Texas Ruined Me.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
After trying Hill Country bbq I have found that I now prefer smoked beef and pork without sauce and without a fancy rub. I'm addicted to salt and peppered, smoked beef and pork butt. I do still like sauce on grilled chicken and smoked ribs.

Rarely sauce on ribs,virtually never on beef or chicken. If it's cooked right it's never needed or wanted.

Glad to know it's not just regional. Cooking in KCBS contests and not placing well made me question what I was feeding the judges. I placed a few times, but could never sauce a brisket. I finally came to the realization that competition bbq really was a hobby and even high places could not pay the expenses. I now just cook at home and a few local contests with my Texas roots and have more fun and taste to my liking. Long story short, I got to the point I wouldn't even eat my own bbq. I am again..like I need it.

Yep. The simplicity of Texas Q is seductive. That is where I first really fell in love with teh stuff.

Funny thing is, being from the Ca central coast I grew up on tri tip. Sauce on tri tip was unheard of. Where did I go astray?

Never been to Texas but I think stumbled into simplicity...Salt, pepper, garlic, real wood pit and never looked back.

And don't forget our Craigslist ads are bigger too. Just saw a $20,000 smoker ad out of Waller TX. Only 600 miles away from me, dang it.

I too have never had Texas BBQ but I like the flavor of the meat to shine through. I do like BBQ Sauce however, I use it as salad dressing on baked potatoes and to doctor up beans.

I agree with previous comments. It's KISS for me and there's nothing simpler than S&P. I've messed around with a few variations of S&P rubs and sauces on the side. So far, I've concluded that meat, heat and smoke are the essentials, a simple S&P rub greatly enhances the bark and sauce is optional and may clash.

S&P only or add some onion and/or garlic is where I've been for several years. I still stray occassionally but always come back to the basics.
Sauce is normally offered as a side option if at all.
I forewarn any guests and tell them to bring their favorite sauce if they want. Most only bring it once though.

I use rubs that are not only salt and pepper, but there is always a salt and pepper base and depending on how much salt is in the additional rub determines how sparingly I'll use it. I find myself searching for low salt rubs since the meat doesn't need more of it.

Last edited:
Like some of the others, I never tasted texas BBQ, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one that is not too keen on sauces.

I will, however, use garlic and chili in most rubs as I am just addicted to that stuff

Back