Just beginning smoking - restore old New Braunfels offset or not?

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all - first post! I've lurked for a few days and have already marveled at the great quantity of incredible info here and the truly kind and helpful nature of this site. Thanks to all of you for making this possible.

I also want you to know that you have caused me to actually leave the house late at night on several occasions in search of smoked meat because the pics you post drive me to it. Thanks a lot - I should have just gone to bed and not listened to my whiny stomach.

Long story short - a dear friend of mine passed away a few months ago in his late 50s from cancer. He was one of the finest men I have ever known and was a great inspiration to me in so many ways. A few months before he died he gave me his smoker, which is a 25ish-year-old New Braunfels. I don't have a new offset to compare it to, but this thing seems to be incredibly robust and sure is heavy. I've been taking it apart to refinish it and hopefully give it many more years.

However, I've been doing lots of reading about smoking and this morning read a very detailed article on amazingribs.com about the shortcomings of the COS (Cheap Offset Smoker), and how they are inferior in so many ways.

Last year I got a Weber One-Touch Gold, never having grilled before, and have been absolutely shocked at the burgers, steak, and chops that I can now produce. I use hardwood charcoal and cook at 500*, and little compares to the bliss it creates. I am absolutely hooked on grilling and can't wait to get into smoking, but I want to be sure that my equipment is capable of creating the results I want. I never intend to compete, but want to be able to create incredible ribs, butt, brisket, chicken, etc.

My question is this: is it worth restoring the 25-year-old New Braunfels, or would I be better served to just go with something like a Pit Barrel Smoker? The New Braunfels is quite rusty but appears to be fully functional; I am having a time trying to find some replacement grates since they're all quite rusted. I guess I'm a bit afraid of going through the expense and effort to get this smoker in top condition only for it to not be capable of creating fantastic q because of inherent design flaws. However, it would be really nice if it were old enough to actually be a quality offset, and in that case it would be worth restoring. I have read a bit about ways to improve COSs, but am again weighing it all in the balance.

Sorry for the long, cumbersome read, guys - thank you so much for your input! Happy to provide pics if they would be any help.

New Braunfels made some quality stuff back then.. Cimmaron, Longhorn, even the early bandera was a great cooker.. You may have a diamond in the rough.. You didnt say which model you have. Post us some photos.

Restoring your buddy's off-set would sure be worthy but do you realize what a great smoker that OTG Kettle is? I have 2 of them and both have made smoked product I still get compliments on. I have 10 cookers and most of the people who eat my food wonder why I keep acquiring more smokers as the food I made with the kettle was so good. The amazingribs website talks about the capabilities of that kettle a fair bit.

Me I'd restore the New Braunfels and if a good used Kettle were found on craigslist close to me.....well I'd be grabbing that too.

Restore it! If that offset is 25 years old that means it was built with quality. Amazing ribs talks about the mass production offsets built today around the $150 price tag, these are cheaply built with cheap material. I'm guessing all you need to do is sand it down and give it a fresh coat of paint, replace the grates (you could all ways have a welder custom build you some), and maybe add a baffle. After all this D.I.Y work I'm sure you will get the itch to build yourself a UDS as well. Then you'll have the best of both worlds nice offset and a drum smoker!

Assuming 1/4" offset, that thing will last a lifetime with some cleanup. I would definitely restore it. No reason you can't get a barrel later if you want. Plus, it will always remind you of your friend and there is no memory better than one that goes with good food.

Your kettle can product great smoked meat. There are many people here, including me, who only own a kettle. Here is a image of the basic setup.
weber.jpg

I would take my time restoring the offset and cook on it, remembering your friend.

I agree that restoring it would be a great idea. Post some pics and the smart people here will be able to help you out on what you have, what you need to do, and maybe even some mods that will make it run smoother.

Won't be long and you'll be sitting next to the pit, watching the thin, blue smoke, and thinking of your friend while smoking some delicious Q...

I would restore the pit since it has some sentimental value and it could be something you pass on to your kids.

The first cook should be his favorite food while sipping his favorite drink...already sounds like a helluva day and I don't even know what's on the menu! :thumb:

I have two smokers. The first one I purchased is old and a wood burner, off set firebox.
Refinish the one you have and use it. They were very wellmade, but will leak smoke. Gasket material.

Guys, I can't thank you enough for all of these incredible responses. And the first from the site founder! You all have given me great hope that this smoker may be well worth restoring. I figured even if it was junk (which I sort of doubt, since he made some mean q) I would be in his debt for just giving me the kick into smoking, which I could then pursue with a UDS. But how much better that this is worthwhile!

I won't be home in daylight until sometime tomorrow, but I'll take a few pics (albeit the thing is in pieces!) and take some thickness measurements with the calipers. If you all give the green light, then I'll have a few more questions about things like the best grate replacements, wisdom of refinishing barrel/firebox, thinking about any mods, etc.

Seriously guys, thanks so much. Will be back with pics!

Refinish it. You will have a great project that you can be proud of, and you will be honoring the memory of your friend.

By the way, it's the cook more than the cooker. I know people that make great Q on an old 55 gallon drum turned into a pit (not a UDS).

What you have is definitely not a COS. I have an old Brinkmann offset of the same vintage. It is built like a tank. A little TLC and you will get many years of use out of it. Horizon sells many replacement parts that will fit. I bought a diffuse plate from them.

Not COS

A COS is made of sheet metal in a foreign country. Your NB should be 1/8" or thicker steel made in USA. An angle grinder, 1 or two wheels, appropriate protective gear for lungs, eyes and skin, one can regular BBBq paint for legs and shelf, two cans high temp bbq paint and you've got a lifetime smoker, that you can mid to grill. You're buddy gave that to you to use. Make him and us proud.

Last edited:
You really should refurbish your good friend's smoker. He is the best friend you ever had, since he was responsible for your love of BBQ. I was just blessed with the opportunity to save a Char Griller. It was purchased by my son's best friend in 2000 ( they were friends, co-workers and next door neighbors since 1972). He died from a heart attack at a young age in 2006. I will keep his memory alive through this pit and think of him with each cook.....what could be better?

I just started on this labor of love this past Monday. Here's where it is now.[URL=http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/mikemci/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140311_122836_zps9c89d740.jpg.html]
20140311_122836_zps9c89d740.jpg
[/URL]

You MUST do this! You will treasure it forever.

Refinish it. You will have a great project that you can be proud of, and you will be honoring the memory of your friend.

Ya gota go for it. You can always make grates from #9 (3/4") expanded metal.

I don't want to get into a mess with folks but a kettle ain't a smoker.
I ain't saying you can't cook good food on kettle but it ain't a smoker.

... try it.

Ya gota go for it. You can always make grates from #9 (3/4") expanded metal.

I don't want to get into a mess with folks but a kettle ain't a smoker.
I ain't saying you can't cook good food on kettle but it ain't a smoker.

... try it.

A kettle can mimic qualities of old school pits that tended to be more of a direct heat style. In the 80s in Detroit I remember ribs cooked over coals on horizontal drums (before the uds craze) basted with Hawaiian Punch. There are many disciplines within bbq.

Sorry not quite the place for a kettle is a smoker debate, I really did come to check out his friends smoker and look forward to seeing any progress. The best tributes are the simple ones.

Back