Tried tablitas tonight -- Fail...

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Reaction score
I picked up some nice looking tablitas at the Mexican market after hearing about them. I thought I would give them a try. Shook on Peppered Cow, let them set for an hour, them grilled over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side.

They had terrific flavor, but they were tough as a boot. So I must be missing a step along the way. Should I marinate them? Pound the hell out of them with a Jaccard? Other?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

We get them cuts from our Cambodian Butchers.
marinade overnight in Korean style marinade and grill like you did.
Come out Beaut,always a bit chewy but never as tough as Boots

Never heard of them...What cut are they? Maybe use a tenderizer like the jaccard.

Never heard of them...What cut are they? Maybe use a tenderizer like the jaccard.

They are a cut through the short rib. I still have one batch. I'm going to jaccard the hell out of them, marinate overnight using pineapple juice (bromelain), then grill. If they are still tough, I'm done with them.

I Jaccard them and marinate with some kiwi, trick a Korean friend taught me. Just don't use too much or marinate too long or they'll just disintegrate when they hit the grill. Hmmm... How would I know that??? :rolleyes:

Oh, flanken cut short ribs, you definitely want to marinate them. The pineapple is a good thought. We use those for Korean ribs, they're a little chewy even when done right.

Back