Franklin Pit

https://youtu.be/ArwKtMQIrZ8
Maybe that helps

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

I’ve watched that video several times and really enjoyed it despite the obvious biases, tendency to constantly dismiss the old for the new, and humorless know it all tone.

It’s really apples and oranges though, because Jeremy compares the 20 inch pipe Franklin with the 24 inch pipe Workhorse 1975.

All the same, it’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a meaningful comparison of the two brands.

Maybe at some point we will have a comparison of the Franklin and the more similar 1969.

I've got the Franklin pit. I dont know if I could justify the price where it's at now. I paid 3500+shipping which was maybe 600 bucks the time which was reasonable compared to other pits at that time. 5150 including shipping is still a pretty stout price increase from when I bought the pit. Is it twice as good as the Workhorse? There's no way but I do think it's better, but I'm clearly biased having spent the money. I think the design of the exchange between the firebox and cook chamber is better. I think the semi insulated firebox adds a lot of value and I think the ellipsoid head on the stack side improves the air flow. It also gives you slightly more space compared to the 1969 (not including an upper grate).

I would take that video with a large grain of salt. I don't know what soured Jeremy on the Franklin pit. He's got some kind of bias with Fatstack, clearly. The owner of Fatstack brought him two pits. The other guy in the video owned the 1975. Clearly he's not going to say the Franklin is better. When comparing prices Jeremy would always roll in the shipping on the Franklin price and didn't do that with the other smokers. When I was shopping for smokers I looked really hard at Workhorse. I think they are great pits. Shirley wasn't an option at that time for direct flow. The Millscale pit was over 1000 more than the Franklin at that point.

I've got the Franklin pit. I dont know if I could justify the price where it's at now. I paid 3500+shipping which was maybe 600 bucks the time which was reasonable compared to other pits at that time. 5150 including shipping is still a pretty stout price increase from when I bought the pit. Is it twice as good as the Workhorse? There's no way but I do think it's better, but I'm clearly biased having spent the money. I think the design of the exchange between the firebox and cook chamber is better. I think the semi insulated firebox adds a lot of value and I think the ellipsoid head on the stack side improves the air flow. It also gives you slightly more space compared to the 1969 (not including an upper grate).

I would take that video with a large grain of salt. I don't know what soured Jeremy on the Franklin pit. He's got some kind of bias with Fatstack, clearly. The owner of Fatstack brought him two pits. The other guy in the video owned the 1975. Clearly he's not going to say the Franklin is better. When comparing prices Jeremy would always roll in the shipping on the Franklin price and didn't do that with the other smokers. When I was shopping for smokers I looked really hard at Workhorse. I think they are great pits. Shirley wasn't an option at that time for direct flow. The Millscale pit was over 1000 more than the Franklin at that point.

Men have been defending their purchases since at least the days when the book of Proverbs was written (20th chapter I think) and I’m certainly no exception!

The only way to have a truly unbiased comparison would be to have it done by a third-party expert who not only owned neither smoker himself but lived in Indiana or South Dakota or somewhere instead of anywhere near Georgia or Texas!

Let's not forget one selling point of the Franklin...a built in water pan tray.

That was actually the opposite of a selling point for me. I prefer having the grate extend further to the right where it can be used either to hold a water pan or to crisp up chicken or bratwurst or, most importantly, to do bigger biscuit tests!

Just my opinion but none of these pits are a one model fits all solution. I think everybody has to find what fits their own likes, dislikes, space needs and budget and go from there.

I was on the waiting list for a Franklin pit as soon as i found out about them. At the end of 2019 I decided to go a different route and ended up with a 250 gallon. If i had to buy my pit again today i figure it would cost 40% more now today. From my rough math i think the Franklin pits have increased about the same amount in that same amount of time.I know every builder hasn't had the same price increases but Franklin isn't the only one that has.

Back