Need help thinking of a pot roast/chuck roast recipes name

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Have you ever not been able to think of a name of a recipe? :frusty:

It's something I grew up with and for the life of me can't think of the name but i can picture it clearly. It's kind of a sweet savory tender beef with a reddish sauce sauce that had carrots, onions, and chopped celery in it. It was always served with mashed potatoes and we spooned the sauce over the potatoes.

That's all i got.....OK what is it?? OH i think it starts with the letter S if that helps.

i would say its a version of stewed beef.which could have anything you want in it.my grandmother used to do something like that.

That was a staple for me growing up. I still can't figure out what makes it Swiss lol

now that i see alton browns recipe. my wifes friend makes that and puts it on rice.. she calls it steak and rice... best stuff ever. now ill have to make it.thanks for the post.

Sounds like traditional Yankee Pot Roast to me:p Actually I bet given your geographic location it is a variation of the Amish Schnitzel meat recipe that traditionally uses veal.
This sound close
SCHNITZEL MEAT RECIPE

* 1½ lbs. veal steak cut in cubes
* 2 tblsp. shortening
* 2 tblsp. flour
* 1 cup tomato juice
* 2 carrots, diced
* 1 small onion, chopped fine
* Salt and pepper
* Flour

Dredge meat with flour and season. Melt shortening (preferably bacon fat) and brown the meat in it. Remove meat from the pan, stir in the flour and blend. Add the tomato juice and stir well until mixture thickens. Add meat, carrots and onion. Cover closely and simmer for 45 minutes.

That was a staple for me growing up. I still can't figure out what makes it Swiss lol

LOL, no kidding. I can't remember if we used round steak or beef roast....I don't think it was cubed steak.

now that i see alton browns recipe. my wifes friend makes that and puts it on rice.. she calls it steak and rice... best stuff ever. now ill have to make it.thanks for the post.

Yes rice or mashed potatoes is typical. LOL, it's getting made soon!

Back