TripAdvisor's picks America's best BBQ

So neither Memphis or Carolina BBQ make the list?

Magic 8 Ball says "Not very likely"

Austin #9? No mention of Lockhart? Texas #2? Strange list.

I agree! Being from Texas I used to work in Lockhart and have had eaten at every joint in the bar-b-que capital of the world. Kent Black just opened a new place in San Marcos that is INCREDIBLE! Very strange list. Obviously the people who review have not tasted the best Q out there! For those of you who visit central Texas check out Lockhart and the new Kent Blacks in San Marcos.

It's clear you've been around the block with BBQ having knowledge of the Wilson 640 XL.

Thanks, Luvtosmoke,

I forgot to ask how you came by the Wilson 640XL. I would love to find one. Many moons ago, my neighbor in NY had one and it is the only one I have ever seen. He was a physicist and, I believe, he worked at Grumman Aircraft in Bethpage. He was a little sketchy as to how he acquired the Wilson, but I think it was designed by his boss.

When you looked into the grates, you could see that there was something very unusual in the configuration of the smoke distribution. I believe he referred to the effect as an "asymmetric vortices" design. I remember that it had two control handles under the oven that he adjusted at the start of the cook. He remained vague about the design otherwise and would not remove the grates for a better look.

Other than that, I can say the smoke quality and consistency was spot on, and the temp. was clearly stable; he hardly ever had to adjust any control during the cook--- just added fuel.

I would appreciate anything more you can tell me.

Thanks, Luvtosmoke,

I forgot to ask how you came by the Wilson 640XL. I would love to find one. Many moons ago, my neighbor in NY had one and it is the only one I have ever seen. He was a physicist and, I believe, he worked at Grumman Aircraft in Bethpage. He was a little sketchy as to how he acquired the Wilson, but I think it was designed by his boss.

When you looked into the grates, you could see that there was something very unusual in the configuration of the smoke distribution. I believe he referred to the effect as an "asymmetric vortices" design. I remember that it had two control handles under the oven that he adjusted at the start of the cook. He remained vague about the design otherwise and would not remove the grates for a better look.

Other than that, I can say the smoke quality and consistency was spot on, and the temp. was clearly stable; he hardly ever had to adjust any control during the cook--- just added fuel.

I would appreciate anything more you can tell me.

I searched far and wide for my Wilson back in the days (mid 1970's) there was no craigslist and computers were just starting to become popular in the home. After 4 years of searching I found a guy on Mackinac Island in Michigan that was selling one. I flew out to Michigan from the west coast to inspect the Wilson with high hopes all was good and I could make a deal on the elusive Wilson 640XL. All was good, made the deal and the arrangements to ship back home. I was able to glean a little information from Sal the previous owner about the inventor-builder of the Wilson. According to Sal, the inventor-builder was a physicist who lived and I believe built the Wilsons in Wyoming. Sal said the Wilson inventor-builder was a bit of a recluse who never really ventured from his property. No mention of him working at Grumman in NY to my recollection but it's possible I suppose. Sal told me the name of the inventor-builder and for the life of me I can't remember the name, all I can remember his name wasn't Wilson? Sal also informed me that the Wilson smoker line were all limited production smokers. In fact my Wilson 640 XL is stamped #17 of 20 and according to him there was only 10 of the Wilson 1000's ever produced at the time.
The Wilson is an amazing smoker that when built was touted as being "years ahead of time". Amazing the guy never advertised or marketed the smoker and yet had a cult like following for years with smoking aficionado's and science buff's alike. The lack of availability, the Howard Hughes like persona of the inventor- builder, and function of the Wilson smoker have all added to the intrigue the Wilson has and has maintained for decades.
The "asymmetric vortices" design the Wilson employs is one of the many unique features of the smoker. As you previously mentioned about the Wilson 1000XL, the 640XL also incorporates the stainless steel serpentine flue design, automated shutter controls and a built- in boiler that injects humidity through the flue. The firebox also has the "vortex turbinator" valve which aids in starting the fire.

Last edited:
I searched far and wide for my Wilson back in the days (mid 1970's) there was no craigslist and computers were just starting to become popular in the home. After 4 years of searching I found a guy on Mackinac Island in Michigan that was selling one. I flew out to Michigan from the west coast to inspect the Wilson with high hopes all was good and I could make a deal on the elusive Wilson 640XL. All was good, made the deal and the arrangements to ship back home. I was able to glean a little information from Sal the previous owner about the inventor-builder of the Wilson. According to Sal, the inventor-builder was a physicist who lived and I believe built the Wilsons in Wyoming. Sal said the Wilson inventor-builder was a bit of a recluse who never really ventured from his property. No mention of him working at Grumman in NY to my recollection but it's possible I suppose. Sal told me the name of the inventor-builder and for the life of me I can't remember the name, all I can remember his name wasn't Wilson? Sal also informed me that the Wilson smoker line were all limited production smokers. In fact my Wilson 640 XL is stamped #17 of 20 and according to him there was only 10 of the Wilson 1000's ever produced at the time.
The Wilson is an amazing smoker that when built was touted as being "years ahead of time". Amazing the guy never advertised or marketed the smoker and yet had a cult like following for years with smoking aficionado's. The lack of availability, the Howard Hughes like persona of the inventor- builder, and function of the Wilson smoker have all added to the intrigue the Wilson has and has maintained for decades.
The "asymmetric vortices" design the Wilson employs is one of the many unique features of the smoker. As you previously mentioned about the Wilson 1000XL, the 640XL also incorporates the stainless steel serpentine flue design, automated shutter controls and a built- in boiler that injects humidity through the flue. The firebox also has the "vortex turbinator" valve which aids in starting the fire.

i subscribed to this thread just to see you two continue to talk over my head about this mysterious smoker. is there any online evidence of its existence? I have got to see a picture or something! :)

i subscribed to this thread just to see you two continue to talk over my head about this mysterious smoker. is there any online evidence of its existence? I have got to see a picture or something! :)
I don't think you will find anything on google about Wilson smokers because only a few were made and sold to private parties-- to my knowledge. And that was back in the seventies.

If you do find something, please comment on it here. I would love to find one. As I said, I think Myron Mixon used one at the Sparks, NV Nugget contests, but I could not get close enough to be absolutely sure.

Maybe we could coax luvtosmoke to post a picture?

Back