Best type of Sausage for smoking

madavon

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to smoke a sausage for the first time, and would love some advice.

I've had a bit of a read through many of these posts, but I'm from Australia and I can't find many of the types listed here.

Any Aussie's here know what the best type of sausage I could smoke? Also any advice on temps/techniques etc from anyone else would be greatly appreciated!

Do you like Saveloy or Kransky?

I probably prefer Kranskys, but I don't really know much about sausages. I normally just grab beef or pork sausages from the butcher and grill them. Pretty new to low & slow, and and have been keen to see how they'd go smoking them

Sorry bloke I read your post wrong.
Thought you wanted to make them.
most sausages that we get here will prefer to be low and slowed.
even the crap coles bulk ones , what you going to cook them on?
We often use a Weber kettle and slow cook away from the coals but making smoke.
cheap enough to play with.
The thick pork sausage take a bit of smoke well.
are you near the beach?

AussieTitch is right, most any sausages are good for smoking. Even the commonly referred to (in Victoria anyway) Epping sausages are good smoked.

The kabana and chorizo styles that you can get at Woolworths and Coles are pretty good, along with kransky and especially cheese kransky are very good.

Awesome! I'm using a Weber Smokey Mountain, and am thinking of doing some sausages with some cherry/maybe apple wood.

So if I grab some cheap pork bangers from Coles, they should turn out nicely? How long and at what temp should I smoke them? Do you guys look for an internal temp to know when they're finished, or just go by the look/feel of them?

Cheers for the replies!

Keep it simple while you play.
those woods will be great, slow cook until they feel firm and test one.
the think with slow and low is not to overcook.
Grab some thick beef and try as well.
don't poke the snags, its a cheap way to learn. good luck mate

Back