Stick burners

BigTSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Are there any styles of stick burners that don't require a lot of attention while cooking? I'm interested in learning how to cook on a stick burner but conserned that I will have to add wood every 45mins throughout the entire cook.

I'm new in the stick burning world but I love it. A stick every 30-45 mins is the easiest part.:mrgreen: That's beer and fun time. Setting it up and warming the stick burner along with reaching you desired temp/clean smoke is the hard part. Well, I don't consider the beginning hard but that's when you do most of the work and a stick or two every 45 mins is the when it's warm and on auto pilot mode.

Insulated firebox and still add a split every 45 minutes. No matter if it's 20F or 100F outside, still adding a split every 45.

If you don't want to tend a fire, a stickburner is definitely not the way to go. But - tending a fire is my idea of a good time, so when I have time, I run one. When I'm too busy, it's time for the UDS, WSM, etc. There's no getting around tending a fire in a stickburner that I'm aware of.

I've never used one but from what I'm reading, there's money to be made in a stick-fetching, fire-feeding robot... We could call it the iStoker, or something like that.

I say this even though I currently don't own a stickburner, but I used to and I will again. Tending a fire is therapy. Enjoying the outdoors at many different hours of the day, perfecting a clean fire, sipping a few adult beverages, making good food, spending time with family and friends, the list goes on and on. It will take a commitment and stoking the fire every 45 minutes or so, but that is the best and cheapest form of mental therapy that I know of.

_DSC2988_zps295fbe49.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you want the reward without the reap. You will have to do a little work running a stick burner but the food tastes better because of it.

I love my stick burner. Its definitly not a set it and forget it kind of cooker. But the food that comes off of it is amazing. For me there is a certain amount of pride that goes in to it. Anybody can punch in a number on a computer and come back in 4 hours. It takes work and practice to get to know your smoker. If you do decide to get one get the thickest metal you can afford. 1/4" for the main chamber. The thinner the metal the faster it will cool off.
When I cook butts on my Shirley I can bump the temp up to 300 and it takes it 3-3.5 hours to fall to 220.

Just figure out what you want in a cooker. I would recommend a stick burner. Its work, but well worth it

Are there any styles of stick burners that don't require a lot of attention while cooking? I'm interested in learning how to cook on a stick burner but conserned that I will have to add wood every 45mins throughout the entire cook.

Pretty much gotta feed them every 45 minutes to 2 hours on average. At times I can get a 3-4 hour burn but not a lot and have good smoke.

I've never used one but from what I'm reading, there's money to be made in a stick-fetching, fire-feeding robot... We could call it the iStoker, or something like that.

They already make it. It's called a pellet smoker. Except the sticks are very small. :becky:

If you cook hot and fast in the stick burner you can cook in the daylight and only have to add wood a few times. It is a little work and not for everyone.

I say this even though I currently don't own a stickburner, but I used to and I will again. Tending a fire is therapy. Enjoying the outdoors at many different hours of the day, perfecting a clean fire, sipping a few adult beverages, making good food, spending time with family and friends, the list goes on and on. It will take a commitment and stoking the fire every 45 minutes or so, but that is the best and cheapest form of mental therapy that I know of.

_DSC2988_zps295fbe49.jpg

enough said!
WOW

I hate to say this, but you either like to tend a fire or you don't.

I think stickburners are for the little pyro inside a few of us. I REALLY miss my stickburner, but it had to be sold until we get into a larger yarded place complete with a garage. I have a WSM which is smaller and pretty much set and forget. Annnnnnnnnd guess what??? I STILL find myself wondering around fighting the urge to go check the fire. It's in me to tend a fire. I love it. If you don't love it, you'll wind up with a pit purchase that you dread taking advantage of fairly soon.

Back