Grilled Veggies and BBQ Cauliflower

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
The 19 in COVID-19 of course stands for the year the virus was first discovered. But for some of us it just about covers the weight gain from too many months of staying in, too much sourdough bread and baked goods and not enough exercise.

Well, we're back to our healthier lifestyle - eating better, exercising and less snacking. And part of eating better includes a lot more fruits and veggies. But they don't need to be boring. And there's nothing wrong with a meal with only veggies. Today was one of those days. A Google News article popped up in my newsfeed this morning for BBQ Cauliflower (thetakeout.com). It looked interesting and I just happened to have a head of cauliflower in the fridge. I thought this would be the star of the show. It was good, but not a recipe that is on my must make again list.

I won't bore you with pics of the dressing that is applied to the head of cauliflower (article calls it a rub, which it is not). But I made up the dressing and brushed it on the head of cauliflower, letting it sit in the fridge for the day. I will say the dressing tasted quite good and I'd find uses for it elsewhere. Cauliflower wasn't going to be the only veggie on our plates as I also had Brussels Sprouts and Eggplant.

Rather than my usual EVOO, S&P for the Eggplant slices, I dredged them in Buttermilk and made use of the Lefty's seasoning. It's good on chicken and fish, why not on veggies? These were started on the Blackstone -

dDav05n.jpg

Brussels Sprouts were steamed, then did get the usual EVOO, S&P treatment -

0XOqtDe.jpg

Prior to starting these, I'd set up the Goldens' for two zone indirect, trying to get as much smoke on the cauliflower as possible -

EW99AcW.jpg

But I didn't start it early enough and the Eggplant and Brussels Sprouts were ready first. A little Cotija cheese and Parsley on the eggplant -

u1SS2Jd.jpg

A healthy drizzle of Balsamic on the Brussels Sprouts -

ciFPZ99.jpg

While the first two veggies were still hot we might as well eat -

qlekzy5.jpg

N48s8VY.jpg

k52amOx.jpg

Finally, the cauliflower is cooked through and ready to go onto the hot side of the grill. I mopped on a sauce from the recipe to get into all the crannies from the core side -

hqntmA9.jpg

aK7zvN7.jpg

Sliced and replated pics -

DbBNdaC.jpg

HsNCNfR.jpg

It looked great, the sauce was quite good but there was something not quite right about what was essentially a barbecue sauce on cauliflower. Maybe it's just me, but my wife was just ok with it as well. Not one we have to try again. They can't all be winners and it never hurts to try new things. Some of you might love this though and it might be worth a head of cauliflower.

Thanks for checking out a "nothing but veggies" post.

For those wondering, Lefty's on Eggplant is a winner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Great post focusing on veges. I saw the cauliflower first and was thinking that looks good not to mention everything else. After reading I think I may pass. Neat idea but, you words hit home.

I’ve never been a fan of cauliflower until I tried roasting it with a splash of olive oil and sprinkling the florets with my own rub (red, white, black and green peppers, garlic, paprika and kosher salt). After about an hour at 300° it’s usually ready to eat. I may try smoking it next time to see how it adds to the flavour.

Dom, did you notice that the cauliflower took on the flavor from the marinate rub? I have read that it will take on flavor but I havent tried to yet.

Dom, did you notice that the cauliflower took on the flavor from the marinate rub? I have read that it will take on flavor but I havent tried to yet.

No, didn't notice that at all but I was expecting it to do so. The recipe states cook indirect for 10 minutes, rotate then another 10. Then over to the hot side of the grill. To me, that isn't anywhere near long enough, especially indirect. Mine was on for at least 45 minutes and it could have used more time but I was growing impatient.

I think the leftovers will get sliced into steaks and grilled.

My favorite method thus far remains roasting in the oven.

This was worth a try and you guys with smokers might have better results.

I’m still searching for a way to enjoy cauliflower. Never considered Bbq sauce, thanks.

The eggplant looks excellent.

Back