Anyone else prefer smoking at high-temp?

Ciggy5

Reaction score
So, I've been in the market for an inexpensive new smoker lately, and am having trouble finding one. A lot of the reason is because all these ratings and reviews on websites are from people only talking about smoking turkeys or burgers at 200°. That got me wondering; am I the only guy that likes high temp?

Of course I'm not the only one, but I'm definitely not in the popular group. I first picked up higher-temp smoking from watching John Mueller smoking brisket at 300°+ on the Travel Channel. After seeing that, I've never smoked anything below 275° and haven't looked back since. Everything I've made at high temp has been better than at low temp.

The picture is of some ribs I smoked on a propane grill. My dad has this 4-burner number made by Chapter 11--er--I mean Brinkmann, so I used the chips in tinfoil over one or two burners method. Never went below 275° and the ribs were so impossibly tender and moist that I can get hungry after a full meal thinking about them.

Anyone else into high temp? What have you made? What kind of pit/grill/cooker have you used? I really don't want to be alone lol

Attachments

• Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 464
You're definitely not alone! I run all my smokers 275 to 350 depending on what I'm cooking. Nothing wrong with low and slow but I too like hot n fast better.

At the least, I would say that hot and fast is not far from overtaking low and slow on this forum. I aim for 300 and am thinking about trying hotter.

Interesting. So even for thinner cuts, like ribs, it still comes out as moist as 225-250?

Depends on what Im cookin and how much Cerveza is on hand ! :clap2:

I can relate to to much Cerveza, creats cremations sometimes.
I find it hard to cook at low temps, its an Alien way for me to Cook.
Unless its in an Oven or something

My main drum smoker doesn't have a thermometer anymore, but I can tell you by the sizzle I hear on the heat deflector plus the heat I feel on the side of the drum, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm cooking at 350 a lot of the time. Food always comes out tender and juicy, plus I get way more play time compared to cooking at 225-ish....but that's just me.

The only time I have my meat below 275 is if I'm holding it in the oven .:grin:

275* is "hot and fast" ??? Interesting!!

When my cooker is loaded up full, there is a 25* to sometimes 50* difference between top and bottom racks, depending on what I have in there. I put my bigger cuts up top and run around 300*, and the ribs and smaller stuff on bottom around 260-275*. The results are fantastic, love hot and fast.

Seems like you are new sound these parts.:heh: Hot and fast is becoming the norm. I was to the point that 350 was low for me. The last few months I have been trying to keep it closer to 300. Started to feel like I was rushing everything or just trying to see how hot I could go.

I do the "275-325 boogie on my cookers. I used to call myself using "HnF" - but there is a segment of the Brethren who seem protective of that term and apply it to much higher temps. The things some folk find to take issue with is a wonderment sometimes :confused:

I guess I could call it "hotter and faster than 225" but is sure does not roll off the tongue well. :-D

I was always 225 until visiting this site. I also used to always use water in my WSM before visiting this site. :icon_cool

275-325 is my target and a BGE makes it easy to lock it in. Works for me.

275-300 works for me depending what I am cooking.

Interesting. So even for thinner cuts, like ribs, it still comes out as moist as 225-250?
Yes

I cook Ribs at 275 - 300 I don't wrap, I serve my Ribs dry putting sauce on the table, my wife likes sauce and I think she is the only one who uses sauce, I can't remember a guest ever using sauce. The important thing is not the temperature you're cooking at it's pulling them when they are done.

I cook Butts and Brisket at 300 for four hours or when I have the color I'm looking for then wrap in BP and crank up the temp to 325+. Last Butt I did took 5.5hrs, last Brisket 6.5hrs.

I remember the days when I used to cook at 225 thinking it was the holy grail afraid to go up to 250, watching my meat go into stalls for hours, no more. For those that like to go 225 - 250 and cook a piece of meat for 12-14hrs more power to ya, whatever gets you your desired result.

I would venture to say after seeing several polls members have put up, that a majority of people on this forum cook 275+

I personally prefer to cook most of my meats at 300+. I typically hover about 325.

Back