Biscuits??????

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I love good biscuits but I ain't a biscuit cook; my experience with cooking biscuits is to open a can of Pillsbury Grands and follow the instructions. But I want that to change and can't think of a better place to ask for help. I think I want to do square baking pans of buttermilk goodness but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Bring it on!

Dave this is the first recipe I really liked for whatever reason and turned out better than normal or other recipes. I've since added cheese to it and played with the salt and even adding sugar. But this was my favorite base recipe to work with. I'm still playing with different brands of flour and things like self rising vs all purpose, bread, etc

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220943/chef-johns-buttermilk-biscuits/

Get some pork lard, cut it in with flour. You will need a pastry cutter or a couple of forks. Look up a recipe for how much water to use and don't over work the dough. Less is better, as far as working the dough. Let it rest and cut to whatever shape you like.

Jason has a great recipe to try also all though don't worry about the brushing it with buttermilk.

Get some pork lard, cut it in with flour. You will need a pastry cutter or a couple of forks. Look up a recipe for how much water to use and don't over work the dough. Less is better, as far as working the dough. Let it rest and cut to whatever shape you like.

Jason has a great recipe to try also all though don't worry about the brushing it with buttermilk.

Ya definitely agree with the don't brush with butter milk. Tops didn't brown as well for me. Brush with butter after :becky:. And I really just fold it into itself about 3 times lightly. Then rectangle/square it up and I typically just cut the biscuits in squares to optimize waste :clap2:

One other thing was the first time I made this I needed a little more buttermilk than the recipe called for other times it seemed spot on. That might have been something I learned was the feel of the right mix of wet and dry.

I'll post my recipe when I get home. I've tried them all and was very happy with the one I'll get to you.

I was initially intimidated by scratch biscuits. I think the "cutting in" of butter or lard worried my. No big deal and so worth it.

12 oz. Flour
4 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Baking soda
4 Tbsp. Butter (chilled)
4 Tbsp. Lard (chilled)
1 Cu. Buttermilk
1-1/2 tsp. Salt (kosher)

Mix dry ingredients.
Cut in butter and lard.
Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until you have a ball of dough.
Fold the dough over itself 4 or 5 times.
Pat the dough out to about 1/2" thick.
Cut the biscuits out and put in a baking pan with tall sides, keeping them touching each other and against the sides of the pan. This makes them rise upwards and not sideways.
Bake at 425* for about 20 minutes (color is what I go by).
You also know they are done when the I.T. is 190*-200*.

Edit: If the dough is too wet to handle, without sticking to everything, just add flour until it is easy to work.

Last edited:
Red Lobster Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzR_JThtF_Q"]Red Lobster Biscuits aka Cheddar Garlic Biscuit - YouTube[/ame]

Dave, Try using bisquik and buttermilk instead of water. Hand roll your biscuits and place them on an aluminum plate. Put the plate in a Dutch oven with (4) 3/4" hex nuts in the bottom. Put the DO on a small bed of coals and a couple shovels of coals on the lid. They usually turn out very good.

Dave this is the first recipe I really liked for whatever reason and turned out better than normal or other recipes. I've since added cheese to it and played with the salt and even adding sugar. But this was my favorite base recipe to work with. I'm still playing with different brands of flour and things like self rising vs all purpose, bread, etc

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220943/chef-johns-buttermilk-biscuits/

This looks like a great place to start recipe wise.

My grandmother made great biscuits. Tried to get her to show me how to make them:

Put some flour in a bowl. (How much? As much as you need for the people your're feeding.)

Cut in some shortening (she always used Crisco). (How much? Just keep cutting it in with your fingers until it feels right.)

Add some buttermilk? (How much? Enough to get the dough to form right)

Pretty frustrating at the time. But looking back, she cooked for a big farm family for decades sometimes making biscuits three times a day because they were good, cheep and filling.

When I seriously started trying to make biscuits again a few years ago I started to realize part of the trick is to make them a lot. I've had good results with different fats - butter and 'health food' palm and/or coconut shortenings mostly lately. I'd use lard but one daughter is vegetarian.

We always used White Lily self rising flour but any light flour works well.

There are tricks like not twisting the biscuit cutter (helps them rise) and dimpling the center with your thumb (keeps them from getting too domed). But for me, there wasn't anything that helped more than just making a bunch of batches until I got the feel for how much to work the dough, how much liquid to add, etc.

I was initially intimidated by scratch biscuits. I think the "cutting in" of butter or lard worried my. No big deal and so worth it.

Or freeze it and grate it into the flour mixture.

You can't paint biscuits into a corner, so you just gotta practice. The following is the definitively greatest recipe of all times for good ole' cathead biscuits. Here are the basics:

Buttermilk
Self-risin' flour (nana used "WR")
Cast Iron Skillet
Canola Oil
Pet milk (for later use, but you can also use regular milk)

Preheat oven to 400
Put some oil in the skillet
Flour in a bowl, make a well in the middle (I use about 4 cups of flour for 5-6 people)
Add buttermilk and mix it a little

Here's the tricky part. While mixing, you "chase" it AFTER it starts to follow you. It's a consistency thing.

Add oil, keep mixing.
Add more flour so it doesn't get sticky, then begin folding it over itself.
Pinch off a biscuit then put it in the skillet.
Keep doin't that til the skillet's full. Put a little canola oil atop the biscuits.
Watch 'em and pull 'em out when they're golden brown.

Now, you can't have these and also *not* make pepper gravy, which starts with makin' bacon.

After you fry bacon, plate it, and turn off the heat. Drain but keep some of the fat grease. Sift some flower into the grease, mix a little. Lots and lots of black pepper, until you think you've probably added too much (impossible, really). Salt. Stir. Turn heat back on. add pet milk after browning the gravy mix you've already stirred. Add water if it's too thick. Bring it to a simmer, not a boil.

Then have the greatest biscuits and gravy you've ever had.

Maybe Greg (gtr) will chime in. Had the privilege of having Greg's homemade biscuits topped with Neil's (Bigmista's) fatty gravy at last year's SoCal bash.

Back