Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

Have been looking at these for a while...as of this morning, I am seeing a message stating that they don't currently carry these? What the...?!

Edit: Not seeing the Wrangler either. Am hoping they are just sold out due to a Christmas run on smokers...but wouldn't they just say out of stock if that was the case?

When online inventory is out the Website will not show them or say not available. Some stores will still have some. When online warehouses get more inventory they come back on the website. Seen it with the Wrangler and O/U several times.........

Crisis averted! Academy has added these back to their website. Unfortunately, no store within 3 hours of me has any in stock...So I wait...

There is a good chance of getting mine for free...My niece wants me to cater her wedding reception...I told her that I couldn't handle the quantity of meat needed to feed so many. Told her I needed a bigger smoker and was trying to justify the $700 purchase to the wife. Her fiance checked into the cost of catering from some of the local joints... They have now offered to gift me with a new Smokehouse as well as supply the meats and ingredients for the sides. I am struggling with this one... On one hand I feel like I would be taking advantage of the newlyweds if I accept the offer...On the other hand, the smoker would be my payment and they would still come out a bit cheaper than if they went with a local place.

Crisis averted! Academy has added these back to their website. Unfortunately, no store within 3 hours of me has any in stock...So I wait...

There is a good chance of getting mine for free...My niece wants me to cater her wedding reception...I told her that I couldn't handle the quantity of meat needed to feed so many. Told her I needed a bigger smoker and was trying to justify the $700 purchase to the wife. Her fiance checked into the cost of catering from some of the local joints... They have now offered to gift me with a new Smokehouse as well as supply the meats and ingredients for the sides. I am struggling with this one... On one hand I feel like I would be taking advantage of the newlyweds if I accept the offer...On the other hand, the smoker would be my payment and they would still come out a bit cheaper than if they went with a local place.

hey it saves them $.....but you could split it with them........

As I understood it, the quote they got was $12 a head for 125...$1500. I figure they can go $500 on the smoker and come out for $300-400 on the stuff I need for the cook...So about half the cost. And I would have a Smokehouse for $300 (after tax and thermos) and a few hours of my time.

Smitty...have you seen the Smokehouse video on the Academy site? Looks like they upgraded to an expanded metal fire grate.

Smitty...have you seen the Smokehouse video on the Academy site? Looks like they upgraded to an expanded metal fire grate.

I'll have to look. Hope so - I've been telling him to change firegrate for a year now....

Well I just watched it - Nope don't think so......you can see the original firegrate on bottom .
Some dummy at Academy video dept put a cooking Grate down there and the real fire grate is on the bottom it looks like to me. Unless they are offering both now.?

Last edited:
Yeah...I see that now. I doubt they are offering both...if they are then they need to weld some support in the middle of the expanded to keep it from warping when heated up...I agree that it was a mistake made by the dummy you referred to.

Wow.. what a Thread! I have been looking on and off at the Smokehouse and did a little searching around and found very little information. THEN THERE IS THIS...

The only worry I have been having is the thinness of the metal. Was hoping its not too inefficient for its size and for the money. I am not looking for a setit and forgetit type cooker (id just buy a traeger if i wanted a slow cooker), but when i do upgrade from the WSM (mainly to get more volume), i want to make sure i am getting something quality. At $700, we are starting to knock on the door of the lower priced higher end cookers.

You REALLY have me thinking now Smitty.

rb

Ok need help. I pulled the trigger but I am having a 50 degree difference from the top to the bottom thermometer. I have my stacks wide open. What's the trick.

Ok need help. I pulled the trigger but I am having a 50 degree difference from the top to the bottom thermometer. I have my stacks wide open. What's the trick.

Empty or loaded with meat.? Meat changes things. Waterpans can even temps. I run waterpans for 2 reasons: 1. Helps even out temps, 2. To catch drippings so they don't burn on the plate above the fire - Stinks. In An empty catch pan they can still burn.

What temp you running.? Too small or too big a fire can do this. It also takes an hour or so for the whole smoker to Heat up and stabalize. Temps will start off farther apart and get closer.
Mine will usually get to 10-15* difference.

What thermos are you using.? Have you checked them in boiling water.? Unless they are Teltru(s) all cheaper ones can be be way off from each other. Switch their positions during a cook or seasoning and see if still the same difference or if the same thermo shows Hotter.

Last edited:
Loaded. I always us a water pan. I try cooking at 250. That might be my issue not letting it get good a warm. How long do you wait till you start loading the meat?

Loaded. I always us a water pan. I try cooking at 250. That might be my issue not letting it get good a warm. How long do you wait till you start loading the meat?

usually 1 hour - sometimes 1.5 hrs. I'll start with charcoal n 2 logs and go over my target temp a lil cuz it drops when meats is put on. Depending on how much meat. then its 1 split/log at a time about every 50 minutes to 1 hour

I'd check and/or swap your thermos positions to double check. If loaded with a lot of meat the temp difference will be greater for first 1 or 2 hrs then slowly get closer as the meats stabalize. Bottom or Top Hotter?

If you bought the Old Country Thermos from Academy they can vary greatly.......I usually get River Country Adjustables from Amazon - I wish I could afford TelTru.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Country-RC-T34CC-Adjustable-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B0154JNBLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487541545&sr=8-1&keywords=Old+country+Adjustable+thermometer[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-Barbecue-Thermometer-aluminum-degrees/dp/B0052EKQI0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487541597&sr=8-3&keywords=Teltru+thermometer[/ame]

http://www.firecraft.com/product/tel-tru-bbq-smoker-thermometer-silver

The wings turned out good the ribs we to much fall off the bone. I gotta get a handle on the temp consistence.

Smitty...my local store seems to have two of these in finally! One final question before I pull the trigger...How many butts will this thing hold comfortably? 4 per grate?

Smitty...my local store seems to have two of these in finally! One final question before I pull the trigger...How many butts will this thing hold comfortably? 4 per grate?

Yup 4 per rack in 8-10 lb range, might could squeeze 5 or 6 but may restrict airflow.......

Back