New Memeber! Which Pellet Grill??? Decisions, Decisions.. Help!

Dakotad11

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi all from the good ole Mid Ohio Valley! I'm new to this forum and new to pellet grills, well, smoking all together. I absolutely love grilling but want to take it up a notch.

I have been researching for about 2 months now, and after reading what feels like every review on every grill and every pellet grill related posts on multiple forums, I believe I have narrowed down my choices, no specific order, to what would suit me best but what like some more insight from the more experienced.

Option #1: Yoder Smokers YS640 - $2300 with options of my preference. Love the way it's built, its operation, wonderful fan base and most of all it's looks! My concerns..... pellet consumption??? I have read from multiple reviewers that it eats ~5lbs an hour at temps above 350F.... scary... as I will be using it quite often to grill steaks, chicken, chops, brats, veggies, etc. Offset firebox pros and cons? But I love the fact of the open flame option as well as the baffle.. I think?? Also, the controller doesn't have the reputation of my next two options. How's the warrany? Made in USA

Option #2: Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron - $2040 with options of my preference. Similar look to Yoder which I love. Fast response when contacted Tim via email. Reputable controller. Bigger hopper. Ash clean out. Central firebox pros and cons? Concerns, internals made from 409 stainless which still rusts. Very very little reviews that I have been able to find. How does it grill?? Pellet consumption?? I would really like some input from someone who has used one. Warranty is the worst of all options it appears. How's customer service? Performance? Longevity? Made in USA

Option #3: Rec Tec RT680 - $1450 with options of my preference. Reputable controller. All 304 stainless internals which I feel is a huge plus. Central fire box pros and cons? Huge hopper that doubles as a giant shelf/warmer. HUGE fan base, Rec Tec community seems extremely loyal to the company and to Ray. Wonderful customer service. Really seems like the best bang for my buck but to be honest I absolutely hate the look, ie. bullhorns, I can live with the red and even fab up a different handle no problem, but that adds to the cost. Chine made. Hmm? But great warranty.

All seem like great options but I'm the type of person that does not like buying things multiple times or wish I had went a different route. I'm ok with spending more upfront for something that will last longer, but don't want something hat will eat up my meat money because its a pellet hog. As I said I will be doing alo of high temp grilling as well as low temp smokes and really want to have one versatile machine that does all.

Any and all input is appreciated and I thank you in advance!!!!

Of the three listed I'd say Yoder. It is a great smoker that also can actually sear a steak. The Blaz'n would be my second choice but only because the controller is very good.

I would have to take Yoder out of those. That is what I have. I read a lot of reviews about the pellet consumption too, and so far I find them to be BS. I did buy the thermal jacket though which is suppose to help. However I Rarely take it over 275deg usually 225 to 250. My longest cook has been 14 hours and it didn't use a full hopper full, but ambient temps are going to affect that. I could be wrong, but I don't see how thinner metal could lower pellet consumption, which is what other manufactures claim. At least not over a long cook.

Personally, I would not buy any pellet grill for the purpose of grilling. For grilling, I would take a plain kettle grill over my yoder or any other hi tech gizmo. It can be done, it works ok, but in my opinion they are smokers not grills. If grilling is what you are going to do most. I would look at MAK there system seems better setup for grilling to me, but I have not seen one in person.

I have a YS640 as well as a YS1500 and I would be amazed if you could burn 5 # an hour in either of them, actually at 325 degrees they don't use half of that together.

I have the insulated blanket on the 640, only because I got it for free and I thought I would see how it fitted and left it on, it is great as you can lean on it and not get burnt. With that said my experience with both, and I usually don't go over 375 degrees pellet consumption is just over a pound an hour. Yes it varies slightly by pellet brand, ambient temperature etc. but I usually light mine around 9 pm at comps and shut them down at 2 pm the next day and I never have to add pellets, yes the coldest I have cooked in is the high 30's but even then one hopper ran the entire cook.

I have grill grates for my 1500 but have never used them, and if I was to think about a 640 for grilling make sure to get the latest heat deflector that allows an opening above the fire pot, and then with grill grates it would be a gem.

