confession

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My name is Nate and I have been smoking for about 3 years. I have a confession that may get me kicked off this forum. I really don't care for the flavor of either Hickory or Mesquite. When I smoke it is almost always with fruit wood. I use mainly a mixture of apple and pecan.

I prefer using Pecan wood, oak wood, or fruit woods. I'm not a big fan of hickory or mesquite either.

Im with you, specially for BBQ comps where you dont want to overpower the meat.

I too do not like the flavor of hickory or mesquite. I use all food woods, apple, cherry, orange, grapefruit, lemon, peach, etc. they seem to have less bite.

I was born in TX and don't like mesquite, not really a fan of hickory either. Pecan, oak and fruit wood for me too.

Nate,
Based on your username I can safely assume you are a Packer fan and because of that I vote you can stay no matter what type of wood you smoke with! :clap2:

Our house is pretty partial to apple, cherry and pecan but we do go to mesquite for beef sometimes, especially if we are going to pull it for enchiladas.

I like the fruits best also. But I use the AMNPS, and sometimes the fruit pellets don't burn as well so I have to mix some hickory.

I like mesquite only with grilled steaks. I use mostly fruit and nut woods, but will use a mix of apple chunks and hickory chips with ribs.

I'm a weird Texan, I like hickory and that's about it. Not a fan of pecan or mesquite, the smoke just smells funny to me. Apple isn't bad but too mild, I prefer a bolder smoke flavor even on poultry.

Hickory only get's used for beef and then it could be maple, mulberry, apple

:ban: Ban them! Ban them ALL!!!! ok..jk...don't...I'm not a big fan of mesquite, hickory is king though.

I'm was born and raised in Texas and I never use mesquite. I may use a little hickory on brisket but prefer pecan and oak. For pork I like pecan, apple and cherry. I vote that you can stay even though you are a Packer's fan.:crazy:

I could be wrong here, but I think pecan is just a type of Hickory. Although I do think Pecan smoke is less harsh than most "hickories".

Pecan ( Carya illinoensis )

Carya – typical hickories

Carya glabra = common names are pignut, sweet pignut, coast pignut hickory, smoothbark hickory, swamp hickory, and broom hickory

I believe it is Chris Lily that reccomends Pignut Hickory.

I go with pecan, because this part of Oklahoma is overloaded with them, so the wood is cheap to buy. I've enjoyed apple. Hickory seems fine as well. I want to try more woods :) I want to try mesquite again for grilling.. I used it one time years ago when I didn't know anything about bbq and liked it with my new york steaks.

Pecan and apple are my go-to's. Cherry I love also, but it's not as easy to come by around here. Mesquite I could take or leave on most days. I don't hate it, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Back