pot roast going down

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Soooo,

I was gonna do two chucks on the grill for pot roast.. After opening the chucks I saw so much fat and silver skin it made it impossible to grill after trimming. The meat was also super loose. I don't know maybe I was too drunk /shrug and I was ocd but I just couldn't let all that silver skin and fat slide. I cubed some and left some in larger strips. I browned in my wok and threw it all in the slow cooker. baby carrots, red potatoes and an onion. I also had an issue with my broth. I got the boxed one and when I opened the top the pull tab was already off it. Did the lid do it or was it already opened. I mean who wants to take that chance it's been in my cup boards for a couple months lol. Sigh, Oh well the crock pot will save the day. Here's the seasoning I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMQSGSS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry. I don't think the lack of broth is a loss, at all. Most all of the commercial stuff isn't very good. You can use a little water and the roast will make the best natural jus.

I like the organic beef 'better than bullion' from costco. It's good, and lives in the fridge, always waiting for me. And it is not too salty.

I fall into the same issue with pork picnics. I rarely use them cause I know how packed they are with sinew and silver skin. I end up butchering them into 5 chunks to get all the gross stuff out. Of course the bone makes great broth. I also use the old school bullion cubes. Cheap, always on hand, and fat free flavor for whatever. My humble $.02.

finished

Finished... Overcooked a little and it looks like a mess but it's pretty good. I hate hard veggies so I tend to run my pot roast and stews longer than most do probably. I separated the big strips of meat from the smaller cubes and veggies. I made corn bread, and I am just now putting an apple pie in. I will post those two together when the pies done. I will have to look at bullion instead of the boxed or canned broth.

Last edited:
The boxed broths and stock have a lid with a sharp piece of plastic that cuts off the pull tab when you unscrew the cap. It's a "feature". It tripped me up too once and I actually went to the grocery store to exchange it, thinking that my chicken stock had already been opened. Grocery manager said I wasn't the only one who tried to return a box for the same reason.. other customers confused about it too. It's completely normal.

Back