Smoking veggies

hogsbreath

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find much.
I have a cook coming up and was notified there were a couple vegetarians.
They only asked for vegetarian baked beans, but being an overachiever, I want to provide something better.
Has anyone smoked broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant......
Just want to provide the best possible service and keep my name on their lips and a top choice for a catering.
Thanks for any advice/input!!!!

Hogsbreath
Lebanon Ohio

None of those.
I have smoked bell peppers and chili's though and they came out fine.
Maybe stuffed bell peppers?

I've done grilled/smoked jackfruit to somewhat mimic pulled pork. It's actually not half bad, but you do need to make a pretty quick smoke to ensure you don't dry it out. Also, grilled portabella's are a good choice.

I love to do portobello mushrooms with some balsamic vinegar and topped with aged asiago cheese melted on them at the last minute. Texture of a fine steak, flavor to knock your socks off. Give them a try:-D

Peg leg porker has a recipe for smoked green beans (google it) that if you omit the bacon, will be vegetarian. Plus they're surprisingly good!

I have done broccoli before and it worked out pretty well. Just put the broccoli in a small aluminum tray and coat in olive oil with your favorite rub. I just mixed a few times in the process. Honestly, can't remember how long it took to complete but I am thinking 1-2 hours.

I've cooked cauliflower per the recipe below. I thought it turned out pretty good, though I'm not 100% sure about the milk step. I'd probably just blanch it next time and not worry about cooking for long in the milk. But, I did enjoy the end flavor with the rub on top.

Another good option is smoked eggplant dip - Cut eggplants in half, put them in the smoker, and then scoop out the soft flesh and mix in with garlic / Tehina sauce or whatever else you'd like.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018586-roasted-cauliflower-with-ras-el-hanout

I've smoked veggies several times this year. IMHO, every time they've come out too smokey. For me, limiting the exposure to smoke is important otherwise it becomes just too much.

I've smoked veggies several times this year. IMHO, every time they've come out too smokey. For me, limiting the exposure to smoke is important otherwise it becomes just too much.

This was my experience this weekend with broccolini. I threw them on for 30mins at the end of my cook and they were way over smoked, plus the texture was off.

I prefer them grilled for flavor, color and texture.

Corn on the cob: Fold the husks back, remove the silk, rub liberally with butter and the spices of your choice, fold the husks back on, and smoke at 250 for about 2 hours or until done.

Remove the husks, brush with butter / spice mix again and serve.

Look up smoked cabbage. I can't put a link in right now it I would...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto on the portabellas with EVOO and a little balsamic. Did not care for the eggplant that I smoked sliced but I have heard smoke it whole till soft then scoop out the flesh and make a hummus style dip. Also smoked whole sweet potatoes are my favorite, just wash, dry, poke a few holes set on grate and smoke till soft, delicious.

Now that i think about I remember having a similar problem so i ended up wrapping the broccoli after 30 minutes or so. I am thinking for next time i might smoke for a bit and then finish the grill to get a char on there. I usually love grilled broccoli so would be interesting with the smoke flavor.

Smoked, stuffed tomatoes, with black beans, roasted corn (maybe), sauteed onions and peppers, etc.. are bangin. Top them with cotija cheese. A touch of bbq sauce added to the beans help take it over the top.

I've done a tray of mixed veggies on the smoker.. Start with warming up about 1/2 cup of olive oil on the stove top. Add a bunch of minced garlic. Just cook it really low for a few minutes so the Oil takes on some of the garlic flavor. Toss Cauliflower, Broccoli, Sweet potato chunks, and onion (and brussel sprouts if you like them) in the oil and spread out on a cookie sheet. Season with Salt and pepper and smoke at 350-400 until they achieve the desired doneness. You can cook them lower, but they may not get the nice carmely edge bits that are my favorite part.

A grilled corn salad is also tasty.. - Grilled corn, avacado, cherry tomatos, black beans, red onion, and some lime juice. Season with S&P

Grilled Asparagus, grilled romaine, grilled avocado, Grilled zucchini, grilled mushrooms - All are tasty veggie solutions

I do a dish for work that kills but is super easy, slice zuchinni, squash, cauliflower (cut in 1/4" steaks if possible) asparagus and small grape tomatoes. Toss with an Olive Oil blend and Montreal Steak seasoning. Lay out in one layer on sheet pan(s) and roast at 400F for 30 minutes. If they get a little char on them that is ideal. Super easy and delicious either in the oven or on the grill/smoker at higher temps.

Serve them layed out on a platter at room temp.

Back