Kettle mods and brisket cook (pron)

Smoke®

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I extended the legs 10 inches and used emt instead of the thin aluminum for a more comfortable work height and larger footprint. I used a conduit connector for the temp probes and a 3/4" pipe nipple for the air intake. I cut an aluminum plate the size of the charcoal grate and then took 3.5 inches off straight across. I cut a baffle to go from the charcoal grate to a few inches above the grill grate. I burned two loads of charcoal to season and now the cook is on.

Legs
p606366044.gif

Probe entrance
p983437275.gif

Ari intake
p863062849.gif

Charcoal side
p891492294.gif

Cook side
p654187828.gif

That' Grate !!!!

No fear of drilling for you !!!!

I know a few very tall kettleheads that need to see this !!!!

That is inspirational, my back is so envious of you right now I feel a leg extension for my kettle may be coming

5 hours at 225° with the internal at 160°. I moved the brisket to the electric with the temp alarm set so I'll probably get a good nights sleep.
I'll post when I slice.

p700082692.gif

Great work on the modifications.

I never cared much for the copper color in the advertisement photos but it looks very sharp in your photos!

After 16 hours at 225° the brisket probed very tender at 198° and wiggled gelatinlike. I wrapped in foil and rested for 2 hours just in time for lunch. Most all the fat cap is rendered down to a candied textured bark. The taste with pecan and fig wood and a rub that's mostly salt and pepper is, is, outstanding. Now for a cup of Kona Mountain coffee with a shot of Irish Cream and I'm off to make some burnt ends.

After rest
p871278250.gif

Slice
p610543410.gif

Lunch :clap2:
p788762340.gif

I got my yard work done and these burnt ends. Time to kick back, have a cold one and a burnt ends sammich!

p532308532.jpg

That looks great. Picture perfect brisket to me. That thing would make a vegetarian question their faith!

Very nice job on the photos by the way, lighting was great in them, especially the finished brisket.

Back