Franklin Pit

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I went hands on with a Franklin Offset this morning. A local BBQ Pro Shop had a few of the Franklin Pits on their floor. Wow, amazing Pit $5150+0.0875 tax. But you know what? It's beautiful. I've read all the reasons why not, I read most everything here. Most things in life I want, I get. I can usually easily defend my purchase (like the hand held rechargeable chain saw I just ordered). It is literally the difference between pro shop golf clubs and Kmart K28's. I actually owned K28's decades ago before proshop Titleist Blades, then Taylor Mades then Callaway. Bottom line? An Old Country would be a massive upgrade from My Oklahoma Joe's Highland at 1/10th the price.
Justified? That Franklin Pit is a whole different league, no whole different game. Then again most of my food is edible, or at least people who eat it are polite. In my game I'm a starter. In that game Id be a bench warmer. Swiiiiing Batttter.

If I only wore a younger man's clothes.

Last edited:
Gotta love the Billy Joel reference!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It is a looker but has a bit too many downsides for its price tag—my main gripe would be its size, could've been easily 24" pipe for that much money. I wouldn't say anybody could argue it's a bad pit or that bad food comes out of it, quite the opposite. I guess the name makes up half of the price tag however.

It is a looker but has a bit too many downsides for its price tag—my main gripe would be its size, could've been easily 24" pipe for that much money. I wouldn't say anybody could argue it's a bad pit or that bad food comes out of it, quite the opposite. I guess the name makes up half of the price tag however.

Yeah, Franklin's cooking fame makes his pits more popular and costly than truly warranted. I'd much rather have a Jambo Back Yard.

My Bride asked me at what price we'd be looking for room on the Patio. I replied $2500 including delivery and we'd be looking for wood. She said, so I don't need to shuffle the patio? Nope, not happening.

Well, this is kinda a tough one. Like you I've read/heard most of the reasons why not. I'm sure most, if not all, of them are valid. But you've got game and if, for whatever reason, you choose to win with the K28s (or the Franklin) that's your choice. Cook and play with what you want. In the end, its the Indian, not the Arrow that matters...

well, this is kinda a tough one. Like you i've read/heard most of the reasons why not. I'm sure most, if not all, of them are valid. But you've got game and if, for whatever reason, you choose to win with the k28s (or the franklin) that's your choice. Cook and play with what you want. In the end, its the indian, not the arrow that matters...

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...I would not mind having a Franklin smoker but they are the Harley-Davidsons of the smoker market. (I say that as someone thats owned 3 Harleys and still currently owns one)

My Bride asked me at what price we'd be looking for room on the Patio. I replied $2500 including delivery and we'd be looking for wood. She said, so I don't need to shuffle the patio? Nope, not happening.

I live in East Texas and while its the Piney woods there is still a lot of hardwood. But even so, if you are having to buy hardwood it is not cheap.

Some of y'all know my story. I saved up for 5 years to buy my Klose in 2011. I paid $1900 for a 20"x48" back then (This was before barbeque was cool, most YouTubers, and before "Pit Masters" on TV). In 2017 I moved, and the movers tried to lift my pit with a forklift. They dropped it and pretty much ruined it. I went to Klose to get a quote on a replacement and the cost was $4300 for the same pit.
After a protracted fight with the movers and insurance, they settled for the replacement cost. At the time, I could get a Shirley 24"x60" on a trailer for that price. I did, and I love it. However, If I am truly being honest, it is way more pit than I need 99.999% of the time. I'd never get rid of it, but it is very rare that I am cooking anywhere near capacity.
That said, I don't see how most folks could justify the cost of most pits today. Mobergs, Franklins, Fat Stacks, even Shirley's are just beyond the reach of most folks today.
I was in Houston two weeks ago and got to see some Old Country pits at Academy Sporting Goods. Were I pitless, I would give those pits a long, hard look for the price.

The absolute only negative I've heard against Old Country is cook chamber door fit. That being said if there's more than one available, pick the best. Today the OC and Oklahoma Joe's Highland are within dimes of each other. Now my Joe cooks edible food. But starting a new today with prices so close I'd go Old Country.

Now full disclosure. I'm totally fine with a 34-36 inch cook chamber. If I need more room, I can fire up up to Five cookers for more meats

Some of y'all know my story. I saved up for 5 years to buy my Klose in 2011. I paid $1900 for a 20"x48" back then (This was before barbeque was cool, most YouTubers, and before "Pit Masters" on TV). In 2017 I moved, and the movers tried to lift my pit with a forklift. They dropped it and pretty much ruined it. I went to Klose to get a quote on a replacement and the cost was $4300 for the same pit.
After a protracted fight with the movers and insurance, they settled for the replacement cost. At the time, I could get a Shirley 24"x60" on a trailer for that price. I did, and I love it. However, If I am truly being honest, it is way more pit than I need 99.999% of the time. I'd never get rid of it, but it is very rare that I am cooking anywhere near capacity.
That said, I don't see how most folks could justify the cost of most pits today. Mobergs, Franklins, Fat Stacks, even Shirley's are just beyond the reach of most folks today.
I was in Houston two weeks ago and got to see some Old Country pits at Academy Sporting Goods. Were I pitless, I would give those pits a long, hard look for the price.

Agreed on price being out of range of most. Im surprised more people done build there own out of 120 or 250 tanks. Its rather easy teach yourself to weld and a pretty straight forward process overall to build. You can build $8k pit for 1/3 cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back