THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
So perusing the bargain bin a butcher drops about 4 packages I'm not familiar with. They're about the size of half dollars and maybe an inch thick. They're lined up shrink wrapped, maybe 8 medallions. Anyone cooking these marrow holsters that have found a great way to prepare? Seasoning, reverse seared. Serving suggestions?

Help

Please

Lots of recipes on the Web.
Most are variations of this from Food Network:

"If you want to make your own, scare up some marrow bones at a butcher shop, place them upright on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast at 450 for 15 minutes. Scoop out the marrow, spread it on toast and top with sea salt."

Add herbs, spices, etc as desired.

TIM

Beef butter or nectar of Gods. It's good stuff Adams. Do it. Goes great on burgers as a topping too. Makes you burgers rich and super tasty. Sirporkalot used to do it a alot.

At the very minimum, season and smoke it on a foil pan

nvjY4Ipl.jpg

Fresh bread if you can

8CyKxf4l.jpg

Scoop

Sj6B6rdl.jpg

Serve

gecXAs1l.jpg

I've got bags at home when Costco business put it on clearance. They still carry them though

imageService

Cowgirl has done bone marrow medallions.I think she used a CI skillet so the marrow that melted did not escape.I have a couple packs of canoe cut marrow bones in the freezer I am going to try.I have never tried it but it is highly recommended by most that have tried it.

I had marrow for the first time while on vacation in June.
It was in canoe form, probably just seasoned with salt and pepper. Very fatty, very rich. I liked it and would cook the for myself.
I would do then in a CI pan on the grill.

Cowgirl has done bone marrow medallions.I think she used a CI skillet so the marrow that melted did not escape.I have a couple packs of canoe cut marrow bones in the freezer I am going to try.I have never tried it but it is highly recommended by most that have tried it.

Yep, I do them quite often. Give them a bit of smoke and catch the drippin's. They cook fast. You don't want them to melt away... keep an eye on em.

6dtcvFm.jpg

gmXOU5Z.jpg

MXXtOKE.jpg

GT7HuPv.jpg

Edited to add.. I like mine topped with parsley salad.

Last edited:
I forgot to say...
I rinse the bones to remove any bone dust. Pat dry and drizzle with olive oil before seasoning with cracked black pepper and coarse salt. I like to keep it simple.
The parsley salad is minced flat leaf parsley, scallions, red onions, minced garlic, minced capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil... I think that's all. There are several recipes online.

Back