THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stubbs is the best locally available briquette in my opinion. If only KBB wasn't so farking cheap at the sales!

I have never had a problem with it. In fact, I like it so much, that since I first tried it, it pretty much all I use. I keep a little RO lump around for caveman steaks, but other than that, it's all stubbs.
(Most of my use, is using the snake method, in my kettle.)

Has any1 ever seen this with Stubbs ? Heavy non stop white smoke

What temp?

My dad is from West TN, so I do really low and slow (225 no more) on whole pork shoulders. tried Stubbs and I had a similar problem.

When I do other meats at higher temps (275 or above), I don't have any problems with Stubbs.

Just my experience

I have used Stubbs briquettes almost exclussivly for three years in pro comps. and love it. I load my fire basket with a bag and leave a corner open in the front. Light half a chimmney of coals then pour into the opening in the fire basket. I cook between 230° and 240° and one bag will last about 10 hours in my Backwoods Competitor.It is a gret charcoal for heat and flavor. I only use 2-3 small chunks of flavor wood mixed in the fire box.
Hope this helps.

Interesting thread. I've used Stubbs with great success and like it.

This year I've been using Kingsford Comp because Costco has had them on sale. Couldn't beat it.

Lastly, I've done beef Short Ribs (4 bone plates) a few times and although I don't wrap 'em, seven hours seems optimistic, under done and chewy to me. YMMV. G'luck.

I use stubbs on my uds for everything. It's easier to control than lump for me. Never had any issues with excessive white smoke. Good luck.

I may have to make a change to my previous post.

The other day, I got a bag of stubbs, from lowes, that looked a little different, but I didn't think much of it. I figured it was just a mew package thing. I didn't notice any difference in how it acted, but that was using the snake method. Today, I needed some extra cooking space, so I loaded up a chimney, to throw in the kettle. Man, is the smoke rolling out of that chimney!!! I guess it didn't get my attention using the snake method, because I was lighting so few coals at a time.

Note: Once it got lit good, it settled right down, as far as the smoke goes.:clap2:

Last edited:
Back