pork shoulder chuck roast? help needed

...Dave

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
stopped off at the butcher last night and got a couple of these things. looked around for a help topic but could only find pork loin stuff and i dont think these are the same thing? heres a pic of the cut, would like suggestions on how to prepare and also temps / time to smoke in a wsm. thx

KGJ6q4nP838XA9wFCi679XeiuTPmgR2QBmUb4KZwKYQ=s350-no

I've never heard of it :confused: Maybe someone has.

The picture looks like a loin. Unless there is more marbling that we can see, I'd be tempted to cook it to 140, rest and slice, but that's a SWAG based on the picture.

hi everybody, sorry for the confusion :-D

I've never heard of it :confused: Maybe someone has.

The picture looks like a loin. Unless there is more marbling that we can see, I'd be tempted to cook it to 140, rest and slice, but that's a SWAG based on the picture.

mystery solved, i called my butcher, the real butcher and spoke directly with him and not the people working the counter, this evidently has 3 names around here, its called a pork shoulder chuck roast, a butt roast, or more commonly known as a boston butt.
so now that we know what were actually dealing with, here are better pics on dinner plate for size a reference.

so, how would you all suggest i prep and smoke a "boston butt" in a wsm?

thanks ...Dave

1ZgdlKYATXjJ_-co7WDDXpfLIBMksOtL3OtWcAxnRrI=w648-h486-no

pGKtAE3K-kzZf_46pC9Ooj1VRfCBctZf9kvRLBLUH8M=w648-h486-no

That doesn't look like any boston butt I have seen.

This is a boston butt...

porkshoulderroast.jpg

But, let's go with it :rolleyes: and say he is right.

Cook it until it is probe tender.

Yeah...that looks a lot closer to being a pork loin type cut. I'd suggest coating it with olive oil, cracked black pepper, and some sea salt. Cook around 275-ish until 145 internal. That will get you a nice exterior and keep it nice and juicy...

wow, im really starting to think this got mislabeled? sure dont look anything like rons pic.
oh well, ill do the probe tender and call it good.

next time im at the store ill look for it again and see if it is actually a loin?

oh well, ill do the probe tender and call it good.

Definitely NOT trying to be a know it all....but you might want to reconsider that. If it's a loin...which it really looks like with the lack of intramuscular fat....you won't get probe tender....

Definitely NOT trying to be a know it all....but you might want to reconsider that. If it's a loin...which it really looks like with the lack of intramuscular fat....you won't get probe tender....

well i dont know anything other than how to bring my smoker up to temp, so i will consider any suggestions what to do next?

ive only smoked a few things once other than ribs, and i keep notes on what i did and how it turned out, i have done a loin before so i think i better go with that method.

It really looks like a loin to me, so cooking it like one would be best. If it's tough after cooking you can always use the meat in a stew or chili.

I'd cook it at 275 or higher until it is 140 internal then rest and enjoy!

ok, will do, 1 last question before i get busy. is it ok to freeze loin like i did my pulled pork?

What you have is the what we call the ribend of the porkloin that was deboned the left side of the 2 pic is where it would be going into the shoulder of the pig or if it was beef the chuck thats probley why they called it that. so what you have is a piece of boneless porkloin

already have another question :-D

is there much of a noticeable difference in temps and cook time between using the top and bottom racks on a wsm?

neighbor seen me lighting chimney then went to the store and got him some (pre-packaged) pork loin too. i told him i could only smoke loin today, but really i want too see if his looked like mine, and other than the shape they looked alike.

Hey Dave, I am not a butcher, but I think what you neighbor got looks more like a tenderloin. It's cooked the same as they loin, so no problem there.

On my WSM, I really got tired of trying to use the second rack down inside the drum. I got three or four small cans like you would get tomato sauce or mushrooms in, rinsed them out and remove the wrappers, loaded my upper rack with meat and the cans spaced out around the outside, added the second rack on top of the cans, and then loaded meat on the now top rack. I have done this with sausages and ribs, flat small items. You could probably do the same putting the smaller loins on the lower rack and the larger on top.

IMG_3623_zpsw5odlgdb.jpg

Whole lot easier then going drum diving to get to the second rack... :wink:

i just pulled the wrapper out of the trash, and your right, its a pork tenderloin. didnt really know there was a difference and obviously im not that great at meat identification, but im getting better.

Back