Be Honest....Crayovac Marinated Meat

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Most of us agree that "Most" restaurant bbq is not as good as homemade.

But what about Crayovac marinated meats? Do you like those compared to your own?

Personally, I like most of them.

I have tried a couple, I just did not like them. Enough people must like it for them to keep making it.

Jack

Beef tenderloin, believe it or not.....they don't sell at the ordinary high price & I watch for them to hit the "last day" rack......actually really good, soaked for a time like that.....

If you are talking about the ribs, chicken and/or other meats that are preseasoned/marinated at the store I really don't like them......usually.

However, just like 1Buckie pointed out, I never say never. There may be a combo of meat/cryo-marination that I might think is the bees knees! As a matter of fact. If ya count the pre-seasoned carnitas or carne asada at my local mexican store...well it's the bomb.:grin:

Only tried a couple, nothing I was real fond of, so I stopped trying. That sort of stuff does not really fit our buying and cooking profile anyway. We purchase almost no processed or packaged or precooked food as a rule. With the exception of eating out, of course. At home, everything is made from scratch, so the pre-marinated meats just not on our radar.

For me, it's the same as Teleking, since I had to reduce sodium, the premarinated stuff is often too high is sodium.

I don't like em because the salt content is usually way overboard.

Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that any time they pre-season meat, they are hiding the fact that it's not fresh, and trying to cover up nasty smells and brown spots.

I will sometimes buy Carne Asada, though, if it's cheap.

This was one of those......the marinade wasn't too overpowering or salty.....cut the stuff into 'Turd strips.......really good.....

2ndSundayNov2011newcamera010.jpg

Some of it went straight on.....

2ndSundayNov2011newcamera014.jpg

2ndSundayNov2011newcamera035.jpg

Hmmmmm...We eat the fattiest of meats, with bacon #1 on the list for both fat and salt....

But watch out for the salt in dat marinated stuff! :shock:

Hmmmmm...We eat the fattiest of meats, with bacon #1 on the list for both fat and salt....

But watch out for the salt in dat marinated stuff! :shock:

More due to salty taste and content. Bacon... Well it's bacon, can't compare.

Well, I've honestly never tried them, not marinated any way. I like my own concoctions so well, and it is so easy to do, that I've just never tried them.

KC

In my opinion, I perceive the pre-maninated meats as covering something up.

They may just be normal cuts with whatever concoction the pack it in, but with my experience in the food industry; a marinade could hide a multitude of sins...

Bad tougher cuts, off flavors, meat nearing the end of usable shelf life repackaged, who knows.... They also raise the price and charge the same price per pound for the liquid it bathes in.

If I cook marinaded meat, I prefer to prepare it myself, I control the quality of the meat, the amount of salt, and most of all the flavors.

Nothing stops you from continuing to purchase these, but once you try making your own you will see a difference in taste and quality and will never want anything else.

Mad Man is right. A lot of those cuts are lower grade. The liquid will often contain a mixture using papaya juice. It contains an enzyme that tenderizes the meat, making you think its a good cut.

I've picked up a couple of the pork tenderloin packages for a quick weeknight dinner. They were a little salty, but tasted good.

Fri. I picked up a small pork roast for supper that was labeled "peppercorn and garlic". They got the pepper part right for sure!! whoa!

One thing I've noticed is that the marinade flavor in the packaged stuff always seems to penetrate deeper into the meat than when someone marinades at home. One person commented about using papaya as a tenderizer...as if papaya is bad? :doh:

One thing I've noticed is that the marinade flavor always seems to penetrate deeper into the meat than when someone marinades at home. One person commented about using papaya as a tenderizer...as if papaya is bad? :doh:

Papaya (papain enzyme) isn't bad, but if meat's left in it too long, it'll turn to oatmeal-like mush......ask me how I know this......:caked:

Back