Something else to consider is that if you are using it for steaks etc. at 500 degrees the maximum cook time would be roughly 8-12 minutes, and even if you were cooking for 10-12 people you should be done in 30 minutes.

When it comes to steaks I am a sous vide user and then sear in cast iron in butter for about 2 minutes and my stomach starts growling :-D

As another Okie stated above, there are better ways to grill than using a pellet...umm...grill. We have a YS640 and it will indeed grill if it has to, but firing up a Big Green Egg seems so much easier for those types of cooks. The Yoder makes short work of smoking foods and is a pleasure to use.

Were we forced to actually grill everything on a pellet cooker, we would probably be looking at a Cook Shack PG-500/1000. There would still be the pellet usage issue to contend with, though.

Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron -- I have this pellet pooper and couldn't be more pleased. I don't pay any attention to lbs. of pellets per hour, so I'm the wrong one to ask. Built like a tank. How does it cook? You tell me.

Brisket

aQbQbBO.jpg

tTdchGP.jpg

Meatloaf

aCfxCaD.jpg

Beef ribs

kmD0QSo.jpg

St. Louis Ribs

5QQsqRI.jpg

Turkey Breast

8qeKvtv.jpg

Cupcake Chicken

jWzta23.jpg

Spatchcock Chicken

wU7mron.jpg

Baked Beans

0SSsQiR.jpg

Just my 2 cents dakota being a pellet pooper owner. I have a pellet pro 969 with the upgraded PID controller from smoke daddy. It's not as pretty or high tech as the yoder, rectec or blazn but it cooks like a boss and I love it. Regarding the pellet consumption, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you can find a bulk pellet supplier and maybe someone in your area to share a shipment, the cost to use it will then seem nominal. Worst case scenario, lurk around your local walmarts which now sell decent food grade pellets and when they go on clearance, clean them out!

With that said, the Yoder would be my pick. Be sure to get the grill grates with it and you will be good to go!

For pellets in bulk, contact Seth at BBQPelletsonline.com and he can help you with a purchase by looking up any of his current customers near you that might want to share a shipment. This helps bring down the cost considerably.

I love my Yoder YS640. Bought used, no thermal blanket, no 2- piece diffuser, no grill grates. Makes fantastic BBQ, can use it like an oven if need be, and I cook hamburgers and regular grill stuff all the time. Best hamburgers you will eat. I have not run it at 500, because I use my Weber Performer for those tasks, but I have no doubt I would be happy. I don't burn enough pellets to justify a bulk shipment. I buy Pit Boss pellets at Menard's @$20 for 40 pounds. I cook in the winter as well and probably don't use much over a pound per hour in the cold cooking 275-350.....

Going by pics alone, I'd vote for the Grid Iron.

Oh, and Dakota, welcome to Charleston.

Depending on your budget, I would strongly consider the Rec Tec. I have one, and it has performed flawlessly.

You really can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned, so it comes down to price and the features you want most.

Love my 640. I can’t comment on the consumption of pellets at high temps as I don’t use it for that. It’s not awful running at 275. Two piece diffuser to me is a must. It’s the only option mine actually has. Be prepared for that, it’s going to happen. Seems to happen to every Yoder. If I was buying again it would be the Yoder

+1 for the Rec Tec. Have one and going to order another one shortly. 6 year warranty and awesome customer service.

Well all my decision was made for me over the weekend. I was lucky enough to win a RT680 on custom built cart with custom grill grates and a cold smoker box on a FB page!!! Couldn't be more excited. Cart and grates are being built this week and should be able to pick it up sometime next week! Thanks all for your input!!!

It seems you are planning on doing alot of hi heat grilling maybe buy a 99 dollar Weber kettle at Walmart for grilling and get a pellet grill for everything else if you will be doing alot of grilling and searing steaks and pork chops and hamburgers you might be disappointed but pellet grills are really nice but for grilling I would take a 99 dollar Weber over a pellet grill anytime

Back