Farewell cook on the New Braunfels

JCBII

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
JC
The New Braunfels smoker I restored awhile back found a new home at my brother's place. Hopefully he and his wife will smoke a lot of great tasting food with it. For the farewell cook, I smoked a baby back rib and a 4.5lb pork butt using B&B charcoal & pecan wood. The NB held temps around 250° the entire time (per the Tel-tru, so maybe around 225° at the grate level). This little smoker can churn out some pretty good food. Picture was taken sometime around mid-cook.

Attachments

• NB Ribs.jpg
    NB Ribs.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 138
That is the way to say adios! With any luck, you will be able to visit as often as you can and see just how well your brother performs on it.

That is the way to say adios! With any luck, you will be able to visit as often as you can and see just how well your brother performs on it.

Thanks, I wanted to give it one last run before I sent it off to a new home.

My sister-in-law wants to use it first, so I gave her some basic instructions to hopefully make her first cook successful. I also recommended using charcoal with one or two chunks of fruit wood to help with managing temps and reduce the chance of over-smoking (dirty smoke) the food. I wish I could have smoked something while I was visiting so they could go through the steps with me, but time just didn't permit. She plans to smoke a Thanksgiving turkey which makes me a little nervous since it will be her first time using this smoker -- so I recommended she be prepared to "punt" and put the turkey in the oven if things don't go as planned.

Thanks, I wanted to give it one last run before I sent it off to a new home.

My sister-in-law wants to use it first, so I gave her some basic instructions to hopefully make her first cook successful. I also recommended using charcoal with one or two chunks of fruit wood to help with managing temps and reduce the chance of over-smoking (dirty smoke) the food. I wish I could have smoked something while I was visiting so they could go through the steps with me, but time just didn't permit. She plans to smoke a Thanksgiving turkey which makes me a little nervous since it will be her first time using this smoker -- so I recommended she be prepared to "punt" and put the turkey in the oven if things don't go as planned.

There is no shame finishing something in the oven, especially when the option is not eating :wink:

"There is no shame finishing something in the oven, especially when the option is not eating"

I agree, and I want it to be fun for them. No need for a frustrating experience - if things don't go well this first go around, put it in the oven and have something good to eat for TG. :)

That is a nice last cook and a very nice gift to your brother and S-I-L. Tell them to be careful as poultry takes on smoke quickly and can taste bitter

That is a nice last cook and a very nice gift to your brother and S-I-L. Tell them to be careful as poultry takes on smoke quickly and can taste bitter

You're right. I wonder if I should just tell them not to use any wood on this cook. Or maybe just one small chunk of apple wood?

Back