR campaign.

I think once you make it on TV, other appearances/opportunities come much easier. They know what to expect of you. You also become recognizable and people will tune in. IMO..

I have found that to be true.

Just from the portion of his book I've read and seeing his videos and on BBQ Pitmasters, He seems like a Guy that worked hard for everything he has and I'm glad to see him make it.

That was cool thanks for the link shag. The only downside to this whole thing is that briskets will get even more expensive. :-D Some people are meant to be famous and have a lot of charisma. He also has the substance to back it up. He is clearly obsessive about bbq and paid his dues. I think it's great. I hope to get the book soon.

The guy seems beyond genuine, humble and down to earth. When I watch videos that random customers take with him, it's amazing how much time he spends with them (especially considering that's probably at the end of a 10-12 hour work day). Not only that, but media wise he's working with public broadcasting (as opposed to food network) and he's even doing a free book signing + talk at an independent book store in Austin. Kind of guy I'd gladly wait in line and spend my money on if I was ever in Texas

The best Q IMO can be found in backyards all over in Texas on any given weekend. I have been to all the "great" bbq spots in SA,Lockhart,Austin,Luling,Llano,Brady,Bryan, etc. and I was never wowed. It was ok to good bbq but never great. I am not trying to be a turd,its just my opinion. BBQ to me is backyard,shade tree,family time. Its amazing how much of a following bbq competitions are getting these days.

Not sure if anyone noticed but prior to that segment they did a lead-in shot with Aaron standing in front of the open smoker. I noticed he had them all wrapped in the pink butcher paper and I think disposed of it up front before the main segment. I got a huge roll of that at RD and will start experimenting with it.

This is "jumping the shark" to me. And to see so many WORSHIP him like a primitive God is beyond my comprehension. I think some folks need to quit inhaling so much smoke.

This is "jumping the shark" to me. And to see so many WORSHIP him like a primitive God is beyond my comprehension. I think some folks need to quit inhaling so much smoke.

His brisket is obviously lights out. Or there wouldn't be as much fanfare over it as it has. Because I know there's been enough brethren (who know BBQ) that have eaten it that have said it's worth the trek. But as I said in a previous post. Though I haven't tried it, I doubt his brisket is light years better than the Muellers, Snows and other highly garnered BBQ joints in Texas. So where does the popularity difference come from?

Someone mentioned it but he's got the personality for tv. He seems extremely people friendly, humble and most important, likable. Add that to a great product he makes and put them in front of a camera and you've got an instant celebrity. Again, I'm proud for him. Well deserved in my opinion.

1348758969006_3688526.png

Remember the reason he's doing this tv spot is to promote the book. He is good on camera. He's an "everyman" and stays on message. I did get his book (I have books by other pitmasters too) and enjoyed the change of pace. It doesn't have all the cook book filler most have. the title fits, it really is a manifesto, with a good portion being his back story in Q. Gathering from what I've seen of Franklin, I'd say he would generally agree with you. In the book he mentioned other joints that serve things that are better than his a I remember him stated the line is a bit ridiculous.

Bbq is in a golden age in the public eye. These guys don't have much control over who gets the most attention. I say ride the wave and cash in while you can. Remember when poker players where household name?

I don't think there's any doubt he cooks great Q. But I very seriously doubt it is light years better than the others in Texas that have also garnered a reputation of cooking great Q. My guess is he's marketed himself well or his manager has, which ever the case. I also think he has made a connection with the hipster/millennial crowd that other BBQ joints have not. But that's just my opinion.

This sums it up nicely.

Back