Sorry for another UDS Water Pan Question

Casho

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I know that there has been many threads concerning the pro’s and con’s of using water pans in a UDS (and I have read them all) with the consensus seeming to be that this is unnecessary and results in increased fuel consumption and a loss of flavour from not having the juices vaporise on the coals.

My question has a slightly different slant, as my primarily concern is the potential cancer link with smoke being created that contains benzopyrene (and other nasties) from the juices hitting the coals.

Before I get shouted down about being an alarmist, I would just note that I am pretty sensitive to the risks of bowel cancer as based on my family history I am prone to this from a young age (as are my children).

I have my heart set on buying a Gateway UDS, but I am concerned that I am really losing the benefits of this smoker by using a water pan. Would I be better to just buy a WSM or an offset smoker?

I know that a potential compromise would be to use a diffuser rather than a water pan, but my understanding is that the vaporised smoke could still contain some nasties.

Perhaps, I have blown the health risks out of all perspective, and I am definitely not prepared to turn my back on my love of BBQ, but I don’t think it is unreasonable given my family history to take some precautions. Without the family history, I probably just wanted care.

I would really appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
That is good to know. Those pictures are making me salivate.

Water pans catch drippings, evens out temps and help if smoker runs Hot.

Yup water pan killed this brisket.........:loco:

Ruined these Ribs:

Trashed my Turkey....

The only time I use a water pan is to catch drippings for certain things, even then it's still direct for the first part of the cook because I like the direct energy on the meat...creates more flavors.

If my brisket turns out half as good as that, I would be a happy man!

Is the water pan more of an issue if I intend to cook hot and fast (say around 300 to 320F)?

Is the water pan more of an issue if I intend to cook hot and fast (say around 300 to 320F)?
Yup, it will evaporate, and all those drippings will burn.
I never use a water pan in my UDS or any cooker, but that's just me.
I don't even pan under pork shoulders or other messy meats that I see here people trying to keep their cookers clean.
Probably works for daily guys, but I run my UDS 10 time a season or so.

I just refill every couple hrs. I cooks 300* ish.......

Doesn't sound like too much of an hassle. The Gateway UDS has a second lower shelf. It sounds like I should just buy a second grate to go on this shelf and to put a water pan (which is big enough) to cover the charcoal basket on that grate.

Would it make much a difference if I just cooked the meat directly over a pan on the top grate, so I could just refill without lifting the food grate?

In Australia, the WSM 22" is a fair amount cheaper than the Gateway Smoker. If I insist on using a water pan, should I not bother with the Gateway Smoker and just buy a WSM 22"?

I am not in a position to make my own UDS.

... and in Australia, the WSM 22 is about $371 (US Dollars) cheaper than the Gateway UDS.

Back